TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'74 Javelin AMX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '74 Javelin AMX
    Posted: Aug/20/2017 at 3:56pm

My dad lives in Wisconsin and drove to Minnesota to pick up this nice '74 Javelin AMX for me! It's a good driver quality car that just needs a few little things here and there... 

Need a new auto shifter handle (the whole handle assembly), probably a fan shroud, 4bbl intake/carb, maybe cam.  Very excited! Will be posting updates as they come. 
santiago View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote santiago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2017 at 4:41pm
I love this car๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2017 at 7:18pm
Looks like a nice find!  Probably the original wheels from the rally wheel shortage period too.  I forget the details of that, but it was in '74 wasn't it?
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2017 at 7:54pm
Great Car. I like the rear window louvers.Was that a factory option?
Tom Davies
Rhode Island
1971 Javelin SST
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2017 at 10:28pm
Thanks guys! Not sure what the details are surrounding the wheels and louvers--maybe someone has more knowledge about that kind of stuff?

I do know I need a few things for the car, so I'm definitely on the hunt for a new shifter handle, radiator fan shroud, and a 4bbl intake + carb (Performer and Holley, preferably).
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2017 at 11:19pm
Yeah, silver-painted steelies with Volcano caps was a '74 thing to cover for Motor Wheel (?) having a strike or some kind of shortage of the 8-slot Rallyes.  Car would look way better with proper Rallyes on it.
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/20/2017 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

Looks like a nice find!  Probably the original wheels from the rally wheel shortage period too.  I forget the details of that, but it was in '74 wasn't it?

Yes, Cam, the Rally Wheel shortage affected many of the '74 models.
When Linda's Javelin arrived at the dealership (July'74), it had the gray base steel wheels.
It was ordered with the Rally Wheels,
and the dealer offered to exchange the steel wheels for the advertised wheels when the vendor supply was available, but Linda decided to accept and keep the Javelin with the steel wheels, just like it came from Kenosha.
**I have copies of the 3 AMC Vehicle Distribution Bulletins on this topic, if you would like a copy of them, let me know and I can email them to you....

Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2017 at 3:07am
Originally posted by dltowers dltowers wrote:

I have copies of the 3 AMC Vehicle Distribution Bulletins on this topic, if you would like a copy of them, let me know and I can email them to you.

Yea, that would be really cool for car shows and stuff!
bbgjc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bbgjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2017 at 5:56am
The car looks great.  I've got the bits you were interested in sitting here. I'll send photos today or tomorrow.
WhatISit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhatISit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2017 at 5:00pm
Got a Pertronix electric ignition conversion on the way, radiator fan shroud (must have in AZ), and a couple other small things. Already got a 7-blade fan put on to replace the 4-blade that was on it.

Looks I'm probably going to get an aftermarket shifter. Factory shifter is missing two of the metal prongs on one side and the handle is completely missing.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic