TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

73 Jav automatic shifter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 73 Jav automatic shifter
    Posted: Feb/05/2018 at 12:47pm
I plan on removing the ratchet shifter in my car and put a stock shifter back in.
The stock shifter I have is all assembled (it's how I got it) and of course it has to come apart to install it and put in the console etc.

What's the trick to remove the top of the shifter without breaking anything?
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2018 at 1:37pm
Since you have a nice wood working shop, cut a block of wood that will fit under the handle between the arms. So that the bottem edges of the handle rests flat against it. Then tap bout 20 times on the block of wood dead center with a hammer. It will slowly lift the handle off the pins. Don't be surprised to find a few barrel clips still inside the handle. If you notice the pins missing some clips. If you have wee needle nose pliers reinstall them back into the plastic handle.

If you have not seen my mod to reinforce the handle, you may do that as well. Not that heat will be an issue, like back when. Just the plastic is very thin and will crack over time, just by use.

I will look for my diy mod to reinforce and keep the handle from cracking from spring pressure. Once you have it apart, you will notice that spring is stubby and stiff, so you will understand what i am talking about.

http://theamcforum.com/forum/strenthening-7174-javelin-console-shifter-handle_topic49961.html

If it does not work out and breaks, you can get new aftermarket replacements that are pretty good. I think Amark has them.

http://amarkamc.com/category.sc?categoryId=27

Edited by 304-dude - Feb/05/2018 at 1:42pm
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2018 at 2:07pm
Bill, Maybe this will help....

Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2018 at 9:43pm
So in short, the handle is a press-fit onto the side pieces and one needs only to evenly drive or pull the handle straight up off the rods or side pieces?
The top piece and what I call the "trigger" (the piece you lift up when you squeeze to shift) come up together?
Don't want to break that aged plastic......... many I see for sale are only the metal parts, missing the plastic handle and "trigger" or part that lifts.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2018 at 6:46am
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

So in short, the handle is a press-fit onto the side pieces and one needs only to evenly drive or pull the handle straight up off the rods or side pieces?
The top piece and what I call the "trigger" (the piece you lift up when you squeeze to shift) come up together?
Don't want to break that aged plastic......... many I see for sale are only the metal parts, missing the plastic handle and "trigger" or part that lifts.

Billd, not to scare you... but the pins along with the lever arms are pot metal. So it can be hit or miss with a pin breaking in the process. Though there Is plenty of metal to drill a hole and glue a cut nail section of proper size to replace the broken pin.

As for removing one from plastic handle, impossible without damage to the handle.

To answer your question... If you look at my handle strengthening mod, you will see how the handle components fit, it Is not recommended to pull to remove the handle. Some have gotten away with it in the past. Think of how an impact gun can break free bolts and nuts, easier than pure tork. So methodical hitting the block centered will slowly break free the hold of the pins and the barrel clips.

Just make sure the wood block is just snug enough to slide between the arms of the sifter, without bind. You want the inner parts of the handle to be flat against the wood block. I have 2"x1" solid runner and finishing sections, which are perfect in allowing a small tack hammer to be used. Since it is out of the car, mounting it upside down makes it much easier than removing the handle inside the car.

Just place a couple of towels in a card board box under, while tapping away, to catch the handle assembly when it drops.

The box will catch the wee spring when it should fall and bounce away from the handle if the black trigger should pop out from spring action.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic