TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

71 "Mean Green" AMX update.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 9:19pm
Updated new transmission information...........

Out comes the engine. It is so much easier dropping it out the bottom in one piece with the  transmission. Say good by to the 4 speed. A brand new TKO 600 5 speed is on the way. I can't get over how clean everything is. I understand that this car was "restored" not that long ago so it has not had much time to get all greasy again.

After opening up the engine the source of the blow by was discovered to be rings that never seated properly. The heads are the "51cc" type and along with the semi dished pistons the compression for this engine is in the 11:1 range. Not to shabby for a 401. New rings and a quick cylinder hone are next up along with a few oiling mods. The mains show some scratching. New bearings and quick crank polishing should take care of that. The water jacket was filled with crud up over the drain holes. Since the engine is open and has to be power washed after the drilling for the oil mods and to ensure the water passages are clear of all the crud we will give the engine the Glyptal treatment before buttoning it back up.

A bit of bling is on order too. A new polished BeCool aluminum radiator is on the way along with twin electric cooling fans. The Control Freak IFS and 4 link rear suspension should hit the shop around the 15th. Then the wrenches will really start to fly.

Edited by pit crew - Oct/05/2017 at 7:22am

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
green71AMX View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green71AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/03/2013 at 9:43pm
Update. 5 speed will be installed. TKO 600
Cutting of tunnel is required for 6 speed. Not going there
390spirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 390spirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2013 at 6:07am
Very nice project!
Javelin74 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2013 at 9:27am
I have a TKO in my 74 Javelin and had to do some tunnel hacking for it to seat properly.  If I may make a suggestion, I'd use a T5 with an Astro A-5 gear kit or G-Force upgraded T-5.  Just as strong as a TKO, about 20-25lbs lighter, easier to package, and generally better part (i/e, shifter) availability.  Plus you can run the Ford style T5 to use the stock "short" bellhousing or use a GM style T-5 for use with the Quicktime SFI rated bells.
Food for thought...
Good luck!  Looking forward to seeing her when she's done!
green71AMX View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green71AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2013 at 9:41am
Thanks for the info, I will look into it right away. I really want to avoid hacking anything
bbgjav View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbgjav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2013 at 11:02am
Not sure if the tunnels are different on the earlier Javs but I can guarentee you you HAVE to raise the tunnel on the 68-69 Javs if you want the correct driveline angle with a tko 600, been there.... 
AMX401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/04/2013 at 5:30pm
Here is a post referring to the Keisler 700 which is supposed to fit without tunnel mods...they even claim they can have the shifter go in the original position as well:

Regards,
Jeff...
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/11/2013 at 7:38pm
The cylinder honing is done, the oil mods completed, and the block power washed repeated times. A quick coat of Glyptal and once the heads are cleaned and checked it will be time to start the re-assemble of the engine.

By the way, even the Mustang crowd acknowledges the benefits of Glyptal paint.

http://blogs.mustangmonthly.com/6624693/miscellaneous/ge-glyptal-from-eastwood/

The TKO is here but for now it is up in the air as to if it is going to be used or if the transmission of choice is going to be a Keisler.

Edited by pit crew - Oct/05/2017 at 7:25am

pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2013 at 5:14pm
Progress to report. The crank is back from the machine shop, all it needed was a quick polish job, and it was installed in the block along with new main bearings. One item worth noting, you get zero end play on the crank if one of the main caps happens to get installed backwards. Just a slight oops that was quickly corrected.

The cam is in and the timing gears and chain are installed. The valley oil mod is visible.

The old low tension rings have been removed and the pistons received a good cleaning. The new rings have to be gap checked and adjusted as needed. Then the new rings can be installed on the pistons. After that the pistons will be ready to drop into the block along with new rod bearings. Some of the old rod bearings showed enough wear so that the copper colored inner layer was visible

Edited by pit crew - Oct/05/2017 at 7:28am

pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2013 at 5:44pm
Mike is back from vacation and the action on this project is about to get kicked up a notch. He spent some time, and some cash, at the Mecum auction and as nice as his purchase is it was not an AMC. Sorry Mike.

It was time to crack open the Wilwood boxes and get the hubs and rotors assembled. This gave Mike a chance to get in some of his sweat equity.

The Wilwood hubs are just flat out gorgeous. Once the lugs were installed the bearings and dust seals were next.

After that the rotors were bolted to the hubs and the assemblies set aside until the Control Freak IFS arrives.

Tomorrow Mike will prep the engine for paint. He has a very particular paint treatment in mind so I am not going to spoil the surprise until after the engine comes back from paint and I can get a picture of it.

Edited by pit crew - Oct/05/2017 at 7:31am

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 17>
  Share Topic