TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

71 Vacuum Hose diagram/routing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimclo2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 71 Vacuum Hose diagram/routing
    Posted: Apr/16/2014 at 8:16am
I am just wondering if any of you guys have a complete vacuum hose diagram for the 1971 Javelin AMX. I need the diagram showing all the rubber hose that go from and to the canister in front of the shock tower. Also the rubber hoses from the carburetor out. Vaccum advance, power brake ect

Thank you for your help in advance

FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2014 at 9:00am
Does the TSM have what you are looking for?
Few questions, is this on a 100% stock motor/car? Dose it need to pass inspection and why it needs to be hooked up?
If the answer is no to the above questions then you only need power booster hook up, PCV & maybe the dist. advance , all are easy to hook up.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
jimclo2002 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jimclo2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2014 at 10:06am
Yes trying to put the 71 amx back to 100% stock. Its a 360 engine with automactic
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2014 at 7:10am
This is going to get you close, how close, not sure but I could use it:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Kr5dYwVdUo0/UCFYvqYPGgI/AAAAAAAAGzw/GzIrROsECuI/s400/vac-schematic-360.jpg

I found it using the following Google Search:

Vacuum hose diagrams AMC V8

I used to have all this information but a computer crash lost it all.

DANG
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
71-SST View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71-SST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2014 at 4:54am
The top of the charcoal canister has carb, pcv, and fuel tank written on it. Pcv  is the center port, carb closest to the inner fender and fuel tank closest to the engine.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2014 at 8:43am
A picture would be nice if you could display one.  Keep in mind now this is a 43 year old car where routine maintenance pretty much stopped probably 35 years ago and if parts were changed or replaced original appearance or wrong parts might very well be there.  With out a picture and some familiarity and probably a service manual (TSM) for guidance in name and nomenclature trying to do this is like translating a language that you have never heard.
But!

Here is a drawing of a typical of that era AMC V8 which may or may not be complete:

Notice the Charcoal Canister is not shown but the lines are labeled as to where they go on the canister.

There are three lines labeled plus a PURGE line which is generally a knob looking thing on the canister
You have given the name of three lines and they are probably a small vacuum line tit molded into the top of the canister.  There should be a forth one, probably not labeled and cast into a knob. That should be a forth line.

This is some times seen as a generic replacement canister for early smog systems but it is labeled for demonstration purposes. The one labeled VAC goes to the PORTED VAC line some where in the line off of a T and is shown in the diagram. It is the PURGE line

Does this help?

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
71-SST View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71-SST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2014 at 10:22am
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2014 at 11:38am
You have a even and earlier and simpler configuration than shown in the last vacuum line diagram.
I think if I have enough information I can either re-draw that one of find one that works. )

First of all you have a replacement Charcoal Filter. 
So the one labeled PCV goes as shown on the diagram to a T that is inserted between the PCV valve and the air inlet at the base of the carburetor mounting pad.  (or what ever that carburetor is that picks up the PCV valve,) But that that portion of the drawing is correct.
The one labeled fuel tank goes to the fuel line vent line the drivers side fenderwell. You should see it sticking up just between the filer and the fire wall next to the filter.
The line labeled carb is on the knob and that goes to a ported vent line in a T as shown on the diagram correct for that application.
As that is one year older than the drawing I posted the rest of the drawing is close.  But not completely correct. I can probably guess at what it should be.
I am pretty sure you would not have a NON-LINEAR VALVE on your car and it's tubing.  And the one labeled VALVE is your EGR valve and it is hooked up correctly on that drawing. In fact if your car has an air pump it should be correct as drawn if you eliminate the non linear valve and instead hook up the ported vacuum line directly to the CTO switch which is in the thermostat housing.
In 1970 AMC cars with automatic transmissions did not need an air pump. At all. Standard transmission cars did.
In 71 if you have an air pump AND an automatic transmission than the rules changed for 71

If you are looking to set the car back up to OEM that's cool, I do that all the time but there is a BUT. A state smog test tests differently than the federal does.  The point to learn is what parts are mandatory to be there when it left the factory and how do they interact during a state test and what are the state people looking for.

I plan on making my 1993 MERCURY MARINE V8 ENGINED Hornet look like a 1976 232 I-6 when it goes in for the smog.

And hopefully it is all in knowing what is looked for and then being sure it is found.
Does this help?

Edited by uncljohn - Apr/18/2014 at 11:42am
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
jimclo2002 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimclo2002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2014 at 11:50am
Thank you ALL for all the help. This should be enough information to help me complete the job
71-SST View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71-SST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2014 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by 71-SST 71-SST wrote:

So is this not original for an early 71 made in Canada?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic