TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

72 Stock Intake Manifold

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Y2kdancr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 72 Stock Intake Manifold
    Posted: May/22/2018 at 3:55pm
I am in the process of having the 360 engine from a 72 AMX rebuilt. he Block was pulled and shipped in such a rush that I did not notice if it had a Valley Pan Gasket. 

I see lots of information with regards to using the Valley Pan gasket with the Edelbrock intake manifolds but have not found any information for the AMC stock manifold. 

Should the stock 72 360 use the metal pan gasket? or is this just for the Edelbrock intake manifolds?

Thanks!

PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2018 at 4:05pm
It would have had a valley pan gasket on it from the factory.

The idea being to keep hot oil off the bottom of the intake.

Tom

amx2bfast View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx2bfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2018 at 4:06pm
A stock 360 uses the metal valley pan with the stock manifold.
1975 gremlin
1973 javelin
1976 pacer wagon
Y2kdancr View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Y2kdancr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2018 at 10:01am
Thanks To all...!!!
Y2kdancr View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Y2kdancr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2018 at 2:58pm
I am going to revise and expand this request as I am getting totally lost in this process. I purchased my 72 AMX off eBay (greatly over paid based on what I have since encountered) But it is what it is and it is mine. The body is fairly solid only minor rust.  I have purchased everything needed to restore the trashed interior. The transmission was a mess, burnt fluid and gunk in the pan (I had it rebuilt), The engine ran, but when I removed the upper radiator hose it was totally clogged from the top of the thermostat housing down to the the thermostat. The engine block is off being reworked and I am trying to get prepared for the return to put it all back together. That brings me to where I am now.

The intake manifold is a mess, i would like to send it to be sand blasted but have read the heat exchange sheld needs to be removed. This appears to be riveted on. I have read where it can be removed but it is a task and you have to jam wire down in it to reinstall. sound like a problem waiting to happen when it heats up.

I have thought about just upgrading to an EdelBrock 3731 intake with a 1400 carb. The instructions say I need to remove the lifter valley shield from the stock manifold and install on the new one.  Exactly what I was trying to avoid by getting the new manifold.  I have also read that I only need the metal valley tray, but the instructions state both the tray and stand alone gaskets are needed. My head is spinning with wanting to do this the right way. I also have read that a heat cross over should be blocked off when switching to an aluminum intake.

So my question for the forum is what is the best approach for this project. I don't mind buying the new manifold (would like to keep the EGR) but not sure what the best approach is at this point.  Open to all suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2018 at 3:27pm
"DRIVE SCREWS" are what were used to attach the Splash Shield to the Intake.
They will come out and twist slightly as they do, but they are a BEAR !
New ones can be had but they are HARD TO FIND !
( edit ) Thanks! Menace... I was unaware Edelbrock includes New Drive Screws, that's awesome!
Understanding is a slightly larger one is used with Aluminum than used with Cast Iron.

Ya'know, you could maybe leave it Attached to the Intake while it is cleaned,
it would just take "extra effort" doing a realy good job cleaning / washing
it after it came back to you from cleaning, ? blasting ?, or just Hot Tank ?
I mean yeah.... some "grunge" may get "missed" leaving the Splash Shield in place
but not a whole bunch realy.
For ease and low cost, I'd have stock intake cleaned with splash shield in place
and spend a little extra time and effort "washing / rinsing" it afterward.
And YES, if a "fair weather only" Car I WOULD block off the Exhaust Crossover
on the original cast iron or an aluminum Intake manifold.
I cut out (2) rectangles of galvanized dryer duct, cut / sized to fit
in between the dual seal beads around the crossover ports
in the valley pan gasket, and glued them into place with silicone.

Yes, sheet metal PCV BAFFLE / SPLASH SHIELD on bottom of whatever Intake
Yes, block of Exhaust Heat Crossover
Yes, use stock Valley Pan Type Gasket ( Fel-Pro )
No, fiber type "strip gaskets"
No, stock Rubber End Seals
Yes, Silicone Bead end seals or Silicone "Right Stuff" Bead
- ( note: let "firm-up" a bit before installing intake )

This is from the 1967-72 AMC Parts Manual, for Reference:

Edited by PHAT69AMX - Jun/04/2018 at 11:13am
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/25/2018 at 4:25pm
First off, if you look at the updated instructions for #3731 on the Edelbrock website the instructions no longer say to use the individual intake gaskets with the valley pan. Only use the OE type valley pan gasket. FYI, new drive screws are included with Edelbrock intake manifolds.    

Options:
If removing the baffle from the OE manifold is that much of an issue for you, you could always look for someone selling a used performer intake with the baffle already attached. That might be hard to find, but it is an option.

Not sure of your engine build spec's, but you might think about the Air Gap intake #7531 as it does not require the OE baffle to be attached and the heat crossover is already blocked, but you won't be able to keep the EGR with the Air Gap intake. That also uses only the valley pan gasket.

Dennis    
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
2Busy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 2Busy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2018 at 9:46am
If you want to keep the stock intake, you can clean it with the heat shield still attached. Just don't use any abrasive material that could be trapped beneath the heat shield. Hot tank should clean it up. 
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/26/2018 at 4:18pm
If it is a summer only car,

and an electric choke
is not important to you,

take the time to block the
exhaust heat stove in the intake manifold and remove
the heat riser valve from the exhaust.

It will run a whole lot better on a hot day
and make more power at all times.
Gremlin Dreams
Y2kdancr View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Y2kdancr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2018 at 4:21pm
I appreciate all the great feed back. I have not made up min mind yet on the new EdelBrock intake/carb or staying with the old. I think I will try one of the DYI hot tank solutions, if it comes out good, I will stay with the old. If not, I will bring in the new. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic