TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

73 Javelin wheels question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 73 Javelin wheels question
    Posted: Jul/27/2015 at 7:28am
In about 2 and 1/2 weeks I take full delivery of a 1973 Javelin. It's had a lot done to it, but still needs a lot, too - one thing my brother told me it needed was wheels and tires.
Yeah, the tires are worn, so those are needed, I know where to find those now after finding them for my 70.
Wheels - that's different - I have noticed some alloy wheels that some ads and posts elsewhere say were used on 1970s AMCs from the factory. They are a mag-style wheel with narrower "spokes" than the mags like the car has on it now (which are missing all 4 center caps)

Were there actually mag-style wheels as a factory option on the 71-74 Javelins? Are they hard to find? Or what would YOU personally put on this car?
This is a horrible year budget-wise as I've got to spend a ton on concrete and new lighting but the thing needs proper wheels and tires (among other things!) before it's driven.

This is the car - factory mags or other? If factory, where can a person find such animals - and are they the wheels I am picturing in my head  (as messed up as that area is right now......)
It's sitting in my brother's garage now until I get seat belts into it due to the seat belt laws being strictly enforced around here, and we get the title transferred next month..........

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2015 at 8:57am
I don't think they are factory... I remember seeing them back in the early 80s on or pulled from AMC cars. Not very many, but I do think they are American wheels from the late 60s.

They look good, and are not as common on humpster Javelins.  Not sure but in 69 the AMX GT had them on for photo shoots.

Wow, a PC car as well... I do think the belts are you 3 only for your car. The 74 belts will not be correct as they have integral shoulder harness.

Looks good for not being correct in the engine bay. Can't wait to see interior pix as well.

Considering the age and location,  seems like you got a good one to start with.

Not sure about the rocker molding being a factory delete on PC cars but... If your interested in a complete setup with NOS clips, I have mine that I will not be using.  No ripped mounting holes on the lower edge, and perfect end caps.

You will also need a sports mirror for the driver's and passenger's side.  They appear to be Ford style. 71SC360 may be of assistance.

Personal preference... I would remove the pin stripe accents and replace with white rally stripe. 

Personally I like what you have already... But always liked the 500s. To me on a 73, any period wheel looks good, or if you want to be modern, Ford Racing Mustang GT 17" wheels are nice. I chose a one year only SVT wheel for my own build.

Edited by 304-dude - Jul/27/2015 at 9:20am
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2015 at 9:18am
I know the wheels on the car now aren't factory - but I have seen wheels recently that had the AMC center caps and sure looked like wheels I saw on a Javelin recently, so it seems that they did supply mag wheels on some cars in the 1970s.
Not sure what's on it now but they gotta go.
I'll see if I can find photos of the wheels I'm thinking of. I'm pretty sure I saw some at the AMO events.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2015 at 9:24am
I would think they use a standard 70s or 60s American Racing center cap... the insert may be some AMC logo from a 500 wheel or part of late 60s racing programs.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2015 at 9:27am
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

I don't think they are factory... I remember seeing them back in the early 80s on or pulled from AMC cars. Not very many, but I do think they are American wheels from the late 60s.

They look good, and are not as common on humpster Javelins.  Not sure but in 69 the AMX GT had them on for photo shoots.

Wow, a PC car as well... I do think the belts are you 3 only for your car. The 74 belts will not be correct as they have integral shoulder harness.

Looks good for not being correct in the engine bay. Can't wait to see interior pix as well.

Considering the age and location,  seems like you got a good one to start with.

Not sure about the rocker molding being a factory delete on PC cars but... If your interested in a complete setup with NOS clips, I have mine that I will not be using.  No ripped mounting holes on the lower edge, and perfect end caps.

You will also need a sports mirror for the driver's and passenger's side.  They appear to be Ford style. 71SC360 may be of assistance.

Personal preference... I would remove the pin stripe accents and replace with white rally stripe. 

I was lucky - my brother texted me and said the seller had lost the original seat belts or some sort of story where he no longer had them. He said "while you are there you should look for some seat belts". Great, good luck with that. 10 minutes later I had a great set, good condition, FULL setup with nice bolts, shoulder belts, front and rear seat belts, everything needed except the clips to hold the shoulder belts but it does have 1 clip per side in the car already (my 70 has 2 but maybe 1 per side is correct for 73)
So seat belts are taken care of - these came from a 73 and are correct.

I have also thought of losing that stripe and going back to something more factory - that will come a bit later after wheels, tires, steering column and steering wheel, grill brackets (they are missing), horns (also missing), etc.

I don't know if the PC cars had the rocker trim, or which of the later Javelins had or didn't have that. It's complex enough on the early generation Javelins!

The mirrors look ok but I'd like to put remote CORRECT mirrors on the car. I really need mirrors with my eye situation and prefer those that look correct and are remote. Big car impossible to reach across and get the right mirror adjusted easily.

I'll likely put up a post telling/showing more about the car and what it has, what it needs and so on anyway. It's nice, it's fun, but it DOES need quite a few odds and ends, some of them not cheap odds and ends. Good thing the car was a steal...........as the parts will likely kill me.
Wheels and tires alone will be a killer.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2015 at 9:40am
OK,  letting you know e 73 and 74 both use the same sports mirrors as 71 and 72. Just those Ford styled ones are not factory, for your information.

Yes you will need an extra clip for the passenger side.  Yes you are lucky to be at the right place when your Bro texted.

I may be wrong about missing the trim, but I never took note of 73 PC car having rocker trim or not. I would not pass at thinking they were removed during the repaint and kept that way. Since there is a bit of noticeable changes and all.

Looks like you will have small bits n bobs to find and replace. But not impossible to get it right without getting a second job.

At least your car won't need Machine wheels. Hehehehehe!

500s should be reasonable, or Volcanoes... If push comes to shove... Steel wheels and hub caps.  Who knows, your period wheels may trade or sell to offset the cost of replacement.

Edited by 304-dude - Jul/27/2015 at 9:52am
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2015 at 9:48am

OK,  letting you know e 73 and 74 both use the same sports mirrors as 71 and 72. Just those Ford styled ones are not factory, for your information.

Yes you will need an extra clip for the passenger side.  Yes you are lucky to be at the right place when your Bro texted.

I may be wrong about missing the trim, but I never took note of 73 PC car having rocker trim or not. I would not pass at thinking they were removed during the repaint and kept that way. Since there is a bit of noticeable changes and all.

Looks like you will have small bits n bobs to find and replace. But not impossible to get it right without getting a second job.

You are meaning the mirrors on the car now aren't factory...... is that correct?
I hope to have factory correct, remote if possible.

The rocker trim, it's sort of funny, I looked at the cars in Ohio just hours or a day or two ago, same year - I've seen the PC cars here and there at other times, but can't recall at all the exterior trim!
I never paid that much attention to the details, just that I liked the cars over-all.

On the wheels, I sort of wonder if I'm thinking of the later mag style wheels - sort of like this - these ARE genuine AMC wheels on an AMX ->

I'll need to gather information from the forum 71-74 gurus!
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2015 at 10:01am
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

You are meaning the mirrors on the car now aren't factory...... is that correct?
I hope to have factory correct, remote if possible.

The rocker trim, it's sort of funny, I looked at the cars in Ohio just hours or a day or two ago, same year - I've seen the PC cars here and there at other times, but can't recall at all the exterior trim!
I never paid that much attention to the details, just that I liked the cars over-all.

On the wheels, I sort of wonder if I'm thinking of the later mag style wheels - sort of like this - these ARE genuine AMC wheels on an AMX ->

I'll need to gather information from the forum 71-74 gurus!

Wow, never seen that style before... Could be mid 70s factory mags, though I have seen mags with similar shaped spokes, but with normal center caps. I am wondering if someone had machined the inner radius on late 70s mags to use a volcano cap. I have seen some pretty ingenious mods with car wheels and such. Yep, it is time for you to put up a thread called "Find what is wrong with these pictures 73 PC Javelin", and post pix of questionable items or the whole sha-bang.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2015 at 10:02am
Crimey! Your missing wheel arch molding trim! Seems obvious the exterior trim had been removed by owner.  PC cars did not have such trim factory deleted.

Edited by 304-dude - Jul/27/2015 at 10:05am
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/27/2015 at 10:25am
Oh, yeah, those are AMC wheels - I've seen them on cars of that ere, and I could swear I saw some at Ohio this weekend but didn't realize at the time that I should have been looking seriously at buying them for myself!

There is no trim in the wheel openings. In fact there's hardly any trim but the rear and the hood front edge. I also believe the center "target" on the rear is incorrect for this car.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic