TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

73' Javelin (Trans Am Victory)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickyRiot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 73' Javelin (Trans Am Victory)
    Posted: May/02/2011 at 10:30pm

This car has some history to it - all family related. Cute story really. My Father bought this car for my Mother as a wedding gift sometime in late 77' or early 78'. She, being about 19 at the time thought it was the most beautiful car ever. Unfortunately, times-were-a-changin', as a new bundle of joy came along (Me!) and the car had to go! It was sold to my fathers best friend for $500 on the agreement that he could buy it back for the same amount when the money situation was better. Then came my brother, and then my sister. The Javelin sat in a barn for 18 years...

In 1998, after hearing stories of the car, and seeing a couple pictures, we got ahold of my Dads old buddy and sure enough... the car was still there. We planned on some inflation but he said he would only sell it back for $500, that was the original agreement. What a guy, huh?!? The car moved to two more barns over the past 12 years or so. My father passed away almost six years ago, now. The Javelin is now at my house. Rightfully taking its spot in my rather small garage.

I'm an ASE master Mechanic at the age of 31, so the mechanical repairs/installation will be like a normal day at work. I have several friends who dabble in body work that have volunteered to help with the body restoration. I will be asking the members of this forum for some input from time to time if thats alright?

I know its a Trans Am Victory Javelin, but does that make it more vauable? or will it be worth just as much if its restored to a respectable looking car? I am even thinking about doing a resto-mod and stuffing an injected 302/C6 combo in her right out of a fox body mustang. My reasoning is that you would laugh at me trying to tune a carb, but if I can plug a scanner or laptop into it, I can make it dance in the parking lot! I still have the original 304 and manual trans. One day they will be reunited, but that will be when I can get one or more of the kids out of the house.LOL! Thanks in advance for all the help and for letting me be a part of the AMC society you have here. 

pictures will follow in the next post:
RickyRiot View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickyRiot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2011 at 10:34pm

I would love to hear all your feedback. Thanks Guys.

Edited by RickyRiot - May/02/2011 at 10:42pm
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2011 at 11:06pm
cool looking car and a great story.  as for your engine/trans swap..  an amc engine and trans will give
you just as much performance as any ford combo.  and it will be original equipment.  from the way your story was worded, i gather that your dad would have liked to have seen it restored to it original condition.  now if its not really a trans am victory (and im sure that someone has the vin decoder to tell you) then its up to you as to what you want to do with it.  resto mods are the rage right now and if you have the funds to do that then go for it.  its not cheap.  with that being said, amc cars right now are not bringing the top dollar that other same era cars are bringing.  most of us die hard amc fans do firmly believe that the price of these cars is only going to skyrocket.  they become more rare everyday. 

my two cents worth... thanks..
72Javelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72Javelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 6:56am
The Trans Am Victory decals don't really add any value to the car, they only commemorate the TA championship.
Jeff Reeves
Auburn, GA
AMO Technical Editor

Currently AMC-less after 30+ years
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 7:36am
X2 - the Trans Am Victory package doesn't add any value to the car, but the 302 Ford detracts a lot of value from it.
AMO Newsletter Editor
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 7:52am
Inject that 304 and drop it in. There's a few folks here with injection on their AMCs.
Ohio AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ohio AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 8:19am
Heirloom cars are the best! Keep it stock, the T/A fender shields are available as reproductions.
1940 Hupmobile Skylark
1968 Javelin future Pro Street
1969 AMX 290/auto (first car)
1997 Dodge SS/T 5.9L
AMO# 983
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 9:04am
AMO Newsletter Editor
fast401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fast401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 4:56pm
There is a lot of amc guys in mich and nw ohio who can advise u if u would like. I think they are very knowledgable and would be glad to help.
Disturbing the peace since 1970!!!   AMX 19245
Facebook page - AMC Nation
www.fast-401.4t.com
RickyRiot View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RickyRiot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/03/2011 at 6:31pm
I really appreciate all the opinions and suggestions. I would sure appreciate any local guys in west Michigan giving me a hand with this! My wife said one of her patients restored a (74'?)Javelin and she is going to try to contact him for me. I read about an AMC car show in Greenville in September. The car wont make it (this year!) , but I hope to go. I have found several reproduction body pieces that I thought would be impossible to get, so that makes me feel alot better about taking on this project.
I knew the resto-mod would bring up a lot of mixed feelings. I havent made up my mind on it quite yet. The chassis needs a whole lotta love before any of that would happen. I do want it to be known that I would not alter the car, but rather adapt the driveline to it. I weighed the price difference and feel I could modify it for less than the reman of a beat up old engine and manual trans. One day the 304 will go back in it. That has been the plan anyway. It would just be a temporary "look what I can do".  I can buy a smashed mustang with a good driveline for $1000 to $1500 all day long. Tack on another grand for some new seals and a little dress up. I would have a couple grand at least into the 304 engine alone, even if I assembled it myself. Not to mention the engine machinists/builders  in my town are not very good, even shady at times. I know this from first hand experience from working at one place and had gotten burned by the other. My only real resource would be my NAPA machine shop, but they do charge top dollar.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic