TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

‘74 gremlin bumpers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rockwreck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ‘74 gremlin bumpers
    Posted: Dec/07/2018 at 1:31am
looking to eliminate the ‘collision style’ bumpers on my ‘74 gremlin so I can snug the bumpers up closer to the body like the earlier gremlins.
Anyone done this?
Just wondering before I get into it myself.
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/07/2018 at 7:39am
Originally posted by rockwreck rockwreck wrote:

looking to eliminate the ‘collision style’ bumpers on my ‘74 gremlin so I can snug the bumpers up closer to the body like the earlier gremlins.
Anyone done this?
Just wondering before I get into it myself.

If you are planning on retaining the 74-76 model bumpers themselves, tucking the front in is fairly straightforward, but does require some effort. The bumpers are on shock absorbers, which will need to be drained of fluid, compressed to the depth you want, and then spot welded into that position. you'll get 3/4" - 1" of tuck before the bumpers hit the fenders.

The rears are a bit more involved, but there also isn't much distance that you can tuck them, as you'll wind up with the bumper ends rubbing against the sheet metal at the wheel opening flare.  AMC dimpled the rear quarters where the bumper ends are for this very reason.  Also, the rear bumper struts are rigid, so you'll need to cut and weld them to a shorter length.  A good bit of work for maybe 1/4-1/2" of tuck - probably not worth it IMHO.

73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic