TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

70 Rebel SST

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amcpwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2012 at 6:28am
Good to hear there's progress, any updated pics? Merry Christmas (Happy Holidays to be Politically correct).
70amcpwr You just can't fix stupid.
SOLD 1970 BBO Javelin, wifes 73 AMX 360 4spd. Next project 1969 AMX
mc5fan1968 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc5fan1968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2012 at 8:13am
Nothing worth posting. It has all been clean  up work. When I got the car the passenger side had a factory primer fender and a brown door off of an ambassador. The hood was really scratched up and the hood scoop was in primer. I spray can painter the whole front end and passenger door to make the whole car blue again

I have been ordering many small things to correct the previous owner's mistakes. He gave me the power steering pump and gear only. I got the pitman arm, hoses and missing brackets and reinstalled the power steering. Manual steering sucks rump.
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc5fan1968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2012 at 6:15pm
Today I installed the 1972 and up type washer reservoir and ran the power to it from the wiper switch. I ran the washer tubing but, of course, the last owner saw no need for the wash nozzles.  It started snowing pretty hard and I was cold but remembered the choke isn't hooked up.  I hooked up the electric choke on the Summit  carburetor finally.
imacarfan2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imacarfan2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2012 at 9:25pm
Just a question. You keep saying things like "The previous owner". Are you talking about Rebelxxxxx or someone else?
67 Ambo conv
68 AMX
68 Ambo 4 door
70 Ambo 4 door
(2) 71 Hornets (1 SC/360)
73 Hornet 2 door
77 Matador coupe
77 Sportabout
78 Concord 2 door
81 Concord wagon
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc5fan1968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2012 at 6:29am

Yes, I did purchase the Rebel from Rebelxxxxxx. We met at a truck stop near Toledo one Saturday. I wanted a Machine but they are all priced so out of reality. The one Machine I found in my price range was a rotten piece of crap in Kenosha, WI. It was a Bittersweet Orange vehicle "converted" to R/W/B paint scheme with an automatic transmission. Every body panel had serious rust and dent problems and it had a 1969 390 (yuck) in it. It certainly was not worth the $9,000.00 (to me) that he "came down to." I decided that the "Y" engine code in the VIN wasn't worth paying multiples of what the car should be priced at. I stumbled on Rebelxxxxx's car on ebay. It looked rough but it wasn't priced out of my range.

It has numerous issues that I am not happy with but it has many good points too. I know that some of my remarks are sarcastic but I don't understand why he did (didn't do) some of the things to that vehicle unless he lost interest in it and used it as a parts car for his other Rebel. He stripped out all the A/C stuff including the "heater box, so my dash vents are not functional. The A/C temp control is gone, so I have a hole instead. The A/C heater control unit was replaced with a standard one. The glove box door release mechanism gone also. All this stuff is a real pain in the rump to find. The glove box release was 1970 only. It is nearly impossible to find. I have had no luck at all. I don't want those that are available to replace it. I want the CORRECT one! Other than those and other issues I have previously commented on it is a solid vehicle.

It runs (moves) very well. Any stock, unmodified 1970 Machine owner is more than welcome to see if their vehicle will outperform my Rebel SST, it won't. AMC said a 4 speed machine will do 0-60 in 6.4 seconds. Mine will do it much quicker. My 360 runs great. The transmission is a 727, reverse manual valve body. The rear end is a 4.10:1.

According to http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1968-1970-amc-rebel-sst-hardtop-and-convertible.htm, AMC production for 1970 Rebel SST Hardtops was 6,573. 2,326 of them were Machines. That is 35.38% of "non base, 2 door hardtop production, more than 1/3. Machines were considered as SST trim by AMC. Considering that model's production numbers, the Machine isn't quite as rare as one might think. If you consider total Rebel production of 167,976 (2dr, 4dr and wagon, all trims) it is just over 1%.

If you compared it to a Chevelle Malibu that had 1970 production around 354,700,   http://www.oldride.com/library/1970_chevrolet_chevelle.html lists:
Malibu SS 396 Series 36 - V8 + RPO Z25 Super Sport 396 Option Package, 49,826 units, 14%
Malibu SS 396 Series 36 - V-8 + RPO Z15 Super Sport 454 Option Package, 3,773 units. 1%

Including BOTH of these models, the top Chevelle is  roughly 15%. If you only look at the 454, it was less than 1%! Top Chevelles are much rarer by the numbers!

I am with the school of thought before the recent inflation of prices. I believe a fully "restored" and "mint" Rebel Machine should sell for around $20,000.00.

Edited by mc5fan1968 - Dec/25/2012 at 6:35am
70amcpwr View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amcpwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2012 at 9:54am
Originally posted by mc5fan1968 mc5fan1968 wrote:

I am with the school of thought before the recent inflation of prices. I believe a fully "restored" and "mint" Rebel Machine should sell for around $20,000.00.

I can only hope you remain incorrect on your "school of thought" Ouch! I (and I'm sure most Machine owners) have almost double that amount into buying and doing a respectable restoration. Mint, concourse, or #1 cars aren't even driven based on my understanding of how cars are rated.
70amcpwr You just can't fix stupid.
SOLD 1970 BBO Javelin, wifes 73 AMX 360 4spd. Next project 1969 AMX
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc5fan1968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/25/2012 at 1:24pm
Restorations have always been a money pit that can go far above a cars resale value. If you are in it for the money, you are in it for the wrong reason.

AMCs were ALWAYS under-rated, under-valued and under-appreciated. I bought My Rebel Machine in 1979 for $600.00 with less than 90,000 miles. I wish I still had that car. I took nothing but dung for having an AMC. People are stupid asses, ignorant and too intercourseed up to know how retarded they talk.

I never thought they would have any real value. That was my "living in the past." I always said I would get another Machine but life and bad circumstances got in the way. A few years ago there was a fantastic one in Denver, Co for $12,000.00. It had been upgraded with a 727 trans and aftermarket A/C. It was mint looking R-W-B. I was assured it was a solid car but I was in financial trouble or I would have flown there to look and buy.

When I saw the yellow Machine on ebay sell for $40,000.00 I knew I had waited too long. Now every one is worth a million dollars. Like I said earlier, $9,000.00 would have got me a piece of dung, way, way, way worse condition than what I have now.
67Rebel770 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67Rebel770 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2013 at 2:05pm
All of this is pretty remarkable and very interesting reading material.  I recently picked up a 1970 Rebel SST x-code (390) that has been off the road since 1981, I bought it as a non-running car, the engine as it turns out was not seized, long story short, all these posting and comments are really getting me motivated with my car, good luck with the project and maybe we'll see each other at a AMC event in the future, that would be pretty neat!!!
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mc5fan1968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2013 at 2:17pm
I need to get the windshield washer nozzles so that I have fully functional windshield washer/wiper.

67Rebel770, how did you find your 1970 Rebel? Sounds like a good find.
mc5fan@msn.com
67Rebel770 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67Rebel770 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2013 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by mc5fan1968 mc5fan1968 wrote:

I need to get the windshield washer nozzles so that I have fully functional windshield washer/wiper.

67Rebel770, how did you find your 1970 Rebel? Sounds like a good find.

Long interesting story... I have been keeping my eyes open for a long time for a 1967 Rebel SST 343 (as this was one of my first cars as a teenager), of all the cars I had (and I've had lots), that '67 Rebel is the one I wish I had not let go of!  So a few years back I came onto a 1967 Rebel 770 4 door with a 290, it was too good of a survivor to not get excited about, 70,000 original miles (youtube link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocl2Ki5oPpU )

So I found the AMC of BC car club, joined it, and I let my passion for the Rebel become well known.  A long time member had this 1970 Rebel buried in his garage, he took it off the road in 1981, it slowly got buried in junk and almostt forgotten about.   Many members of the club had heard of this car but questioned whether or not it actually existed.  I guess I did a good enough job on my '67 Rebel to catch the attention of the owner of this mystery '70 Rebel
car.  After a couple years of begging, I finally got to go take a look at it, when I looked at it for the first time it was so buried you could hardly tell there was a car under all the stuff.  I bought it, we got it running (youtube link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9BdCDUsffc ) and right now it is waiting in line at a body shop to get some work done to it including a new paint job.  Hopefully this will be on the road by the summer of 2013! Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic