TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

70 Javelin Rust Repair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2017 at 8:11pm
If anyone is wondering about the numbers I have on the side of the car. Well, before I cut anything off the car, I laid the replacement patch panel up on the car. I then measured from the top of the patch to the horizontal body line. This gave a proper reference measurement to double check the location of the new patch panel before welding. Glad I took the time to measure since I had rust so high up on the side.

Edited by hassyfoto - Mar/12/2017 at 8:19pm
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

AMXAL View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2017 at 6:24pm
Wow Kirby that is ugly.....so best of luck, been there once...maybe twice, looking forward to seeing your progress..Good luck
amcglass View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2017 at 4:45am
some of them pictures look awfully familure to me as I was doing the same .... check out 70 Donohue Repairs in this section and just see how close they were

Good luck looks great so far
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/16/2017 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by amcglass amcglass wrote:

some of them pictures look awfully familure to me as I was doing the same .... check out 70 Donohue Repairs in this section and just see how close they were

Good luck looks great so far

Hey Randy,

Yup, I am just following your lead. Seems them there cars seems to rust in all the same places.

I had the same issues as you, rust above the patch panels, so multiple patches had to be created by hand. What I did find was how well the center wheel well replacement patch worked for me as a patch for the outer wheel house. I had figured on a 1/8 inch offset so the overlapping panels would not bind or cause panel alignment issue (corrected with massive amounts of bondo by some, but not for me). So I feel pretty good that most of the welding work only required a very thin coat of body filler to finish up the panel repair. I have not posted any photos yet as I am currently working on some pin holes and hope to get the first layer of epoxy primer on the car in the next week or so. ( Cold front & snow storm put a damper on doing much work in my unheated garage). 

I have finished all the welding on the trunk floor which I am glad to be beyond that step. I don't bend and contort as easily as I did when I was younger. Crawling in & out of the trunk to weld up in the corners was making me feel like a 90 y/o man every time I got out of the trunk.  Ermm
Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2017 at 10:53am
I thought you were a 90 year old man Kirby! LOL
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2017 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by amxdreamer amxdreamer wrote:

I thought you were a 90 year old man Kirby! LOL

I am, I just look P-u-r-r-r-t-y for my age!
Murphy's Law:

hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2017 at 8:20am
With all the snow and cold weather it has been difficult to work on the car. My garage does not have heat, so, I use a torpedo heater. The problem, the ambient air tempature hits 65, but the metal on the car is still cold. Went ahead and prepared the underside of the car and inside the trunk for an application of epoxy sealer.

After I applied the epoxy sealer, I applied seam sealer with an acid brush. Since the areas getting the seam sealer will not be seen on the car I wasn't to concerned about a perfectly neat seam. Although the seam sealer looks pretty messy in the photos, it levels out while curing. (this is what happens to seam sealer when it is applied in a cold condition onto cold metal. Just not very smooth)

All the welds on both the inside and underside of the car had seam sealer applied. Since I used the overlap method of patch panel replacement on the car in certain areas and there is a 1.5 inch overlap of metal from the factory design on the trunk floor to rear body panel, using weld-thru primer and seam sealing both sides will maximize my anti-corrosion efforts.

Cleaned & epoxy sealed wheel well 

Inside of trunk floor against the rear body panel. This the area of the factory trunk floor that is made in multiple sections. So, every seam and weld was seam sealed for rust prevention.

Next step, allow everything to cure for a week or so ( cold weather slows everything down) and apply a second coat of epoxy sealer over the first coat of epoxy and the seam sealer.  

Guess I'll start the body work while I'm waiting for all this stuff to dry/cure

Murphy's Law:

purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2017 at 8:43am
Looks good to me!
Jerry_Gergich View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jerry_Gergich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/18/2017 at 5:07pm
That's some good looking work! And you've been making good time from the looks of it.
232jav3sp View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 232jav3sp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/19/2017 at 12:49pm
If I can ever stop working on other people's cars, at home, I can do this same repair to my Javelin!  Glad to see you getting everything done.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic