TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

73 Hornet winter project.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 21222324>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 2.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2018 at 4:15pm
Up on the jack stands and ready to drop the old gas tank. Since the shop is full I am relegated to working in the driveway. I think I can handle that.

The new Holley pump has been installed in the tank. The stock tank vent is capped and we will fab up a vent from the pump. A roll over valve was installed in the pump.
This pump will support 875hp with EFI. That gives me a little room to grow.

Edited by pit crew - Jun/02/2018 at 4:20pm

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2018 at 10:42pm
The new tank is in, the plumbing and electrical work all done, and it runs.....
Just have to get the vacuum line for the transmission hooked up and we are ready for a test drive.
The Holley in tank pump is so quiet I have a hard time telling if it is running. Nothing like having 4 or so extra gallons of fuel onboard.

pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2018 at 7:44am
It's ALIVE. Got her started up and went out for a test drive. I am stunned. It is like a whole different car. Throttle response is insane and the acceleration is crazy. I have scheduled a dyno tune  for June 22nd. I will take some video and see if I can figure out where and how I can post it.

Putting the pump in the tank was a very good move. Talk about quiet. You can hardly hear the pump at all. What a change from the MSD in line pump.

What a difference going from the MSD Atomic to the Holley Sniper. The Sniper is a crazy good upgrade.

jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2018 at 8:12am
Originally posted by pit crew pit crew wrote:

It's ALIVE. Got her started up and went out for a test drive. I am stunned. It is like a whole different car. Throttle response is insane and the acceleration is crazy. I have scheduled a dyno tune  for June 22nd. I will take some video and see if I can figure out where and how I can post it.

Putting the pump in the tank was a very good move. Talk about quiet. You can hardly hear the pump at all. What a change from the MSD in line pump.

What a difference going from the MSD Atomic to the Holley Sniper. The Sniper is a crazy good upgrade.

^you're running a Performer intake?

Just to pass on the widely accepted "internet info",
lots of people have complained of tuning troubles with the all-in-one TBI's on dual plane intakes.

I have no first hand info,
but I've read enough second hand info that it might be a good idea to have a single plane intake on stand-by for the dyno pull,
or maybe think about trimming the divider down under the TB of the Performer.

^you are probably already aware of this stuff, I just wanted to mention it in case you weren't and have noticed some tuning hickups since the TBI swap.

This is another very nice build by the way Clap
Thanks for taking time to post it!

71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2018 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by jpnjim jpnjim wrote:

^you're running a Performer intake?

Just to pass on the widely accepted "internet info",
lots of people have complained of tuning troubles with the all-in-one TBI's on dual plane intakes.

I have no first hand info,
but I've read enough second hand info that it might be a good idea to have a single plane intake on stand-by for the dyno pull,
or maybe think about trimming the divider down under the TB of the Performer.

^you are probably already aware of this stuff, I just wanted to mention it in case you weren't and have noticed some tuning hickups since the TBI swap.

This is another very nice build by the way Clap
Thanks for taking time to post it!

Yes, the intake is a Performer. This has all been a bit of an experiment just to see what will work with what. I have followed several threads where people have had issues with dual plane intakes. We want try a dyno tune just for this reason. We want to see how the combo will shake out. There are several single plane intakes laying around the shop we can grab just in case. Thanks for taking note of that though.

Big 3 Racing (B3R) http://www.big3racing.net/ has been dealing with performance in all forms from the stone age which is why we are putting it in their capable hands to do the dyno tuning. Stay tuned (pun) for details.

Just a SMALL sample of what goes on at B3R.

Edited by pit crew - Jun/08/2018 at 2:28pm

pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2018 at 3:50pm
First outing with the Sniper installed. Off to the Schools Out car show in Independence Ohio.
This is a rain or shine show so the weather held down the attendance.

jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2018 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by pit crew pit crew wrote:

Yes, the intake is a Performer. This has all been a bit of an experiment just to see what will work with what. I have followed several threads where people have had issues with dual plane intakes. We want try a dyno tune just for this reason. We want to see how the combo will shake out. There are several single plane intakes laying around the shop we can grab just in case. Thanks for taking note of that though.

Big 3 Racing (B3R) http://www.big3racing.net/ has been dealing with performance in all forms from the stone age which is why we are putting it in their capable hands to do the dyno tuning. Stay tuned (pun) for details.

Just a SMALL sample of what goes on at B3R.

I thought you would be aware of it, just didn't want you caught off guard if you weren't 

Nice video by the way,

so,
what's your plan to beat that 1200hp Mustang? Smile
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2018 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by jpnjim jpnjim wrote:

what's your plan to beat that 1200hp Mustang? Smile
Er, start a Go Fund Me page so I can by an Indy crate motor maybe?  LOL

Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2018 at 12:16am
Finally sat down and read the entire thread from the beginning. Fantastic car, Ken! And I can’t thank you enough for your diligence in maintaining such a good thread.
1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2018 at 7:10am
Originally posted by Red20 Red20 wrote:

Finally sat down and read the entire thread from the beginning. Fantastic car, Ken! And I can’t thank you enough for your diligence in maintaining such a good thread.
Thank you for the kind words Josh. If it gives you any inspiration or encouragement then that is thanks enough.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 21222324>
  Share Topic