TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'73 AMX A/C Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffltstn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '73 AMX A/C Questions
    Posted: Feb/06/2018 at 9:52am
I have a car I am working on that had A/C. Compressor is missing but looks like rest is there. Should I, how do I, must I remove the evaporator to test it? I have the dash out and don't want to have to remove it again if it turn out to be bad once it get everything hooked up. 
I know I will need a compressor (convert to Sanden), Dryer rebuilt, New hoses, and condenser checked.
Any other parts I should replace?

What have you used to replace the foam that is used to connect the air duct? Size and Kind?
I assume something from H.D. Or Lowe's.
I appears the the A/C vents are like gold, any idea on where to get them?
Thanks,
Ken In Orlando
Ken In Orlando Fl.
'73 Javelin AMX
'73 Javelin
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2018 at 12:40pm
I cut the ends off my rubber hoses, since I was going to replace them anyway, put a Schrader valve and a gauge on the ends with hose clamps and filled it with air from my compressor.  I left it for a couple of days to make sure it didn't lose pressure.  

I don't remember what psi I used-- you obviously don't want to blow the welds out-- but I wouldn't go more than 100 psi.  Maybe someone else will have a more accurate answer to that.

I understand that Nitrogen is the proper way to do this, as the molecules are smaller, but I went with what I had.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

amxess View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2018 at 1:09pm
Unless you're going for all original show car type resto, best to just replace all hoses, dryer, condenser, and put in a Sanden compressor. Was a company offering a whole bolt in replacement setup on Ebay for around $850. I changed all over on my 69 AMX, and was no big deal, local A/C guy did it for around $600 (less price of compressor and bracket to convert), didn't have to change anything under the dash except put a new expansion valve in.
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2018 at 2:14pm
I don't think anyone mentioned the expansion valve. Add that to your to do list.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2018 at 2:59pm
You can check with Detroit Muscle Car Technologies (DMT). They may offer the foam pieces you need. Or be willing to fab them up for you.

In order to convert to R134a the system will need to be cleaned of any R12 compatible lubricant residue. A good quality A/C system flush/cleaner should work fine. Be careful around the stuff though don't get it on you or breathe it. Make sure everything you install on the system is clean of impurities of any kind.

The reason the system should to be tested with Nitrogen is, Nitrogen is dry, no moisture in it. Compressed air is not dry and can introduce moisture into the system. Not good because if not removed from the system it can cause freeze ups. Also R134a is a smaller molecule than R12, hence CamJam's reference and Nitrogen mimics that smaller molecule to say the least.

100 psi is OK. I tested the entire system in the White70Javelin by filling it to 150 psi with Nitrogen. It held from late fall of 2014 to early August of 2015 when I got the system charged with R134a. No loss of pressure.

Some local auto parts stores can make new hoses for you. Take the old ones in with you. The orientation of the hose ends is important as well. The old hose won't work because it's not barrier hose which has the ability to contain the smaller molecules of R134a.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
harry401 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harry401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/06/2018 at 3:19pm
ken I have some A/C parts from my Matador project you may be interested in. I have them listed on Cl. I sold both my Sanden mounts but in addition to the ad I have a NIB sanden compressor with the correct Jeep pulley and a good used evaporator that I only replaced because I had a NOS unit I found. I am in Clearwater and in Orlando frequently on business. Here is the CL link

https://post.craigslist.org/manage/6441186112?action=display&go=display

Harry401
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/07/2018 at 7:41am
Originally posted by harry401 harry401 wrote:

ken I have some A/C parts from my Matador project you may be interested in. I have them listed on Cl. I sold both my Sanden mounts but in addition to the ad I have a NIB sanden compressor with the correct Jeep pulley and a good used evaporator that I only replaced because I had a NOS unit I found. I am in Clearwater and in Orlando frequently on business. Here is the CL link

https://post.craigslist.org/manage/6441186112?action=display&go=display

Harry401

Harry, I was going to buy some a/c parts you'd advertised last July. Same parts, it would appear from the C/L ad. You said you had them boxed up and would get a freight quote, then you disappeared. You've never even opened the PMs I've sent you. What happened?

Edited by CamJam - Feb/07/2018 at 2:42pm
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

ffltstn View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ffltstn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/09/2018 at 6:34pm
ok guys thanks. After I do some testing I'll know more about what I'll need to replace.
Ken In Orlando Fl.
'73 Javelin AMX
'73 Javelin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic