TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

71-72 Javelin Heater Control Valve

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 71-72 Javelin Heater Control Valve
    Posted: Oct/25/2018 at 3:37pm

I've been troubleshooting why my heater doesn't heat. I was tricked by a dash temp gauge that reads low, but I have now verified with an infrared thermometer than my water temp is 195 degrees as it should be. The problem seems to be the thermostatically controlled heater control valve, which I believe was a 71-72 item only.  

NAPA sells a rebuilt kit for around $10, which seems to be nothing more than a rubber washer.  It seems like that might be useful for a valve that won't close completely, but I'm guessing my problem is more likely to be with the thermostat, though I guess an old rubber washer could stick and prevent the valve from opening too.  

How big a job is it to rebuild these things, and is there any way to repair a thermostat that won't open the valve?
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2018 at 3:55pm
They are a pain to rebuild.

You can test the thermostat function in a pot of hot water to see it it opens and closes, but every used one I've seen had a bad washer. The thermostat function is a very small part of the actual movement of the valve. It is partially thermostat and partially mechanical. If your cable is no good (they often fail as well) I can make one for you as I've reproduced them before and am running one on my car. check to be sure teh cable is actually actuating it. Is hot water entering and leaving the valve?

There are some places on ebay who can rebuild yours, and after doing a few myself, I'm sending the next one off and letting them worry about it. The last one I rebuilt failed about 6 months later, so I replaced it with an Everco aftermarket unit, which you can sometimes score on eBay. I picked up an NOS one last summer for my cars eventual restoration, but it is the only one I've ever seen.

AMO Newsletter Editor
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2018 at 4:41pm
I rebuilt mine, and the biggest trouble was the tangs. They are not of the best metal, and lost one because of the softness. Though it will stay in place with three of the four remaining.

I also updated the seal with coating for storage. Since my engine and car were and are still in the process of getting done, at the time of picking up the kit.

I suggest taking pictures of it in various views before attempting disassembly. And more pictures as each part can get a bit confusing to where parts of the assembly orientate.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Shannock View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shannock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2018 at 6:08pm
Guys, I have two of these valves. One is from a 71' and the other is from a 72'.
The 71' valve is in good shape but is missing the plunger and locking tab. 
The 72' is pretty crusty looking, but still works.
Is it possible to take the one from the 72' and install it in the 71'?
Or should i try to clean up the 72"
And can someone explain the function of the thermostat?
Thanks, Tom

This one is from the 71'

This next one is from 1972.

Tom Davies
Rhode Island
1971 Javelin SST
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2018 at 6:17pm
They are completely interchangeable. You may examine the 72 as you clean it, and replace parts that are questionable with the 71 as a donar. Or use what you have from the 72.

71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2018 at 6:30pm

Ok, thanks guys. 

Ian, I'll take you up on your cable offer if it's not too much trouble for you. I can see what you mean about being mechanical as well as thermostatically controlled. I see that the lever opens it at least part of the way and I'm guessing the thermostat opens it fully?  In any case, the cable's sheath is broken, so that will need to be replaced.  Let me know the cost and I can PayPal it if that works for you.

Will I have to take the dash apart (again!!) to get to the control end of the cable?   That would figure, as I just had the dash pad off last week. Taking it off is easy. Getting all the screws to line up when putting it back on is a PITA.

The rubber washer appears to be OK, as when the valve is closed I am unable to blow air through it. 

kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2018 at 7:44pm
I’d take the valve out and bench test it to make sure it is working correctly mechanicllay. I think the thermostat is there to provide some degree of fine tuning to temperature - so if you fix the position and it gets too warm it will compensate and close the valve a little bit.

When replacing the cable it makes sense to cleaner up the heater box by where the cable exits the firewall. It is a hard bend there and that usualaly where it rubs and breaks. I am thinking you will probably have to take part of the dash apart again to swap it out unfortunately.

It will probably be next week before I can get a cable made up for you as I’ll have to dig out my supplies and nos reference cable.
AMO Newsletter Editor
mrblatzman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrblatzman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2018 at 9:01pm
Timing is unusual on this...After several hours trying to install one of the washer kits yesterday, the entire pos is now in the trash can...If it could go wrong, it did so..Very flustrating contraption....Bob in Alabama
Thankyou....Bob
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2018 at 4:22am
Originally posted by mrblatzman mrblatzman wrote:

Timing is unusual on this...After several hours trying to install one of the washer kits yesterday, the entire pos is now in the trash can...If it could go wrong, it did so..Very flustrating contraption....Bob in Alabama

Contact camjam, he may be able to get his extra parts one functional, as to help you with your problem.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2018 at 7:40am
Originally posted by 304-dude 304-dude wrote:

Originally posted by mrblatzman mrblatzman wrote:

Contact camjam, he may be able to get his extra parts one functional, as to help you with your problem.

That was Shannock who had the extra parts valve.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic