TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

'71 or '74 360 rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 814Kustoms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '71 or '74 360 rebuild
    Posted: Dec/09/2018 at 9:53am
I currently have a 1971 360 with the 3196291C heads and flat crank as well as a 1974 360 from a Wagoneer.  I'm looking to rebuild one of the two and was wondering is there any benefit to either engine?  Other than the flat crank and good heads on the '71 would there be any casting benefits between each block?  Eventually, once built the plans are to mate it up to a manual trans.  Appreciate the help!
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2018 at 10:11am
If you don't already have the flywheel (the early flat crankshaft ones are harder to get). I would be rebuilding the 74 and putting the 291C heads on it with stock bore and pistons.
This will give you approx. 9.5:1 compression ratio.
That's if the plan is for a pump gas friendly street build with options for roller rockers.
Need to know what kind of application and HP you planning.

814Kustoms View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 814Kustoms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2018 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

If you don't already have the flywheel (the early flat crankshaft ones are harder to get). I would be rebuilding the 74 and putting the 291C heads on it with stock bore and pistons.
This will give you approx. 9.5:1 compression ratio.
That's if the plan is for a pump gas friendly street build with options for roller rockers.
Need to know what kind of application and HP you planning.

Trader - Thanks for the reply.  I literally was thinking the same about the flywheel after I had posted.  Didn't even click when I was looking at the engines in the garage.  My original idea was exactly what you had suggested by putting the early heads on the later block.  I just wasn't aware if there was anything super special about the short block itself like better casting or anything like that.  

This will be for a pump gas friendly engine.  Not going to go crazy with this to put in my '68 Javelin since I want to keep it as a daily driver.  Thanks for the help!
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2018 at 10:38am
If your just starting, just a suggestion, find an 89 to 91 Jeep 6.5" bell that a T5 will bolt up to. Get the clutch fork with the bell if you can as there are 3 versions (I believe).
So much better as a driver with a 5 speed!
Again just a suggestion as I don't know your plans.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic