TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 73 Javelin won't charge until I blip the throttle
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

73 Javelin won't charge until I blip the throttle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2014 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by R/W/B R/W/B wrote:

D,
Heres a thought. Hook your choke wire to the run side of starter relay.-----------Bill

I have found that drops the power to the coil at inappropriate times, making it a non-start in winter on occasion.
dsm6678 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsm6678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2014 at 9:40pm
Hey everybody thanks for the information.  I wonder if an alternator/starter  shop can  redo my current alternator and add an AC terminal for the electric choke. I am going to e-mail this place I heard of near by.

D
AMXROBBIE View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXROBBIE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2014 at 11:29am
i have hooked my choke power to the accesory side of the fuse panel on several of my amc over the years. Its worked great every time.
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2014 at 1:50pm
I'd use a relay to provide the power to the choke and you can probably pull that off the run side of the Starter relay.

All the mid 80's Eagles used that three blade oil pressure sending unit and we wired past so many I could not count them all. Never had any comebacks. The oil sender couldn't handle the juice even when they were designed. Replacements burned out within a few months, so we just started jumping them.
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
dsm6678 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsm6678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2014 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by Wrambler Wrambler wrote:

I'd use a relay to provide the power to the choke and you can probably pull that off the run side of the Starter relay.

All the mid 80's Eagles used that three blade oil pressure sending unit and we wired past so many I could not count them all. Never had any comebacks. The oil sender couldn't handle the juice even when they were designed. Replacements burned out within a few months, so we just started jumping them.
Interesting information
carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2014 at 10:34am
They should have run the ground through the 3 pin sender.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2014 at 12:55pm
The alternator had a 7 vac leg for the choke. 7 volts ac is very little load - I can see a full 12.6vdc taking out the OP switch, on the other hand, well, I've had them wired through the sender without fail, too, so I guess perhaps luck of the draw?

You don't need both - with the alternator to choke feed there is no power to the choke unless the engine is RUNNING. In those cases, the choke stat was a different number as it ran on 7vac.

With the oil pressure switch, THAT is what kills juice to the choke stat when the engine isn't running, and those would have used full 12vdc to the choke stat from a non-alternator feed.

So, car with 7vac from alternator feeding the choke, no running through the oil pressure switch, and used one part number for the choke stat.

Car without 7vac alternator feed to the choke used the oil pressure switch, 12 volts and a different number choke stat.

I get quite specific with the above descriptions because the reason it was done how it was done is to prevent power to the choke if the engine is NOT running. Say you turn the key on, or leave it on, or it takes a bit to get it started, well you've just opened the choke on a cool or cold engine because there was power to the choke that whole time.
But, power the choke from the alternator - or through the oil pressure switch, the choke gets nothing to warm it until the engine is actually RUNNING (or you crank it for 5 minutes and build oil pressure and close the switch in the O.P. switch, thus powering the choke)

It was about late 73 or perhaps 74 if I recall when AMC used that 7vac feed from the Motorola alternator. There's an additional stud on the back, if you hold it with the brushes up, output either on the bottom or lower left, the choke feed would be on the right, to the right and a bit below the brush cover.

That can be added to most alternators without a ton of effort, especially with a 74 or 75 rear frame.

Edited by billd - Jun/11/2014 at 12:59pm
dsm6678 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsm6678 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2014 at 8:51pm
Hi billd!

I was actually told by another member to contact you for help with this electric choke probelm I am having. Do you know of a place that could add the 7volt ac terminal to my alternator?

Or could you help me out on what to do to make that terminal functional on the back of my alternator..

thanks,
darren

Edited by dsm6678 - Jun/11/2014 at 8:55pm
70amcpwr View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amcpwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2015 at 8:44am
OK, I never saw an answer to the sluggish engagement resolved by revving question? My sons 73 AMX you have to rev the motor several times to almost 4k RPM's to get it to kick in.
70amcpwr You just can't fix stupid.
SOLD 1970 BBO Javelin, wifes 73 AMX 360 4spd. Next project 1969 AMX
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/18/2015 at 8:56am
I tried two different 10si alternators and both had to be revved a bit to put out the light. Since I put on a CS130 the light goes out as the starter cranks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic