TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

73 Javelin passenger vent control location?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 73 Javelin passenger vent control location?
    Posted: Jul/13/2018 at 8:39pm
1973 Javelin without AC.
There is a cable to control the vent on the passenger side. 
The driver side is in the left "kick panel" like the earlier Javelins were setup.
The right side air vent has a cable - push/pull to close and open it.
Mine was stuck up under/in the dash, hidden, so I thought it was totally gone.
I fixed the broken cable housing and decided to mount the right vent cable again - ah, but where?

I thought I could snoop, uh, stick my head in all of the later Javelins at AMO in Auburn and learn where that cable should be mounted under the dash. 
The problem was that I saw multiple ways and locations!!
I saw it mounted under the dash to the RIGHT of the center area (to the right of the glove box) and I saw others with it mounted to the left of the center "pod" area.
In fact, when I walked around the square in Auburn, I saw the exact same number of Javelins and Javelin/AMX cars with it mounted to the RIGHT near the passenger's left leg as I did with it mounted on the left, to the right of the driver, near the driver's right leg.
And of course I saw others with no cable at all - perhaps those were AC cars?

So which is correct? Exactly where does the right air vent control cable mount - and which-ever side it mounts on, which screws or holes hold it in place under the dash?
Does the passenger operate it or does the driver?
Is it to the right of the dash center pod area (right of the glove box) or to the left of the dash center pod area under the dash?

Apparently that's a hard one to call since I saw it both ways and there was no clear majority, I counted exactly the same with it on the left as on the right.

Does that mean NO ONE KNOWS?  Confused

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2018 at 8:58pm
Not to confuse you... my late build 71 with AC has such cable, and my late build 73 with AC had no cable. Both cars I took the whole dash and center pod out at one time.

My late 71 had it mounted on the passenger side at the left leg side. I may be able to check my lower plastic trim and metal backing plate for mounting location, over the weekend.

I should have thought to just go and check and take pix earlier when you first asked earlier in the year. I figured the answer would have been given sooner than later. Let alone the confusion from the oddity of variances to make matters worse.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2018 at 11:05pm
My '72 has the cable mounted under the dash to the left of the center console. That seemed strange to me since it's out of the passenger's reach, but in practice I realized that I'm alone in the car most of the time and it is nice to be able to open that vent without stopping the car to do so. 

Mine is a factory a/c car.

Can't say if it's the original location or if a previous owner changed it, but the cable seems to be the right length for where it's mounted.

Edited by CamJam - Jul/13/2018 at 11:09pm
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2018 at 8:38am
Somewhere along the line they changed the length of that cable. (in 73 is my guess)  Mine had the short cable which mounted to the right of the glove box but I found one that was longer so I used that. This way I could open and close easier than my wife bending over to reach the other one.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
73Gremlin401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73Gremlin401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2018 at 9:00am
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

Somewhere along the line they changed the length of that cable. (in 73 is my guess)  Mine had the short cable which mounted to the right of the glove box but I found one that was longer so I used that. This way I could open and close easier than my wife bending over to reach the other one.

Yes - SFAIK, 73 was the budget cut year, when they went to the short cable.  My 73 non-AC car was thusly equipped.
73 Gremlin 401/5-spd.
77 Matador Wagon 360/727.
81 Jeep J10 LWB 360/4-spd
83 Concord DL 4-dr 258/auto

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2018 at 9:12am
Mine actually reached to the left of center fine - it was plenty long and one reason I mounted it there was that it was almost too long to go on the right side of center. Plus - I wanted control of it. I know the latter isn't a good reason if you want "proper", but the length was a bigger determining factor.
So, they changed it?
Odd that they'd go from having the side panel vent reachable only by the passenger, then go to the left side control, and then back again?
It is no wonder then that I saw a balance of cars - some with it on the left, some with it on the right. I didn't really track by year but noticed Ian's car had it on the left - 71, and thought, gee, that's a 71 and mine is 73 so can't be sure I should be comparing.

Are we sure it was budget - or they really did hear feedback or the designer was moved to a different department and the new guy moved it? I talked to a fellow who said that literally happened - he worked there.  (it was about electric stuff, but hey..............I have found some other things that were very literally the preference of the designer as far as where something went that was optional and didn't fully matter where it went - it was according to who made the plan. 

Anyway, my cable EASILY reached the left, it was the original (could tell because it was broken near the "stem", was rusty, and the clip was stuck hard in place from decades of crud and the prior owner made no effort to replace anything - if it broke, he removed it or left it or hid it. He didn't give a rip)

One other thing besides left or right of center, I'd like to know - exactly where and how - because I found no screw holes on EITHER side under there. And when I put it with an existing screw, there was no hole for a second screw!!
So, which screws, and how FAR left of center was it? How far back or forward? I can't find any holes or screws where it may have gone. That was one reason for my question, too - there weren't any holes or screws on either side of center. 
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2018 at 2:14pm
I went out and looked at the 73 parts car I have and it's mounted to the right of the glove box, right in front of the floor light.
My 71 with A/C has it about 6" to the left of the center stack with the knob (which is a different style) about flush where the lower column panel turns under.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2018 at 4:26pm
I don't have anyything other than the "map light". There's a courtest light clean over to the far right. 
Where's that smack forehead icon..... LOL

But your 71 has it on the left - I bet I have mine too far to the right on the left side as it sounds like yours is farther left on the left side. I just picked a screw just to get it mounted.
Is yours mounted with two screws? It would seem that it should be otherwise the bracket will twist eventually with one one screw and there are two holes in the bracket. My cable is plenty long so apparently mine was intended to be on the left - I think another reason the PO stuffed it up inside the center area is because he mounted some gauges under the dash where the cable would go - right down where some fellows knees may smack them. HE drilled into that plastic and screwed the gauges to the existing screws and then a second screw for each went just into plastic. I bet that pesky cable was in his way.

Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2018 at 11:44pm
On both my '73 and '74, the pull knob was to the right of the glove box. Both cars were non-A/C cars.

I don't recall the build date of the '74, but the '73 was built in November of 1972 and still featured some "Early" items like the horn button with the rings - more common on the '71/'72 cars and the engine was painted the metallic blue, not the more pastel blue normally associated with the '73-and-up cars.

Edited by Fluffy73 - Jul/15/2018 at 1:27pm
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2018 at 7:40am
It must have been some design change in late 73 - of course, there's not been any real tracking of AC vs non-AC cars, but generally, so far, without knowing if AC had anything at all to do with it, it appears it was left early, right later.
I've been told mine is a later 73 but certain design things counter that, too, so must not be TOO late a 73 or these changes were really late in 73
I've not gotten any really good info on when my car was built.
As I recall, the cable was too long to put it on the right without binding but I don't recall exactly why I seem to remember that, either.
Thanks fluffy - you pretty well support the "left early, right later" idea.
But like I say - now to figure out WHERE on the left it should be if on the left - which screws, what location over there. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic