TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

74 Javelin brakes & suspension

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1974Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 74 Javelin brakes & suspension
    Posted: Jun/26/2014 at 10:23pm
First off, I'm looking to upgrade my KH disc brakes on my 1974 javelin. I have everything except calipers from a 2007 Mustang GT and I have been looking at these for guidance:
http://theamcforum.com/forum/13-disc-brakes-for-amcs_topic49307.html
http://amccars.net/cgi/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1203830266

I see that drum hubs are used in both these conversions. Would there be any advantage or difference if I were to use a disc hub after machining the rotor off? I plan on a little road racing with this car and want to choose the right hub. 

Secondly, I'm trying to decide between a coilover setup like Javelin74 is using on his road racer project, http://theamcforum.com/forum/az-road-racer-project_topic40054_page4.html, or using custom lowering springs from http://www.eatondetroitspring.com/

The coil springs are cheaper than the coilovers, but what will I be sacrificing besides adjustability? I also got a quote for custom leaf springs for lowering the car; Is this what others use when road racing with stock style leafs? or are lowering blocks adequate ( I wouldn't think so) during track days?

Another option would be to use lowering plates with stock style coils, but I'm not sure how that would work with my disc brake swap and track abuse. 
1974 Javelin 258, getting there!

2006 Mustang 4.0 V6
prostreetamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2014 at 9:02am
I did the 13" brake swap on my Javelin and have over 15,000 miles on them already. The only issue so far is a leaking booster so I am swapping from the 8" street rod style single diaphragm unit to a dual unit. I see no reason you could not use the bigger hub from the disc brakes if you machine off the rotor. I had planned to try this but gave away my Kelsey hayes brakes to another club member for his SCRambler. I doo have some spare KH spindles and some worn out rotors but no spare time anymore to try this.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

77 Prostreet 401/727 AMX,

[/URL]
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2014 at 10:00am
I've gone a similar way as prostreet, brake hardware wise, but used a Ford E150 Van rotor and cut the rotor from hub. Just because it was very sturdy and works on MII spindles. From what i see both Ford and AMC use the same bearings for Concord spindles and MII spindles. I don't think the spindles are any longer between them so making a custom hub can be done, like how I did mine. Still have not completed the brakes as of yet, though I have still a bit of work to do with my custom suspension before I get to completing that.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/27/2014 at 9:46pm
I did the Crown Vic conversion with drilled and slotted rotors which work well. I wouldn't use lowering plates for track use but that's my opinion. It's way to much stress on the bolts and the plates.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/28/2014 at 8:23am
I also did not use lowering plates even though I have them. I used Ridetech Shockwaves on an otherwise stock front suspension. I did use all urethane bushings though. I am also using a sn-95 Mustang steering rack, This car is defiantly a 2 hander in spirited driving. It will kick the back out on rough roads during hard corning. If I end up doing some track time with my car I will probably consult a better driver to help set up my full air suspension. I frequently drag the front air dam under hard braking, even with 80 psi in the front shocks.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

[/URL]
1974Javelin View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1974Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2014 at 3:59pm
Thanks guys. Looks like I'll give the disc hubs a try. It will probably be cheaper and less time consuming than locating and purchasing drum hubs and spindles. Any opinions on custom coils vs coilovers? Is there a reason I should spend basically double on coilovers besides the adjustability part?

2006 Mustang 4.0 V6
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1974Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2014 at 8:24pm
Got the disc hubs machined off the rotors today, cost me $100. Looks a bit meatier than the drum hubs...

2006 Mustang 4.0 V6
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2014 at 8:40am
I had no clue they were that thick. It's no wonder I wasn't successful trying to cut them off with my grinder.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

[/URL]
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1974Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2014 at 8:54pm
So any opinions on custom coils vs coilovers? Also, does anyone have pictures of a Javelin/AMX that is lowered 1 or 2 inches? I'm going to put my race set of 17x8 mustang wheels with 245/45/17 tires on the javelin and can't decide if 1in will be enough to make it look right.

2006 Mustang 4.0 V6
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/06/2014 at 8:52am
My car has shockwaves all around. I can adjust the ride hieght while driving but can bottom out pretty easy without enough air pressure. It's a constant job to go between a nice ride and too low pressures and draging the spoiler on our very rough roads. It doesn't take much to hit the oil pan skid plate. I personally prefered the air adjustable suspension for this highly custom car and it is not the cheapest option. If you don't need to constantly adjust your ride hieght, simple coilovers are just the ticket but there is nothing wrong with the factory design with custom coils. The shock tower caps are not designed to support the wieght and are simply shock mounts. If you use these caps to mount a coil over shock, you will need to reinforce trhem like I did.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

[/URL]
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic