TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC 6 Cylinder Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

72 258 carb question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72orangehornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 72 258 carb question
    Posted: Jun/21/2011 at 10:38pm
Hello new member and new Amc owner so please forgive me if this subject has been beaten to death. I bought a 72 hornet with the 258 6 and it has carb issues. I figured since I needed to replace it I might as well update it. So what I would like to know is your reccomedations on what carb to get and if it can handle a 2 or 4 bbl? Thank you
BenM View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BenM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2011 at 9:18am
Does it have a 1bbl on it right now? Stock cam?

A 2bbl setup with the stock BBD or a Motorcraft 21x0 would be a good bang-for-the-buck upgrade on an all stock 1bbl. A 4bbl would incur some extra cost. There's also a throttle-body injection system that bolts on to a stock 2bbl setup.
76 Pacer
72orangehornet View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72orangehornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2011 at 11:13am
Yes it has a one barrel and everything is stock. I would like to upgrade it and hear what has worked best with other owners. Also brands and cfm? I was thinking of a Carter 2bbl will I need to make any changes or will it exchange easily? Thanks again I'm a newbie to this engine

Edited by 72orangehornet - Jun/22/2011 at 11:50am
ramblinfsj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinfsj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2011 at 2:02pm
The problem is, I don't believe there is a one barrel to two barrel adaptor plate available. So you might have to find a two barrel intake manifold. If you swap out intakes, you can put on just about any 2 barrel carb out there as long as it has the Holley (and Ford) bolt pattern. The most popular swap is a Motorcraft 2100, Holley two barrel, and some have even used Webers. If you put a two barrel intake on your engine, a Carter will bolt right on without an adaptor plate. The Holley bolt patterned carbs will need an adaptor plate to go from the Carter pattern to the Holley pattern. I've done the Carter to Motorcraft 2100 swap on my Concord and I love it but the 258 already had a factory two barrel intake. If you just want to drive the Hornet for now, you can get a replacement rebuilt carburetor.  Oh yeah, Welcome To The Forum!!!
1982 Jeep J-20
1965 Rambler American 220
1978 Jeep Cherokee w/401
1983 Jeep J-10
1979 Concord DL 2dr
danleym View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danleym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2011 at 2:28pm
If you're going through the trouble of swapping intakes and carbs, I wouldn't put on a Carter BBD. I have found mine difficult to dial in, and am in the middle of swapping to a Motorcraft 2100. I know the BBD can be a good carb if set up right, and it could be worth your while to learn to tune right if it was already on your car, but if you're doing a swap, you might as well go with a carb that is going to be easier, give you a little more power, and a little better gas mileage than a BBD (such as the Motorcraft 2100). It might cost you a few bucks more though (fiftyish, maybe?), so if your budget is really tight, maybe the BBD.
Hollis Danley
1980 Spirit, 258
2000 VW Jetta TDI
2002 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0
2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek
danleym View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote danleym Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2011 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by ramblinfsj ramblinfsj wrote:

The problem is, I don't believe there is a one barrel to two barrel adaptor plate available.

There's a guy on ebay who sells kits to convert from a BBD to a Motorcaft 2100, and machines his own adapter plates. He mentions that he can also have them made to adapt the 2100 to a 1BBL intake. Dunno about an adapter to put a BBD on.

Edited by danleym - Jun/22/2011 at 2:31pm
Hollis Danley
1980 Spirit, 258
2000 VW Jetta TDI
2002 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0
2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek
72orangehornet View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 72orangehornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2011 at 5:18pm
Thank you guys very much for your replys your info is Exactley what I needed to know. Since the car needs a good deal of work and I am in it for the long haul I have decided to just have the 1bbl rebuilt and tuned. Maybe in the future I will upgrade it but it does not sound like the most pratical thing to do for now. Thank you for the welcome I am sure I will be a weekly poster around here.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic