TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

74 Matador sedan gas tank leak...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Rebel Alliance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 74 Matador sedan gas tank leak...
    Posted: Jul/27/2015 at 12:11am
Hi,

I just picked up a 74 Matador sedan and it appears there is a hole in the top of the gas tank. I've not been able to take a look as it's parked a distance away.

Symptoms include fuel smell, and gas slopping out of the tank when corning (according to my ride).

What are the solutions? Are Matador sedan gas tanks available - new or re-furbished? Is repair the only option?

Thanks,
Chris
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2015 at 1:19am
It's unusual for a rust hole at the top of the tank if that's what it is. Most likely it's leaking at the sending unit. The locking ring may have loosened or the gasket/O-ring has failed. You'll have to wait until you get the car to get under there and look. I don't imagine new tanks are available but used should be.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2015 at 6:05am
Also check the filler tube. Maybe not in White Rock but in eastern Canada I have seen one so rusted and full of holes it could be crushed like an empty pop can. But it wasn't a Rambler, just a Pontiac of 96 vintage.
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2015 at 6:35am
All full size Matador/Rebel and Ambo's have the tank inlet running through the left frame rail.  Then a hose connects the tank to the body fill tube.  It is right behind the left rear tire and above the exhaust pipe, with a heat shield to keep the exhaust heat off the rubber hose.  It is VERY common for this hose to be deterioriated, cracked, broken, damaged and leak fuel during cornering and if the cracks are on the bottom it will leak fuel on the ground while filling.....there are no "replacement" tanks available, very few spare were even built and is found are very expensive.  If the tank does have holes, companies like "Tank-Re-Nu" can coat them with a fuel proof coating.

Hope this helps.

Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2015 at 6:45am
Many years ago my Machine would leak fuel if the tank was fully filled. Turned out to be a split in the rubber hose that connects the pickup to the main hard line.

-Steve-

Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2015 at 11:38am
I recently pulled a stock monster tank (25 gallon?) out of a 1974 gremlin.
The various hoses all crumbled when I attempted to disconnect them.

Rubber does not last forever...
Gremlin Dreams
The Rebel Alliance View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Rebel Alliance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2015 at 12:30am
thanks very much- there is certainly a leak where the hose meets the tank (based on staining) so if that's not the cause, it's certainly something.
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2015 at 2:03am
Make sure you get "fuel filler hose" to replace it. A radiator hose won't hold up to gasoline. Your local parts store should have it.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2015 at 5:56am
While the tank is down replace all rubber and synthetics.
It's that simple.

It is VERY easy to drop a fuel tank.
Gremlin Dreams
Kensey View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kensey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2015 at 6:59am
Just got a Gremlin. Seller failed to tell me that when you put gas in it dumps out! Was a huge crack in the rubber filler neck. Easy fix, I'm usually not that luck. So start with the easy stuff if you don't know where it's coming from. Don't just jump into a new gas tank. My 2c.
Gremmy Power!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic