TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

70 Javelin Rust Repair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2017 at 3:44pm
Everybody had their favorites. Last 20 yrs I have had only sata guns. It's all in what you get used too
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2017 at 8:10am
Another week and another step is completed.  

Applied Epoxy sealer over the body work.  Had to wait almost two weeks before I could sand the epoxy. Without a spray booth and heat, I had to wait for the epoxy to cure.  I prefer to water sand most things, so, water sanding was completed and then primer will be applied.

The car is all covered and ready for another coat of primer. In the foreground is the Jeep Comanche I "WAS" working on until the little mishap with the Javelin trunk floor. Guess I'll get back to that next winter.

Yup!  That is the old 304 engine in the background. In the fall of 2015 the motor lost oil pressure and developed a knock. Just before the end of the show season and before the East Coast Indoor Nationals I had already paid to attend. I can't complain, bought the car with unknown mileage and drove the car over 53,000 miles. The motor still runs, with two quarts of Lucas and 3 quarts of straight 50 weight oil I did drive the car a few more weekends and to the Indoor Nationals without incident. 
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2017 at 7:08am
Congrats on job well done.
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
23baseball3 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 23baseball3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2017 at 12:21pm
Very impressive work.
1979 Spirit AMX 304/4 Speed AC
2005 Volvo V70R
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2017 at 9:16pm
Thanks guys for the kind words!
Thumbs Up

Edited by hassyfoto - Apr/16/2017 at 9:42pm
Murphy's Law:

hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2017 at 6:05pm
One more step closer!  
Applied another two coats of primer and a lot of block sanding. So, the next step was cutting in the edges and trunk jamb area.  You can see the rear body panel is painted. Sorry I never did take any photos of the trunk jamb area that was repaired, but I needed to paint this area as a priority so I could close the trunk lid and accessibility to refinish the quarter panel

At least I can start bolting some things back together such as the tail lights, bumper brackets, wire harness and trunk items as the spare tire.  

I was using the old side stripe as a buffer to keep from sanding any higher on the quarter panel. The objective is to mask a line for refinishing under the stripe. By painting only up to & under the stripe I can eliminate a large blend area into the sail panel area of the car. Although this is an area routinely used for blending, it is also an area that a blend can always been seen.   

I finally removed the decal an upon completion of all the block sanding in preparation for color refinishing of the quarter panel. 

The one problem that I know I will need to live with, whatever color variance I will have from the new paint next to the old & to some degree faded paint. Unlike most refinish work, I do not have the option to blend into the door and loose the color. The clear coat on the door has lost adhesion. I have applied masking tape only once to the door, even running the tape over my leg first and the tape still pulled the clear off. Trying to sand, clean, remove a decal which will most assuredly pull some clear coat off, and mask the door  for a blend will only result in further damages, more work and a dreaded spiral out of control problem that I don't need prior to the AMO Nationals.  I will need to live with some minor color variances issues if I want the car to make it to the AMO Nationals in 2 months.  I will deal with the adhesion issue when I refurbish the car in the next few years.

But this brings up some good points. The car was repainted in the early to mid 90's as best I can tell from the invoices found in the glove box when I bought the car in 2008. As a professional in the business of auto repair, when clear coats loose adhesion it is usually from just a few causes;
Use of incompatible materials or not properly mixed 
• Flash off/drying times too short 
• Formation of condensation on substrate between coats due to temperature fluctuations

There are a lot of discussions about paint on this forum and I don't want to use this thread for a paint discussion, but use of different paint products ( ex: PPG basecoat and a Dupont Clear) has been the biggest problem that I have encountered over the years. I have worked in collision shops were the owner selects a good base coat and then buys the cheapest grade of clear for that product line or in many cases I have witnessed, a clear coat that is not in the same line or family of paints.   Now, the reason I mention this is it takes a few to several years for the adhesion issues to show up. I have worked on many cars and called the paint rep to investigate an adhesion issue(s) and every single time it is human error. 95% of the time it has been a mismatch of paint products and in a very few cases it has been a failure of flash drying times or a condensation problem. On even rarer occasions it has been a chemical imbalance issue (improper mixing or improper mixing ration of the chemicals).  I can only remember one time that the issue was from the paint supplier and that was in the mid eighties when Base coat first became available to the body shops. 
Sooooooo, lesson is, mixing of paint products may not have an immediate effect on the car, but hazing, dye-back, loss of adhesion and a gambit of other issues is usually a result of not following the manufacture guidelines on refinish selection products and proper use.

Now I have one of those problems!

Edited by hassyfoto - Apr/17/2017 at 7:01pm
Murphy's Law:

target View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2017 at 6:12pm
Looks good buddy!
70amcpwr View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amcpwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2017 at 6:51pm
Looks great! Just a thought, I'm sure you don't want to but maybe before it's too late you should consider removing the entire stripe on that side and spraying it all from the stripe down. I know I would, especially w/known adhesion issues and the fact it will never match panel painting.
70amcpwr You just can't fix stupid.
SOLD 1970 BBO Javelin, wifes 73 AMX 360 4spd. Next project 1969 AMX
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/19/2017 at 5:55am
Originally posted by 70amcpwr 70amcpwr wrote:

Looks great! Just a thought, I'm sure you don't want to but maybe before it's too late you should consider removing the entire stripe on that side and spraying it all from the stripe down. I know I would, especially w/known adhesion issues and the fact it will never match panel painting.

I considered that option. When I pulled the stripe off the quarter panel it took several sections of clear off the car. I also have three small areas on the door where the clear has peeled ( I touched up). I am pretty sure if I attempt to pull the stripe off the remainder of the side of the car, clear will be pulled off on all the panels. Ughhhhhhh! Which creates a whole new set of problems. In attempting to sand ( feather edge) the quarter panel, the clear is breaking away instead of feather edging. Keeping this larger issue of the clear coat adhesion confined to one panel appears to be the better solution. It means I must live with the a minor mismatch of paint but it eliminates the possibility of painting above the stripe, which would mean the entire car.  
Decisions, decisions, decisions!

But you have an excellent suggestion.
Murphy's Law:

70amcpwr View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amcpwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2017 at 4:04pm
Just a thought. Take an exacto knife and cut along the stripe line, if it does peel it will only be where the stripe is. You should be able to make it back up w/either fill and sand or epoxy primer. In the worst case you could sand to the upper body line and roll your tape line back so it's not a sharp line when you paint.  If the color is off it will look like a shadow.
70amcpwr You just can't fix stupid.
SOLD 1970 BBO Javelin, wifes 73 AMX 360 4spd. Next project 1969 AMX
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
  Share Topic