TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

73 Hornet winter project.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 24>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 2.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/02/2012 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by FuzzFace2 FuzzFace2 wrote:

Looking good I will have to find the time to check it out.
Dave ----
I am looking forward to seeing you there Dave. Made my hotel reservations today.

It just keeps on moving along each day. The electric fan showed up today. It is 16 inches, has 8 curved blades with a finger guard, moves 3630 CFM and only draws 10 amps. Great score. Now the fun part of mounting and hooking it up starts. I have a relay kit for the fan along with an AC relay kit so it will also kick on the fan when ever the AC compressor is running. Should really help on those hot GAD days. The Quick Fuel carb is now mounted on a half inch phenolic spacer. Time to fab the fuel line up from the pump to the carb and fab up the new AC lines. I will try to take some more pictures soon and get them posted. Problem now is it is a lot of the smaller items are going on so it they don't show as well in wide photo shots. Time for close ups.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2012 at 9:46am
One update I forget to mention was in the tunes department. The AM radio with a single dash speaker was just not cutting it. The fender antenna was removed and the hole plugged during the body work. Then some 6.5 speakers went in to the doors. A hidden antenna was installed using the dash speaker location as mounting point. Seems to be a good location as several radio stations came in good and strong right there in the garage. Thanks to Ranger I was able to get some factory speaker grills. I was not happy with the how close the window crank handle came to the speaker grills so I swapped out for Eagle window cranks. They arc outward more and give more clearance over the speaker grills.

The rear package shelf was just a piece "cardboard" with some jute insulation glued on the back. Some MDS and a few screws later the 6x9 speakers had a new home. I picked up some 68 Mustang speaker grills that look pretty darn period correct. I'll post a picture of those later.

To drive the speakers a RetroRadio Model 1 radio was installed. Picture to follow. It is a RDS AM/FM radio that has AUX/USB/SSD inputs so you can play your own tunes. And last but not least a 500 watt amp was hung under the rear package shelf right above the spare tire. When the system was first fired up I swear I was on an airplane. You know, the flight with the 10 year old kicking the back of your seat. Nice. At least it will be heard over the exhaust notes.

Edited by pit crew - May/31/2018 at 1:42pm

pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/05/2012 at 7:13pm
As promised here is what the rear package shelf now looks like. The speaker grills are from a 68 Mustang. The were black but I was able to get Tower Paint to mix up some AMC cinnamon and sprayed them to match the car.

A lot got done today. The AMC 20 rear axle is in. The drive shaft is in including the hybrid u-joint setup for mating the AMC drive shaft to the TH400 transmission.  Good news is the drive shaft was the right length. Saved a few bucks right there. Puzzling though is the fact that there appears to be no balance weights or spot weld marks where weights might have been. Could this be one of the mythical perfectly balanced drive shafts that came out of the AMC factory from time to time? Could be. There was no vibration at all when it was mated up to the 232/904 combo. Time will tell. The fuel line is mocked up and looking good. The PCV line and heater vacuum line with check valve are run in. Electric choke, electric fan sender, and AC clutch wires are run in. The AC clutch wire was spliced to pick up the AC relay lead for the electric fan. When ever the AC clutch is energized the cooling fan will run. 

The main wiring harness has been modified for the alternator being on the right side instead of the left. Also the fuseable link for the main fuse block feed was removed. In it's place we are installing a fuse holder on the inner fender above the starter solenoid. I'll post a few picture when that gets completed. The wires for the new oil, water, and speedometer senders are in and pass through the firewall where the old speedometer cable was located.

The project jumped ahead so fast today that I am sure I forgot to mention something. Anyway, here is how it looked at the end of the day. Back on it tomorrow. Getting the shift linkage modified and installed is high on the punch list.

Edited by pit crew - May/31/2018 at 1:45pm

401jim View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2012 at 1:42pm
Good job there on that yellow Hornet. I will stop back to see your finish product. 401 jim.
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2012 at 5:26pm
Been a while so I guess I had better get some updated information posted. With the engine bay work winding down it was time to move inside and get rolling there. The entire electrical system was run off of six glass fuses. The fuse clips were old and the fuse panel showed signs of heat damage. Out with the old and in with the new. A Painless 20 circuit mini-fuse panel. Note the relay in the lower right of the picture. Since the main wire harness was modified to move the battery/alternator leads over to right had side of the car it was oh so easy to move the horn relay to a location inside the car. Out of the weather and one less thing to have to attach to the inner fender.

The new fuse panel fit very nicely in the same location as the old AMC fuse panel. The is where the AMC TSM wiring diagrams are a life saver. A few of the old circuits were separated and assigned to their own fuse. Did find one strange thing, the second ground lead on the drivers door switch was removed and coiled up behind the kick panel. Well, once it was hooked back up the mystery was solved. The ignition key contact must be bad because the key buzzer won't stop even with the key removed. I guess disconnecting it was the easy fix for a previous owner. It will get taken care of the "right" way this time. Each circuit was tested as it was transferred to the new fuse panel. I was reminded of a movie, Young Doctor Frankenstein, where they shouted "IT'S ALIVE!". It was like waking the Hornet up a little at a time from a deep hibernation.

Once the wiring was pretty much buttoned up it was time to put in the "new" instrument cluster and re-install the steering column with the "new" sport wheel. Yeah, I know that is the older center medallion on the horn pad but it will do nicely until I can find a nice later version.

The Speedhut gauges are fantastic. They look killer and were easy to hook up. I have to program the warning LEDs on the quad cluster yet and the fuel gauge.  The icing on the cake is the custom stenciling of "AMC Hornet" in the center of each gauge. The gauges light up green and the indicators light up red. Very slick.

I will try to remember to get a picture of the new fuse panel in it's installed position. Did go through one forehead slapping moment when testing the electric cooling fan. The relay could be heard loud and clear clicking away but the fan would not spin up. Well, you have to remember to put the in line fuse in the fan power line in order for the fan to start. That is one I won't forget soon.

Edited by pit crew - May/31/2018 at 10:01pm

pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2012 at 5:41pm
Oh, and here is a before and after view of the instrument cluster just for comparison.

Edited by pit crew - May/31/2018 at 10:02pm

Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2012 at 7:53pm
Silly question, but would you be willing to part with the old cluster?

Edited by Fluffy73 - Feb/19/2012 at 7:53pm
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2012 at 7:09am
Originally posted by Fluffy73 Fluffy73 wrote:

Silly question, but would you be willing to part with the old cluster?
No such thing as a silly question. Sorry to say I can't part with it at this time. There are two more Hornet projects waiting in the wings and until it is sorted out as to what is going to be needed I can't part with anything.

Edited by pit crew - Feb/20/2012 at 7:09am

pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2012 at 8:35pm
And as promised here is the new fuse panel in it's permanent location. For perspective this picture was taken looking up at the underside of the dashboard. You can just see the orginal mounting bracket peeking out on the left side of the picture. With the addition of the feeds for the HEI distributor, the electric fan relay, and a few split up old feeds there are a bit more then just the original six fused circuits now. Got may hands on a few of those "blow-n-glow" mini fuses. They have a LED within the fuse and light up when the fuse is blown. You can see them in the number two and number five locations on the right hand side. The are not blown but for some reason they seem to look like they might be glowing in the picture.

On the punch list for tomorrow, high mount LED stop light in the back window, re-install the glove box and glove box door, tidy up some more of the wiring, and start on the exhaust system. Going  with T-304 2.5 inch stainless from the headers back. Got some stainless Magnaflow mufflers to go with that. Should have a nice rumble to it without have to blast the radio full volume to hear it over the exhaust. The new fuel line, down the left side now instead of the right, still needs to be finished up.

Edited by pit crew - May/31/2018 at 10:04pm

fast401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fast401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/21/2012 at 9:47pm
Nice!!!!!!  I would like to re wire the AMX someday.  I am going to be running twin electric fans and along with alot of other systems so I think the harness will need to be updated.
Disturbing the peace since 1970!!!   AMX 19245
Facebook page - AMC Nation
www.fast-401.4t.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 24>
  Share Topic