TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

73 Hornet winter project.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 2.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2016 at 6:17pm
Things got a little reversed tonight. The AC held vacuum but instead of charging the system we decided to tackle the last of the fuel injection items. Got the timing dialed in. Next I need to put about 75 to 100 miles on the car so the ECU can get through the learning process. The weather is not cooperating so that may have to wait until spring. Hurry spring....

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2018 at 10:31am
Decided to wake up this thread instead of starting a new one. I'll go back and see if I can fix all the pictures that good old Photobucket screwed up.

Since the MSD Atomic decided it was a good time to have the ECU go stupid and a new ECU is about $322 I decided to switch over to a return fuel system and drop a Holley Sniper on instead. It just so happens we had a Sniper on order for another project so I will pick that one up from the local Holley dealer tomorrow for my use and order another one at the same time for the other project.

I am totally burned out with MSD support. Hours on hold, incorrect answers, hanging up before the issue is fully resolved, and so on. On to Holley since we have a Holley certified shop close by that has a dyno we can dyno tune the system once it is installed.

The tanks has been "welled" in the original fuel sender location to accommodate a new Holley in tank fuel pump. A "well" was also added to fit up the new solid state sending unit. This way the tank can fit flat to the trunk floor and I don't have to cut the trunk floor for any reason. Since all I could get new was a 22 gallon tank as opposed to the original 17-18 gallon tank I will be picking up a wee bit more capacity. Just have to plug up the old copper vent tube yet.

Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2018 at 12:10pm
Looks good Ken! As a suggestion, you might want to consider putting in an access panel in the trunk. Fuel pumps do go bad especially if it's not a Walbro.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2018 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by Mopar_guy Mopar_guy wrote:

Looks good Ken! As a suggestion, you might want to consider putting in an access panel in the trunk. Fuel pumps do go bad especially if it's not a Walbro.
That is a great suggestion but I have dropped tanks on so many projects by now it does not bother me as much as cutting a hole in the trunk floor would. But still a great suggestion.

BrotherBamc View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrotherBamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2018 at 2:11pm
What gauge steel did you use for the well in the tank..??
Some nice looking fab skills too..!!
Following along as I've been "thinking" about going injection also. Neighbor has a very nice custom 49 Panel. I hear him on cold mornings trying to get his LS crate going... stumblin and a bumblin.
Would be nice to just fire up with out carb probs...
77 CJ5 360
73 Gremlin 401 4 speed
2006 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD
My Garage
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/28/2018 at 7:31pm
Originally posted by BrotherBamc BrotherBamc wrote:

What gauge steel did you use for the well in the tank..??
Some nice looking fab skills too..!!
Following along as I've been "thinking" about going injection also. Neighbor has a very nice custom 49 Panel. I hear him on cold mornings trying to get his LS crate going... stumblin and a bumblin.
Would be nice to just fire up with out carb probs...
I would have to ask about the gauge steel as I farmed the work out to Big Three Racing (B3R). No time or skills to take it on myself. I like the concept of fuel injection but finding a company with decent tech support seems to be an issue if any problems should crop up.

pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2018 at 6:46pm
Spent a little time today on the Hornet but the heat, rain, and humidity did me in early.

Started mocking up the Sniper and running in a few of the wires.

Between rain showers I did manage to get the new gas tank cleaned up and applied a coat of paint.
Wow, that is some paint.

It is one of the few Eastwood products I like to use. It has a catalyst hardener in it. Very sweet.

gremlin1945 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gremlin1945 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2018 at 1:12am
The picture gives the effect of chrome, to my old eyes anyway. Looks real nice.
former NHRA #1945

former IHRA #1945

T/SA
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2018 at 7:08am
Originally posted by gremlin1945 gremlin1945 wrote:

The picture gives the effect of chrome, to my old eyes anyway. Looks real nice.
Thanks. I have used 2K paint before but this is the first time I used gloss black. The shine is unbelievable. It looks like it was powder coated.

pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2018 at 1:19pm
Update the thread to put back all the pictures that were "lost" due the Photobucket fiasco.

Enjoy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324>
  Share Topic