TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

71 AMX 3rd time is a charm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 20>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scene One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2014 at 6:45pm
Actually it wasn't as tough as it looks. I felt that the sheet metal was in such bad shape that there wasn't much to lose. I also got a good buy on the donor car and the frame and floor on it was completely gone so it seem like a good match.
      Ken ,I have been following the work on the green AMX, and old yellow also the work you did on Javelin Sue's car. You have more talent in your little finger than I have all in. I hope I have the opportunity to meet any and everyone on the forum someday!
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2014 at 7:01pm
Buster, trust me, I am still working on my skills and without 401jim working with me I would be in deep poo.

As far as meeting people one opportunity would be GAD 13. If your located where I think you could just hop on 70 and be there in no time. Even if you only come as a spectator it makes for a great time. Check it out.

http://theamcforum.com/forum/great-amc-day-gad-13_topic57563.html 

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
Scene One View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scene One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2014 at 7:38pm
Thanks Ken, I put it on my calendar. I have a couple of big projects going on with work then, hope I can make it.
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2014 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by Scene One Scene One wrote:

Thanks Ken, I put it on my calendar. I have a couple of big projects going on with work then, hope I can make it.
I hope so too. If not then check out what North Coast AMC is up to. They have a number of AMC events throughout the year and the Cleveland area is not that far from you.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/northcoastamc/events/index.htm

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
wantajav View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wantajav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2014 at 7:55pm
You do have a tech service manual of all the dimensions - no doubt.

So the skeleton is square when you start tacking on the skin.

OR: Ariel Atom ! made from a 1971 AMX with 401 power!

Just kidding seriously: fantastic work there !!!!!

Mike
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/16/2014 at 8:28pm
What they said WOW Shocked
I have not seen one taken apart like that before. Keep us posted and the pictures coming.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
Mr. Ed View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2014 at 8:19am
That is the first time I've seen and AMX skeleton! Cool! I presume you drilled out all of the spot welds from the inside?

Later!
Mr. Ed
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo "Gwendolyn."
1978 Concord Sport coupe "Mr. Black".
1982 Concord wagon. The Admiral. FOR SALE!
1976 Sportabout X, 304, auto, air. The Bronze Goddess

dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2014 at 10:14am
WHAT A PROJECT....
This is not a restoration....IT IS A COMPLETE REBIRTH....

Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
Scene One View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scene One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2014 at 7:54pm
Well the outer skin slid on perfectly, with the help of my wife and son we simply slid it in from the rear of the car. Everything lined right up, all the seems were nice and tight. After clamping it on and double checking, I had it all welded up by days end and it resemble a car again.
I wish I would have taken some pictures of the skin when it was off but I was so excited with progress I never thought to. Anyway here are some photos afterwards. You can see at the wheel well where I welded it to the existing front part of the quarter and patched over with bondo. The existing quarter was in bad shape around the window so it was cut out and replaced also. After that repairs were made to the rear, and sections of the quarters were cut out and patch panels welded in.
I am enjoying sharing my journey, so thanks to everyone for following along.
dltowers View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dltowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2014 at 8:22pm
"From Lemon To LemonadeThumbs Up"....
Original Owner, 1974 Javelin:
360ci,2v,727TC. Motorola Multiplex with 8-Track.
G4 Plum exterior with 421Q Black Uganda Interior. Purchased on July 16, 1974 from Hooker AMC, Sherman, TX for $4500.20
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 20>
  Share Topic