TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 71-74 Jav Window guide Bushings "No More Wobble"
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

71-74 Jav Window guide Bushings "No More Wobble"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 24>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2012 at 6:13am
Certainly add me to the list.
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

SST343 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SST343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2012 at 7:13am
I would also like a set.
PlazinJavelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlazinJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/01/2012 at 7:41am
I was thinking about what you said about the hole diameter and guide travel when I had a thought.... the guide bar is curved. Putting the strait bored bushing on might have a bit of an interference issue. Maybe cutting the bushing height down a bit would help. Here's a crude exagerated sketch of what I mean.
Other than that I'm fine in taking some 400 grit or steel wool to the bore if some "adjustment" is necessary

pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2012 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by PlazinJavelin PlazinJavelin wrote:

I was thinking about what you said about the hole diameter and guide travel when I had a thought.... the guide bar is curved. Putting the strait bored bushing on might have a bit of an interference issue. Maybe cutting the bushing height down a bit would help. Here's a crude exagerated sketch of what I mean.
Other than that I'm fine in taking some 400 grit or steel wool to the bore if some "adjustment" is necessary
Well, we installed a set and it works great. The curve is so slight that it made no difference. No modification was needed. As soon as we can get a few more made up we will have to talk. We did polish the window guide tube as a precaution but all it really needed was a good cleaning.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
SST343 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SST343 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2012 at 6:37pm
Pitcrew,

I'm sure if you decide to make some sets of your window bushings they will sell out.
Bravo and well done for your effort :)
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2012 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by SST343 SST343 wrote:

Pitcrew,

I'm sure if you decide to make some sets of your window bushings they will sell out.
Bravo and well done for your effort :)
Thank you Steve. With any luck I should have a few more sets within the next week or so. The only question still lingering out there is the cost. I don't have a final figure for the CNC programing and run cost. Once I have that we will see how cost effective this process will be or if we will wind up with a gold plated booby prize. Either way I will post the end results in this thread.

Here is a shot of an installed bushing along with Troy's side guide plates. Works like a charm. I did cut the side guide plates down just a little after this picture was taken. They were binding at the top of the window guide tube where it flairs out just before it bolts to the top of the door. I should have paid more attention when Troy suggested making them 1.8 inches tall. I cut them to match the angle of the steel bracket. I will have to get another picture tomorrow to illustrate the change. 

Edited by pit crew - Dec/23/2017 at 7:38pm

FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2012 at 11:50am
Nice job guys now if that would work for us pre 71 guys.
Where did you guys buy the Acetal? Thinking the rollers could be made of the same stuff if needed.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2012 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by FuzzFace2 FuzzFace2 wrote:

Nice job guys now if that would work for us pre 71 guys.
Where did you guys buy the Acetal? Thinking the rollers could be made of the same stuff if needed.
Dave ----
I can't speak for Troy but I bought the Acetal through Industrial Plastic Supply based out of Anaheim CA. Their web site is http://www.iplasticsupply.com/

pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2012 at 3:10pm
Troy and everyone else following this thread. Here is my modified version of Troy's side guide plates. Note that I cut them to match the angle of the steel bracket. This was to ensure I had clearance when it reaches the top of the window guide pole. At that point the window guide pole flairs out to accommodate the attached nut used to it bolt the pole to the top edge of the door.

Edited by pit crew - Dec/23/2017 at 7:40pm

PlazinJavelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlazinJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2012 at 7:14pm

Stylin'. Looks like it came of the line that way. 

I'd left mine with the box cut as cutting it further didn't seem to have any benefit on my set up. (ok, maybe I just got lazy). Now that I have power regulators, my setup is no longer like everyone else's though.

You went to the same supply I did. They seemed to have the best selection and price for small quantity hobby orders for guys like us.
http://www.iplasticsupply.com/shopping-cart/acetal-delrin-celcon-sheet/

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 24>
  Share Topic