TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 727 torque converter issue? (not the bolt pattern)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

727 torque converter issue? (not the bolt pattern)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobodyfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 727 torque converter issue? (not the bolt pattern)
    Posted: Feb/22/2017 at 6:18pm
So I have an 83 Concord with the I6 and 727 auto transmission.

I just had the transmission rebuilt and the guy ordered me a new torque converter.

I just finished putting it back in the car today and everything went really well.  I got the bolt pattern lined up, the torque converter was seated all the way on the trans. shafts, and the transmission lined up really nice and bolted back on.

As I was installing the torque converter bolts, the first one barely got started because the TC was spaced fairly far away from the flex plate.  I was just finger tightening them up (with a ratchet Wink) and on the third bolt, the TC jumped/slid away from the trans and against the flexplate.  Strange I thought but I continued, and torqued all the bolts up snug.

I added about 2.5L or trans fluid and cranked it over.  I get an awful ticking/slapping/gear grinding noise (have only run the motor collectively about 4 seconds)

To me it sounds like the starter is catching the flywheel, or more likely, the TC is now spinning but not full engaged on the Trans input shafts.

Is there more than one TC available for the 727 transmissions? Did I maybe end up with one that is too short?  I have read a lot about the spacer plate for the th400 V8's, but this is the same engine tranny combo and I never had the flex plate off the motor.  The only new part is the TC.

I also thought the Trans. must not be fully seated against the engine block, but it went on really well, and looks flat everywhere I can see.  no gaps between the block and bell housing.

Thoughs?
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2017 at 6:31pm
Are you sure you have a 727 and not a 904? That's a big trans for a 6 cylinder. Look at the pan shape in this link. Either way it sounds like you have the wrong converter.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2017 at 6:36pm
83 concords didnt come with a 727.   A 83 concord should have a 904 with LU.  and non LU and LU dont interchange.  (LU means lock up)

401harry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2017 at 6:40pm
Standard trans for the 6 is 904. Very few had a 727 I believe in Fleet models only. The converters for a 904 and 727 do not interchange. If you do have the right converter it may not be seated all the way into the pump which would explain the distance from the flexplate. Dont run the engine until you take it apart and check or you will destroy the trans pump drive
nobodyfamous View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobodyfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2017 at 7:03pm
I stand corrected, it is the 904. and it is a LU and the new TC looked the same as the original and is supposed to be a LU as well.

I'll have to call the guy who did the rebuild in the morning and see what he says, but I am fairly sure it is the wrong TC and as was said, it's not fully engaged on the Trans shafts.

ugh! nothing like wasting a day laying in a cold puddle of melted snow for nothing!
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2017 at 7:11pm
If you bolted the trans up without having the TC seated all the way in most likely you broke the pump gears.   seen that happen many times.
401harry View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2017 at 8:36pm
The converter first engages the shaft splines and then bottoms out. Then Rotate and push until it goes all the way in
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2017 at 8:58pm
The torque converter should seat deep into the bell housing. However broken pump gears do not typically cause a grinding noise so much as causing the whole transmission to be completely inoperable. Either it's the wrong torque converter or the flexplate is junk.
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/22/2017 at 10:13pm
or the dust cover is hitting something
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
nobodyfamous View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nobodyfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/23/2017 at 9:00am
I just got off the phone with the guy that did the trans. rebuild he said it is very common for the "tin plate" to hit the flywheel if it is ben't or not on correctly so ...

Originally posted by 1970390amx 1970390amx wrote:

or the dust cover is hitting something

Is probably it.

As far as the TC being seated correctly (all the way on) it is! I know that for sure.

When I get a chance I will remove that lower dust cover/plate/access cover and try again with it off.  If the noise goes away, I guess I'll have to figure out how it is supposed to go on, or what is bent.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic