TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

74 Gremlin 304 V8, Automatic to Manual

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 74 Gremlin 304 V8, Automatic to Manual
    Posted: Jan/26/2016 at 6:38pm
I'm getting rolling on a restoration project on a 74 Gremlin that has a frozen 304 V8 with an automatic transmission. I do miss driving a manual, and I found a guy on Craigslist selling a 3-speed transmission with clutch, pressure plate, bell housing, and a set of pedals from a 304 V8 Gremlin for $200. And according to him the linkage is all in great shape.

Is making the switch difficult? Too much trouble for what it's worth? How involved of a process is it? You're talking to someone who using this project to learn how to work on this car, so be gentle with me.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2016 at 7:06pm
The engine has to come out anyhow.

I don't think it's a difficult job, I've done it on a 74 Hornet years ago, and on my present 66 American recently.

You might ask him if he has a flywheel.

Linkage ? Clutch linkage, or shift linkage, or both ?

You might check the overall length of his transmission and compare it to your automatic. If they're not the same, you'll need driveshaft work.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2016 at 7:08pm
As long as every thing is there it is not bad, but will be kind of like putting together a puzzle with out a picture. A manual or parts book shows a lot but if you have never looked at one assembled lots of time the pictures are hard to decipher. If pieces are missing the puzzle gets worse. As far as how difficult it should not be real hard unless you are missing parts. Its not like rebuilding a trans or motor. It would be nice to find a manual trans car to look at while you are working on it.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2016 at 10:19pm
get the driveshaft if you can. the yoke is different. and the left strut rod bracket has a hole in it for the Z bar. the transmission is a T14.   (I have a 1972 V8 and a 1974 6 cylinder Gremlins with the T14)
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2016 at 11:29pm
thats is one heck of a price for  the parts even if the parts are not there you have a good start of lots of fun driving i would buy them if your thinking of going manuelClap
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2016 at 8:47am
Some parts are made out of unobtainium, and if you do not have all the clutch linkage parts, the odds are you will have an extremely hard time finding them. As the standard transmission for this car is a non synchromesh low gear unit leaving only 2nd and high as easy to shift you might want to think twice about how much fun it is going to be to drive it. At least I think it is.
As far as anything else it takes to make it a standard transmission car, those things are generic. But the pedals are product specific, with out them the car becomes an lawn ornament.
On the other hand, the automatic used with it has a lot of potential.
If this car is intended to be a learning project, I question the logic of doing a change over.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2016 at 9:06am
I am having Casper converted from a four speed to an automatic since my knee will no longer support use of a clutch. I had an automatic Spirit to use as a parts car so the issues outlined by others are not a problem. So in the end it might be wiser to find a donor car so you don't have to scrounge up the parts for the conversion. Since the Spirit is basically an updated Gremlin, those parts might be usable for your conversion.

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2016 at 10:01am
The T-14 is synchromesh in all forward gears.
And the prices the guy's asking for the parts is low.

Any car is much more fun to drive as a straight stick, even if they are just synchromesh in the top 2 gears. To me a automatic just sucks the fun out of driving.
Go for it.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2016 at 10:54am
Originally posted by tyrodtom tyrodtom wrote:

The T-14 is synchromesh in all forward gears.
And the prices the guy's asking for the parts is low.

Any car is much more fun to drive as a straight stick, even if they are just synchromesh in the top 2 gears. To me a automatic just sucks the fun out of driving.
Go for it.
X2.   that was one of the big reasons I bought my 74 Gremlin. the 258/3spd.
bob401 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/08/2016 at 8:29pm
Doesnt the driver's side strut rod bracket also come into play?  As in you need to find one for linkage reasons?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic