TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

72A Frost White -- rattle can color match?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 72A Frost White -- rattle can color match?
    Posted: Aug/09/2019 at 9:47pm
not for body painting (i'm not *that much* of a cheapskate) but for general trim, accessories like wheels, brackets, hinges, etc, has anyone found a close-enough match for 72A Frost White in a spray can brand?

for things like touching up wheels after sanding, that sort of thing.

of all the ramblers i've owned since 1975, half of them have been 72 Frost White (old) or 72A Frost White! it's like the official rambler color, lol.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

ITSWHAT View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ITSWHAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/09/2019 at 10:39pm
Your local Sherwin Williams Automotive store can mix you some up and put it into aerosol cans. Probably a 3 can minimum.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2019 at 6:03am
I wrote an article for our Rambler Club newsletter on the use of  white paint by Nash and AMC and from my research, other than black, Frost White was the longest-lived color in AMC history.    I have the Dupont paint mix formula and I noticed that Frost White has a little yellow in it.  I think that helps it pair so well with any other hue except maybe something like purple.   Joe

Edited by pacerman - Aug/10/2019 at 6:05am
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2019 at 5:56pm
If you have a compressor you could get a Harbor Freight  cheapie gun. They aren’t too bad.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2019 at 12:46am
pacerman: ha! that's pretty interesting. it's a pretty great color in fact. yellow makes sense; it's definitely not blue or brown, the usual tints for "off white" i think.

itswhat: thanks, i hadn't thought of custom mix aerosol. i thought that was exotic, but i'll go do some research.

RGBJavelin View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RGBJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2019 at 9:47am
'Alpine white (1977) and Krylon "Ivory" used to be real close, I think most basics whites available were way to bright or brilliant . I don't know if Alpine White and Frost White  
 I know there is a larger palette of available colors now then there was back in the 80's-'90's, but I have also found that what one company considers a certain shade or color can be vastly different  from others.
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2019 at 2:00pm
There are more than 50 shades of white among all the manufacturers, some with yellow tint, some with blue tint. Frankly, I would be surprised if Frost White was the same colour all those years. I was once bitten when I found out manufacturers can use the same name and sales code, but alter the colour between model years.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2019 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by bigbad69 bigbad69 wrote:

There are more than 50 shades of white among all the manufacturers, some with yellow tint, some with blue tint. Frankly, I would be surprised if Frost White was the same colour all those years. I was once bitten when I found out manufacturers can use the same name and sales code, but alter the colour between model years.

Actually I researched it (72A) enough to be pretty sure that the Dupont and PPG paint formula numbers remained consistent over those years that it was used.  That means it was mixed the same with the same tints.  I guess AMC had no reason to change it since many of the matching hues (which did change of course from year to year) continued to pair with it well.   Makes it easier on the dealer body shops too.

Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2019 at 10:39pm
that's interesting (and i appreciate that kind of detailed research). it's "very AMC" to persist with that sort of strategic frugality too. and a fundamental why i like AMC's Rambler engineering.  (off-thread topic, but i recently read how the 60's AMC 'uniside' subassembly was common to the American and Classic/Ambassador -- same part underneath. it's hard to see the commonality even looking, knowing that. that's good frugal engineering.)

Edited by tomj - Aug/17/2019 at 10:41pm

Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/19/2019 at 12:00pm
I was told that they used the same "frost white" formula for some of the more recent Chrysler cars like the 300. Might be worth a try to see if you can find it available that way.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic