TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

71-74 Javelin Antenna

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hffej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 71-74 Javelin Antenna
    Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 2:12pm
Will the fully retractable antenna from the 71 and newer Javelins fit through the stock antenna hole on a 69 AMX or Javelin? Or does the hole need to be enlarged? Thanks, Jeff
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 4:23pm
I think we have this in the archives somewhere...someone correct me if I'm wrong, but here's what's going through my mind:
The retractable antenna came out on the '72's (first year to have a factory installed antenna, vs. one installed by the dealer as part of new car prep.) In Javelins, it mounted on the fender. Up to then, it had been mounted in a hole on the cowl. I'm not sure there's clearance under the 'cowl' hole on the earlier cars to fit all the retractable stuff! 

74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 7:44pm
If you know how long the bottom part is on the ant. I can drop a ruler down inside the ant. hole on my 70 Javelin to see what it comes out to if that will help any.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
hffej View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hffej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 8:11pm
I appreciate the offer but I don't currently have one. I was thinking of putting a parking lift in my garage so I could get both my 69's in one stall. The height I have to work with is close and since the stock antenna is higher than the roof when it's in the down position I thought I could make up a few inches using a factory part. If you could send me the measurement that could be helpful. Thanks, Jeff
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 8:58pm
Maybe some else can post up the ant. part and I will get the measurement on  my car. It may take a few days but will get it.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2013 at 9:40pm
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic