TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

727 Kevlar & sprag

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xspiriment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 727 Kevlar & sprag
    Posted: Jun/17/2016 at 9:32am
Hello, I'm slowly continuing my 79 Spirit drag car,2800lbs. I have collected most of the major engine parts and now getting into the trans parts. With a 360 engine making close to 470/480 hp are the Kevlar bands a necessity or a least make the trans more durable. Also thinking of putting in the bolt in rear sprag. Can you guys that are racers give me your thoughts on using these type of parts. Thanks Paul
garland performce View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garland performce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2016 at 11:38am
Bolt in sprag a good ideal there a few bands to pick from
A 4.2 apply lever for second gear band also a after market band strap
call A&A trans 317-831-3066 they can set you up with all your trans parts
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2016 at 1:38pm
I would use a 998 style trans. I dont think you have enough power to break it, they are lighter and use less horse power to run and would fit better in your car.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
Traveller View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2016 at 3:26pm
Ditto on the 998.   It's worth quite a bit to the ground, spins up quicker. 5.0 apply lever, Kevlar bands, low 1st/2nd gear set.
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2016 at 5:01pm
A 904/998 tranny uses a small pump drive on the torque convertor and is very prone to break. I've broke atleast 3. If you go that route you need a high quality convertor.
Kevlar band is unnecessary.
You can make your own bolt in sprag out of the one you already have with a transfer punch set and a drill press. I copy what A+A does and that is drill the sprag housing for 1/4-20 socket head cap screws and you use 1/4 brass Ferrell's on the bolts to take up the difference between the bolt size and the bolt hole.
Or buy one for about 100 bux. 
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
xspiriment View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xspiriment Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/17/2016 at 9:54pm
Thanks for the answers, I agree that a 998 would work fine, but I only have one 998 and its in a 79 AMX. I want to that as a running car and not rob the trans from it. The 727, I have two and one is already been rebuilt and sitting on the garage with a 4k stall converter. It was rebuilt about 10 years ago during another project and never used, so I'm going to pull it apart,check everything and install a bolt in sprag. II have some time working on it so I can get replies about the Kevlar bands and make a decision when going back together. It seem to be a toss up on the bands. Thanks for the comments. Paul
Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/18/2016 at 9:15am
You buy whatever you want!
But since you asked for advice, in my experience building a couple hundred torqueflights I have never seen a band failure from a borg-warner or raybestos band.
4.2 front band lever
A+A sprag
If your gonna tow it around the pits or anywhere much at all I recommend a roller governor support.
If your gonna run a stock valve body install the transgo shift correction kit with the manual valve.

http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/A727.html
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2016 at 11:06am
I had a stock 998 which I destroyed 2nd gear in with a 475HP 360. I replaced with a 727 because of future upgrades to power. I spoke to my trans builder when I rebuilt the 727 got lucky as it had a manual valve body with reverse shift pattern so save me some $ there. Anyway, the cost of building a 998 to handle the 475 HP I found to be very cost prohibitive and I can say for a solid fact that the power loss difference that I experienced between the two transmissions did not equate to even 1/10th at the strip. Now, depending on your application and what you are trying to accomplish I would just use a freshly rebuilt 727 with a stall to match your cam and a manual valve body to firm up shifts. However, if you are actually running in a competitive class like super stock where every 1,000th counts and money is no object you can't beat a built up 998. However, if you want cheap/reliable and don't mind crossbreeding you can look for a Turbo 400 with the AMC case.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic