TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

71 AMX 3rd time is a charm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2018 at 4:02pm
Buster, 

So, if there is an AMC get together in the Pittsburgh area this fall you could be talked into bringing the Javelin AMX??
Scene One View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scene One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2018 at 4:19pm
Oh yes if I don't have something going on, you bet (I have to look at my wife's schedule )I enjoyed coming down last year even though I didn't have my car. I bet we could talk some of those Ohio boy's into joining us if we do it early enough in the day. The more the merrier!!I still have a few bugs to work out, hopefully no major issue's. Right now it is going for an alignment tomorrow. I have a vibration in the car that I am trying to solve. Starting with the front end which is all new and I know is not where it should be, then if not solved will work my way back. The rear end is all new, also new wheels and tires all around freshly balanced. If the alignment doesn't solve I will probably remove the drive shaft and have it balanced, something I didn't do it was the original one so I just cleaned and painted it then installed. Keep me posted.

B.P.
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2018 at 12:03am
Oh my gosh; it's unbelievable this is the same car you started out with... it's beautiful!

if you have a spare wheel hub you could mount it on a workbench and use that (having the hub bearings degreased) to double check the balance of the brake drums, wheels etc... even the hubs themselves can be out of balance sometimes... one can also sort out & index brake and wheel assemblies so their own independent weights are self cancelling = the less add on weight it takes to balance the wheels the better eg: the 'heavy spot' on a tire can be '180'ed from the heavy spot on the rim to balance a wheel instead of adding twice the amount of wheel weights... hope it helps
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
Green AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2018 at 9:26pm
Originally posted by Scene One Scene One wrote:

Well Exhaust fabricated and installed. For the most part it went rather well the kit I bought had all the pipes I needed to complete the job. Other than the clamps, mufflers, and hangers which I also purchased from Summit. The cutting and fitting went fairly smooth with the exception of needing and extra hand from time to time. I used a few apple boxes, clamps and jack stands. I even got my wife under the car to help    but she was a bit of a distraction . none the less it's off my list..
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      What Kit did you use That looks great and the car is amazing
69 AMX 390 4speed go pack
72 Javelin 360 auto(sons)
82 Spirit (wife's 1st car)still not done
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2018 at 10:00pm
Summit sells a number of "Hot Rod" kits depending on the size tube you want to use.
If you like a real challenge go three inch the whole way.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
Scene One View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scene One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2018 at 2:31pm
Yes, Pit crew turned me onto Summit Racings Hot Rod kit 304 stainless. I just went with the 2 1/4" kit that would be a challenge with 3". Hats off to Ken, I believe my kit was about $265.00 plus Mufflers were about $67.00 each. I also bought some stainless offset band clamps. I welded most joints but I wanted to remove mufflers if necessary and also a straight piece of tailpipe at the very back. For obvious reasons it makes for an easier install and removal for any repairs to anything it blocks or gets in the way of. Good example I am trying to solve a vibration in my drive train now I hope to figure it out soon. But thank you for the kind words and good luck with your project..

B.P.
Scene One View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scene One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2019 at 6:28pm

Well after a long struggle last year to find the vibration in my engine I finally got my car on the road. Many thanks to all who helped me with advice and recommendations in solving issues. I can't say enough about how great the forum is and those who make it that way. One of the projects in the works yet is adjusting the stance. Keith and Kevin road tripped to my house late summer last year in Keith's awesome Javelin and the stance of his car is spot on, or for that matter his whole car is. What an amazing car he has built. Well here are some Pictures of the car finally seeing the light of day beyond the doors of my shop. Thanks again for following and all those who helped

Buster Pile
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2019 at 7:44pm
HEY! Your car is awesome! So quite talking about my car in your car's thread. LOL  She'll get jealous. You know how girls are....  LOL  I can't wait to get together again. Maybe you can make GAD?? It's not far from my place and I plan on going.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2019 at 8:05pm
About time Buster.  LOL

Can't wait to see your gorgeous ride roll in to GAD if not at some event before then.  Thumbs Up

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
Woosterkevin View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woosterkevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2019 at 8:13pm
Buster, your car is amazing. I am so happy to have had the opportunity to ride in it . It has definitely helped me keep focus on my car so thank you. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920>
  Share Topic