TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

700R4 Overdrive Automatic for AMC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2016 at 9:43pm
Ken do you have pictures of your installation? And what kind of car did you put it in? How did you wire the O/D and lock up solenoids?
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
Rogue401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogue401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/02/2016 at 9:43pm
I have 2004R in our Rogue with a 401. I tried a 700R4 but didn't like the way it fit or the deep 1st gear. It started out as a truck trans. If you're going to use a 200R4, the Turbo Buick and SS MonteCarlo have the best parts. The front pumps, valve bodies and governors are better. I don't think you can tailor the weights of the governors to adjust shift points like a Turbo400 or 700.
I kept the lock up TC as it's another 500-600 drop and more efficient. I used the AdvanceAdapters kit. Very nice quality.

Biggest issue is the Throttle Valve control cable and carb linkage. When I first did this, there weren't any kits available so I duplicated the original Quadrajet carb throttle lever and adapted it to the Edelbrock carbs. Then I used a Edelbrock linkage bracket. It's extremely sensitive and not just a kickdown cable. It controls the trans valve body and line pressure. It was OK, but I could never get the shifts high enough or firm enough, I think because of the low-performance governor. Now I have the Demon carbs which are supposed to have the correct pivot point built in, but now it shifts too hard. So I'm back to the beginning.
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/03/2016 at 7:02am
Here is the AMC A500 beside the 727 from the car. As you can see the tail section is a lot bigger.

And in the car. It fit perfect, like it was designed for it.

It's a 74 Bricklin, so I can't tell you much about a conventional AMC for tunnel clearance.

I used a hyd valve body, so only the OD and the LU are electric, and at first just had switches. Then tried a home made controller with vacuum and pressure switches based on what you read on the net. That did not work so well, but before I had it debugged I had to give the development car back to my dad, so it all came out and put the 727 back in. In that car it was a total bolt in with a new crossmember. The tranny is to go in my 74 bricklin with a 401, but that project is a few years down the road.

It has the 2.74 low and .69 OD. The ratio seemed nice with the 3.15 rear, but probably would be a little better with a 3.54 in OD. I'm worried the 2.74 will be a bit much in low with a 401 and a 3.54; we will eventually see. Since the front section is basically a 999 I can swap to the 2.45 if the 2.74 is too much. I'm not as keen on a super low 1st gear on a car with power; all that does is spin. I prefer more converter and less gear, and you can do that with a LU on the street.

Edited by Ken_Parkman - Dec/03/2016 at 7:12am
Rogue401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogue401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2016 at 11:30am
Ken, Is it possible to use the overdrive parts on an older AMC 727 TF? Looking at the side-by-side pict, probably not.

Oldguy, what did you use for the carb hookup? The issue with ours is with the two-fours, the rear carb is too close to the firewall for most aftermarket brackets and adapters to work.
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2016 at 12:25pm
[QUOTE=Rogue401]Ken, Is it possible to use the overdrive parts on an older AMC 727 TF? Looking at the side-by-side pict, probably not.

The rear of the 727 is totally different from the over drive automatic
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
Ken_Parkman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken_Parkman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2016 at 2:51pm
Yep, what he said. 

The A500 is the OD version of the 904/998/999, and the A518 is the OD version of the 727. While a lot of stuff does interchange the tail section is completely different, and the back of the case and other stuff was changed to match.

The 518 never came bolted to the AMC engine, where the A500 did in Jeeps. That's OK cause I like the 904/998/999 better than the 727 anyhow.
Thikstik View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thikstik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2016 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Rogue401 Rogue401 wrote:

I have 2004R in our Rogue with a 401. I tried a 700R4 but didn't like the way it fit or the deep 1st gear. It started out as a truck trans. If you're going to use a 200R4, the Turbo Buick and SS MonteCarlo have the best parts. The front pumps, valve bodies and governors are better. I don't think you can tailor the weights of the governors to adjust shift points like a Turbo400 or 700.
I kept the lock up TC as it's another 500-600 drop and more efficient. I used the AdvanceAdapters kit. Very nice quality.

Biggest issue is the Throttle Valve control cable and carb linkage. When I first did this, there weren't any kits available so I duplicated the original Quadrajet carb throttle lever and adapted it to the Edelbrock carbs. Then I used a Edelbrock linkage bracket. It's extremely sensitive and not just a kickdown cable. It controls the trans valve body and line pressure. It was OK, but I could never get the shifts high enough or firm enough, I think because of the low-performance governor. Now I have the Demon carbs which are supposed to have the correct pivot point built in, but now it shifts too hard. So I'm back to the beginning.
Hi.  You can reduce line pressure to induvidual circuits( gears) to reduce  hard shifts by removing the valve body and modifying the spacer plate feed hole which supplies the oil to the apply piston for whichever gear you choose. cCarefully find correct hole and put plate on level hard surface and use a ball peen hammer to peen hole smaller...also can insert a small cotter pin in hole and bend to affix.   Also, Possibly can put softer spring/or stack another spring in accumulator. Neither very fun.
75 gremlin x, jeep 4.0 headed 258,
264H Cliff cam, intake,header. 390 holley. I want a 282 VAM motor!

AC/PS/PDB.

72 AMX , 304 2bbl, 3speed, now disks...probably will sell, want an automatic /AC.

mchaggis View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mchaggis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2016 at 5:07pm
I'm running a TH2004R in a '69 Javelin and it's a tight fit, mainly where the cooler lines exit.  I don't know for sure but I'd doubt you'd get a 700R4 in a Javelin/AMX without beating on the tunnel a fair bit.  But I am running it behind a SBC so that may change fitment.  And I love the OD with lock-up.  I also made a TC lock-up unit that I designed with 2 vacuum switches, a timer and a RPM window switch.  It's adjustable and works great.  Going from a 3 speed auto with 2.87:1 gears to a 4 speed with lock-up converter and 3.73:1 was the best modification I've made in the 28 years I've own the Javelin.
Thikstik View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thikstik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2016 at 9:45pm
i agree...i cant stand non overdrive even in my 2:87 rear geared 6 cy grem.  I held up a gutted 700 in the tunnel and it really looks like a great fit.  The cooler lines are always a pain due to their location on 700.  Even on GM cars/truck, its best to droop the trans rear to access the lines.  That d#$n 3-4 servo is in terrible spot.
75 gremlin x, jeep 4.0 headed 258,
264H Cliff cam, intake,header. 390 holley. I want a 282 VAM motor!

AC/PS/PDB.

72 AMX , 304 2bbl, 3speed, now disks...probably will sell, want an automatic /AC.

Rogue401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogue401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/04/2016 at 11:19pm
I don't know how it fits in a 70 up car, but on the small bodies, I had to open up the tunnel by the servo on the pass side and around the bell housing to get the rear of the trans up in the tunnel enough to get the correct drive line angle.I made a new rear cross member that resembles a "K" member. The adapter plate is probaby 3/4" thick so that adds to the clearance problem around the bell housing.

X2 on the overdrive. It transformed the car. with a 3:54 gear The 401 gets 20-22mpg on the highway. 80-85 mph is a relaxing cruise with the top down.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic