TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 71-74 Jav Window guide Bushings "No More Wobble"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

71-74 Jav Window guide Bushings "No More Wobble"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 24>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
PlazinJavelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlazinJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2012 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by FuzzFace2 FuzzFace2 wrote:

Nice job guys now if that would work for us pre 71 guys.
Where did you guys buy the Acetal? Thinking the rollers could be made of the same stuff if needed.
Dave ----

My Jav currently has one 69 and one 70 door mounted. (Soon be be replaced with these 74's) I've not torn apart other year doors yet. What rollers are you refering to? When I pull the old doors I can have a look inside.

FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2012 at 10:31pm
Thanks guys, It is good to know where you guys bought it so if others want to do the same they can. One place I Googled had machining and forming so guess if you have prints they could do up what you need but thinking would not pay unless you did a bunch of them.

Plazin the older doors have tracks that rollers or wheels fit in to guide the glass up & down. They are what came before what you guys are showing. They are a 2 peice but dont see why they could not be a solid wheel. I saw somewhere a square one that fit a ford, I guess thier tracks are straight and not curved like ours. You will see when you get into the old doors.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlazinJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2012 at 9:33pm

Ok... here we are. Pit Crew sent me his beta set of bushing and they are now installed.  Goodbye ugly zip tie. The window moves on the track a bit better as it more of a perfect fit instead of small bind given by the "well close enough I guess" zip ties. Compared to the worn out originals and the "you've got to be joking me" after market replacements being offered, these are a dream.

Thanks again P.C.  The vendors would have to be nuts not to stock these instead of that other junk. Yesterday I ran across one of the smaller guide pole bushings I'd bought. It's completely turned rubbery after a couple of months. You can bend it around like putty. I'd make pawning off any more of those things a crime in most states.

pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2012 at 10:17pm
Originally posted by PlazinJavelin PlazinJavelin wrote:

Ok... here we are. Pit Crew sent me his beta set of bushing and they are now installed.  Goodbye ugly zip tie. The window moves on the track a bit better as it more of a perfect fit instead of small bind given by the "well close enough I guess" zip ties. Compared to the worn out originals and the "you've got to be joking me" after market replacements being offered, these are a dream.

Thanks again P.C.  The vendors would have to be nuts not to stock these instead of that other junk. Yesterday I ran across one of the smaller guide pole bushings I'd bought. It's completely turned rubbery after a couple of months. You can bend it around like putty. I'd make pawning off any more of those things a crime in most states.

Now that looks like a professional repair job if I ever saw one. Glad you like them Troy. You can move on with your project now and not have to worry about the windows anyway. I have been talking with one of the established AMC vendors and all we have to do now is hammer out pricing. The whole project is still moving forward at this point.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
Fluffy73 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fluffy73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2012 at 12:43am
I'd definitely be down for a set.  Other than the driver door missing it's bits that hold it open, the floppy driver window is the #1 thing I despise about my humpster.
I am genetically incapable of being Politically Correct.
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlazinJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2012 at 7:41am

Quote You can move on with your project now and not have to worry about the windows anyway

I thought so, but after seeing your window mounts all cleaned up and coated in black It's got me thinking ... hmmm. I'm going to have to call it good enough for now though. So many bigger things I've got to get done. 

And watch for another thread coming soon on the sound deadening material I used in the doors. Man, I thought the engine was going to be my biggest challenge. The effort and cost restoring the doors rival the engine. (that's with weather seals included).

pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2012 at 7:58am
Originally posted by PlazinJavelin PlazinJavelin wrote:

I thought so, but after seeing your window mounts all cleaned up and coated in black It's got me thinking ... hmmm. I'm going to have to call it good enough for now though. So many bigger things I've got to get done.
As they say, more lipstick on the pig. Since I had all the "guts" out of the doors it just seemed like a good time to get some paint on as much as I could. Not that anyone will ever see any of it once the doors are put back together but I wanted to give myself the feeling that I had done all I could to slow down the rust.

Edited by pit crew - Jun/12/2012 at 7:59am

71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2012 at 8:38am
AMark has reproductions of the original style.....

Edited by 71SC360 - Jun/12/2012 at 8:38am
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2012 at 10:46am
Originally posted by 71SC360 71SC360 wrote:

AMark has reproductions of the original style.....

Joe,
Thanks for pointing that out. That is good information to have. The problem with the original style upper guide spacers, and I am sure Troy will agree, is that as designed they provide limited contact area with the window guide post and allow the window glass to wobble even when the guide spacers are "brand new". I think the real goal in this case was not that we were looking for a 100% correct restoration or even a replacement for a hard to find part as much as a  longing for a solid long lasting solution to the wobble issue. I think Troy's design is the best so far. Newer materials like Acetel provide an opportunity to "improve" on the original design with more support, better wear resistance, and improved lubrication characteristics. The overall design of the window guides in the big body Javelins was a bit weak right from day one. But then again I don't think anyone at AMC ever expected to see their cars in use and on the roads some 35 years, or more, later. 

71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2012 at 1:34pm
I knew that you guys were looking for a better soloution to a common problem, I figured that I'd post those in case some haven't seen them...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 24>
  Share Topic