TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

73 Ambassador 2 Barrel Carb

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanHatfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 73 Ambassador 2 Barrel Carb
    Posted: Sep/20/2018 at 10:42am
I'm working on getting a 73 Ambo running and driving after sitting for 15 years. I got the car to idle, albeit rough, but whenever I go to hit the gas pedal, it sounds like it's getting way too much air and not enough fuel and then stumbles. Usually it dies after a hard press of the gas. If I close the choke plate on the carburetor, I can pull on the throttle by hand and it revs just fine after that. I tried lubricating the linkage for the choke plate, then pressing it down until I hear it sort of "snap" closed, but it always opens back up. Any idea how to remedy this? Or is a carb rebuild in the works? It appears to be the factory carburetor, a 2 barrel with the AMC tag on it, but I'm not sure what exact model it would be to order a rebuild kit. Anyone have some ideas so I can get the project moving forward?
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2018 at 10:46am
Rebuild the carb. Today's gas is bad on old gaskets and all. I sold my 2bbl from my 71 Javelin, as a rebuilder, even though it was a runner when I dismantled the engine. Just because is had sat 10 years and all.

I think your carb Is the same model 2100 as what what I had.https://www.carburetor-parts.com/Motorcraft-2100-Carburetor-Kit-AMC-Jeep_p_697.html
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2018 at 5:43pm
Inspect the accelerator pump bore when rebuilding. Many that sit will corrode at the pump plunger.
If there is a small lip then it can be bored a little oversize and still work, sleeved or just replace with a re-manufactured or new carburetor.
New carburetors are made with alloys that can take up to 15% or more ethanol so that would be a consideration. 
SeanHatfield View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanHatfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2018 at 5:23am
Thanks guys! I’ll definitely look at the accelerator pump when I rebuild it. The plunger seemed to be operating fine, but there’s no guarantee that it’s not rotten down inside the carb. When I get some time, I’ll verify the tag on the carb to make sure i’m ordering all the right gaskets and start with a rebuild. I haven’t taken apart a carb in quite a few years and the last one I did was a small engine carb, so this tedious process might take me a little while. Haha. Still lots to learn on these cars and plenty of time (for now) to learn some more!
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/21/2018 at 2:15pm
If need be, I have a good Motorcraft 2100 carb core. Came off of a 304. The Emulsion tubes have some hairline cracks in them, but, should still work. There may be a manufacturer out there to replace them, but, not too sure. if things don't work out for you on your carb let me know; I might be willing to rebuild this carb and sell.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic