TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior > HVAC
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

71 javelin wiper problems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rtrogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 71 javelin wiper problems
    Posted: May/07/2017 at 11:42am
just installed rebuilt wiper motor in a 71 javelin. the motor is in the correct off position, with the wiper assembly hooked up and motor on the gears strip out when the wipers reach full up postion. I don't know if I have wrong motor or are there different types of wiper arms for the javelin. I have never seen this before and I have been working on AMC's for over 40years. If anybody has any ideas on the subject I would appreciate any help.
thanks
Rob
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2017 at 11:57am
I posted some Service manual info about the testing and operation of the prestolite wiper motor.

I will search for the link so you can look them over.

Until then, since you removed and swapped out the original... i assume you may be missing the ground strip that allows the motor to be grounded, as the motor is on rubber bushings for vibration control, you can check the back side of the motor plate, there is a ground strip that screws onto the plate and mounts to the housing.

There is no difference between motors, just everything is controlled by the transmission linkage for movement sweep. Even if the arms are too far or not aligned when installed, the motor should stop and return. I have seen wipers go beyond and above the trim, but it never grinded the gears doing so. Maybe internal. As they have some interesting parts that can wear out. Possibly a worn contact bushing.

Here is my past reply at the end of the thread.

http://theamcforum.com/forum/incredibly-annoying-wiper-motor-problem_topic86923.html

Edited by 304-dude - May/07/2017 at 12:02pm
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
rtrogue View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rtrogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/07/2017 at 12:54pm
thanks for the info. I have apart again and will check it out once more. again thanks Rob
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic