TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

73 Javelin AMX rear defrost?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx69freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 8:52am
Originally posted by 72Javelin 72Javelin wrote:

Okay, I learned something. Didn't know about the grid window being dropped from the 73/74 option list. 
I've got BOTH types on hand, so I guess I could use either one. I have a 74 AMX parts car with the blower option plus the complete grid window setup for a 71/72. 

I do know for a fact that the blower type defogger is straight out of Ford's parts bin. It's the same one used in Mustangs/Cougars/Thunderbirds and other various Fords of the mid 70s. I saved a blower defogger from a T-bird, I think, and it was identical in every way to the Javelin blower unit I already had. However, I think the AMC blower switch was an AMC-unique piece.
I have an NOS cover for my blower that came from a Ford guy.
1969 AMX 390

1973 Javelin 401

1975 Pacer 258
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 10:15am
Originally posted by 72Javelin 72Javelin wrote:

@ramblinrev--you sure about that? I know the heated grid window was available in Javelin/AMX starting in 1970. I've got an original heated grid window from a 72 AMX that I intend to install in my 72 Javelin one of these days.

@AMX69Freak--that looks like the switch used in Hornet/Gremlin models.
I

I'm sure! And glad we got this figured out.
I'm not sure why AMC dropped the rear grid, except there was some "de-contenting" going on in the '73-74 model years. Those were kindof tough times for automakers dealing with pollution control mandates and stronger bumper mandates and seatbelt mandates, plus the Javelin was likely scheduled to be out of production after '74.
And then there was this New York mandate for rear window defrosters/defoggers in cars sold there, that went into place in perhaps 1972? The blower type defroster was no doubt the easier way to fill this mandate and keep the price competitive. You could not do the blower type on a Hornet Hatchback or Sportabout or Gremlin, because of no rear shelf. But you could do that on the Javelin.

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 10:45am
Originally posted by Fluffy73 Fluffy73 wrote:

As other's have said, that's the toggle switch for the '71-'72 electrically heated rear window. Starting model year '73 and continuing through '74 had a Ford-Sourced blower motor located in the package tray. The control was a rocker switch to the left of the steering column.

It's humorous to me how AMC went through options. For two years Javelin's had the (IMO, BETTER) electric window while in '73 and '74 you got the blower motor. Does anybody know the real reason why or was the blower motor just cheaper?  However in '73 and '74, the Hornet's could still be had with an electric back window yet by '75 it was no longer available in the hatchback.

The Electric Overdrive on Pacers, Hornet and Gremlins also had a strange history of availability/non-availability from (what I've read) as a manufacturer's inability to provide AMC with enough units.

Fluffy: RWD was still available in '75 Hatchbacks, and I believe beyond then (partially since that's the only way you could defog a hatchback rear window!)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 4:02pm
I find it interesting that the cutout for the blower type defogger is already there in the metal framework under the package tray on the 71-72 Javelins, even though it wasn't a factory installed option.

I did have a NOS blower kit for the Javelin a few years ago. The instructions had a late 1970 date on them, along with a picture of a 71 up style Javelin. I would guess that the blower was a group 15 over the counter option in 71-72.

I think that the literature shows that you had to get a 55 amp alternator if you got the grid style defogger. I seem to recall reading somewhere that you had to get tinted glass too.  

Edited by scott - Feb/02/2011 at 4:04pm
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 4:52pm
Yes, blower-style defrosters were also a dealer-installed accessory. If you got the heated rear window defogger, you got the higher output alternator, and the rear glass was tinted.

Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by ramblinrev ramblinrev wrote:

Fluffy: RWD was still available in '75 Hatchbacks, and I believe beyond then (partially since that's the only way you could defog a hatchback rear window!)

Are you 100% positive?  My 1975 Dealer brochure specifies only that a "Rear Window Defogger" is available on the Hornet (there's no breakdown for sedan, coupe, hatch or wagon).  The 1973 Dealer brochure actually has a picture of the *New* "Rear window defogger" and shows a coupe with the blower in the package tray. Oddly, there's no mention of anything available on the hatchback. Only the 1974 Hornet Brochure specifies that an "Electric" window defroster is available on the hatchback.

I know, I'm being nit-picky but most documentation I've seen refers to the blower as a Defogger while the electric grid is a Defroster.

I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2011 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by Fluffy73 Fluffy73 wrote:

Originally posted by ramblinrev ramblinrev wrote:

Are you 100% positive?  My 1975 Dealer brochure specifies only that a "Rear Window Defogger" is available on the Hornet (there's no breakdown for sedan, coupe, hatch or wagon).  The 1973 Dealer brochure actually has a picture of the *New* "Rear window defogger" and shows a coupe with the blower in the package tray. Oddly, there's no mention of anything available on the hatchback. Only the 1974 Hornet Brochure specifies that an "Electric" window defroster is available on the hatchback.

I know, I'm being nit-picky but most documentation I've seen refers to the blower as a Defogger while the electric grid is a Defroster.

I'm positive. It's in the 1975 Car Ordering material, with a photo. And when you think about it, autos sold in New York in that era had to have a rear defroster. On a hatchback, the only kind that would work would be the heated glass type.
Defroster is usually applied to the blower type. Defogger, I believe, is the more correct term for the heated glass type.
amxmachine View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxmachine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2017 at 4:44pm
Mark found this for you.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic