TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

74 Instrument CVR

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atjudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2018 at 12:24pm
Do the lights also work off the CVR? They've always been a bit dull at night, I can see the Instrument ok, but I remember back in the Day when Mom's Javelin was new, the Green was just fine and I could see them them without problem. Could it be my 60 year old Eyes???????
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2018 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by atjudge atjudge wrote:

Do the lights also work off the CVR?
No, they do not. They do get dirty, dim, or whatever with age so cleaning and/or replacing them is a good thing to do while the top of the dash is off anyway. They are clear bulbs that go in to green plastic covers that are inside the cluster. Be sure to use the same type of bulb as a hotter type could start to melt the green covers. Some people have changed to LED bulbs to get brighter output with little to no heat on the plastic.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2018 at 5:53pm
60 year old eyes and 44 year old bulbs... not a good combination! I'm just a few years behind you, but my car is 11 years older...

The bulbs for the dash are #158. That is a 3.4W @ 14V bulb, push-in type. A #558 is 4.29W @ 13V -- so it should be just a bit brighter and not get too hot. A #194 is right at 4W so it will be slightly righter as well. A 158 is right around 25 lumens, so look for a 194 LED (won't get hot) around 30 lumens here:
https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led-vehicle-replacement-bulbs/filter/Bulb_Number,158,197,8894:?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkd7L_azW2QIVmYjICh2dTwl1EAAYASAAEgLkSPD_BwE

Scroll down -- there is a 30 and a 34 lumen LED. I wouldn't go with anything much brighter, definitely not dimmer!
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/05/2018 at 9:36pm
i've fully disassembled instrument clusters on 63 classic and 63 american, and if you do that, you'll see why the lighting is so dim. like frank says, a half century of use and it is oily and dusty inside, it's like going into an old dank smokey barroom in full daylight (AVOID THAT).

everything inside was coated with what looked like cigarette smoke. probably that, plus infiltrated dust. the white painted metal ("reflector") was dark, the green lenses warped, distorted, dark, basically everything was dirty.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

atjudge View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atjudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2018 at 11:05am
excellent information, Thanks a bunch. I think the LED's are a great idea and I'm gonna try them 
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2018 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

60 year old eyes and 44 year old bulbs... not a good combination! I'm just a few years behind you, but my car is 11 years older...

Frank you're just a spring chicken, still wet behind the ears ! You got a ways to go guy !

LMBO

LOL

70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
atjudge View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atjudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2018 at 1:20pm
So I'm thinking the 194, 5 led bulbs for 3.49 a piece, miniature wedge fit, would be the way to go? natural light..I'll need what, 6 of them?
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2018 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by atjudge atjudge wrote:

So I'm thinking the 194, 5 led bulbs for 3.49 a piece, miniature wedge fit, would be the way to go? natural light..I'll need what, 6 of them?
I just suffered a brain lock. I "think" the cluster uses only 4 bulbs along the top.

Also, like colors transmit light better. A red LED passed more light thru a red lens than a white LED would. A green LED would  pass more light thru a green lens than a white LED. And so on.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2018 at 6:10am
That's the way I'd go. If you want the colored lights to be brighter than they were, what pit crew says (though I didn't realize that!). Shouldn't pass that much more. Clean the green lenses and they should be about the same as stock -- just a little brighter due to the brighter bulb, but about the same change as with the other bulbs if you use clear bulbs since that's what was originally there. But that's an interesting turn (using colored bulbs)... I might try it!
Frank Swygert
atjudge View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atjudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2018 at 8:28am
Nuts, now I have to buy two sets to see what kind of difference it makes!!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic