TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

70 Javelin grille

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbycoleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70 Javelin grille
    Posted: Jun/21/2013 at 6:34am
As some of you know I am a body man of 30+ years. I do Barrett Jackson cars for a living most of the time but, also restore any cool old car on the side. For the past 5 years I have been pulled into restoring grills and steering wheels for most of the cars due to the high cost of sending them out to be done. Here are a few pics of the latest project. It will be offered for sale here first before ebay or other outlets I have for selling reconditioned parts. Thanks Shelby
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2013 at 6:37am
Sweet! I've got a '70 Javelin grille I'll be repairing also.

-Steve-
target View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote target Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2013 at 7:17am
Looks great Shelby! What adhesives do you use?
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2013 at 9:39am
Originally posted by Rebel Machine Rebel Machine wrote:

Sweet! I've got a '70 Javelin grille I'll be repairing also.

-Steve-
I got you beat I have 2 Ouch
That is sweet way too nice for eaither one of my cars.
Dave ---- 
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
shelbycoleman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbycoleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2013 at 3:33pm
I am using a combination of plastic welding and 3M panel bonding adhesive. I figure if it will hold a quarter panel on a car it will hold a grille or steering wheel together. Shelby
BADJAV390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BADJAV390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/29/2013 at 2:24pm
Wow that looks great! Are you able to fix grilles that have the warp to them?  Just wondering, my dad and i always thought about how you could fix the warp because many of the grilles are good candidates to restore but the warps in the grilles often looks pretty bad when mounted to a car.  

Edited by BADJAV390 - Jun/29/2013 at 2:25pm
1968 AMX 390/4spd
1969 Jav 600 HP Alfano 390 Protouring
1970 Javelin SST 390/4spd
next..71 amx 401/4spd, 70 AMX 390 4spd, 69 sc/rambler, 69 AMX BBO 390 4spd
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/30/2013 at 10:43am

I don’t know if Shelby has an answer or not but I am going to say you will need to heat it bend it back and let it cool.

I say this because of work I did on my 70 dash gauge cluster/over lay fix I had to do. The upper part that bolts to the underside of the main dash frame was missing parts & warped. I made a jig or form and using a heat gun I was able to heat the edge  and have it fit the jig/form so it was flat. Once flat I used the form part and Plastex to make the pissing parts.

I do not know the temp you would need to get the grille to, to make it soft & bend back but maybe a powder coating oven on a low temp and work your way up till it will keep it’s shape when taken off the jig you made .

Dave ----

TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
shelbycoleman View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shelbycoleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2013 at 7:20am
I have fixed several grilles that are warped. I generally use the relief cutting method. After it has been cut it will let the tension relax. Then tapper all the cut edges and bond. The problem with heat is the warping has already stretched the plastic and leaves no where for the extra to go, so the warp tends to go from one spot to another. This grill was warped on the bottom like many others are but that is how I got it out. Stiffeners can also be added to help fight it coming back. Shelby
BADJAV390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BADJAV390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2013 at 10:10am
that grille looks awesome.  You should post a before picture!  Awesome job!
1968 AMX 390/4spd
1969 Jav 600 HP Alfano 390 Protouring
1970 Javelin SST 390/4spd
next..71 amx 401/4spd, 70 AMX 390 4spd, 69 sc/rambler, 69 AMX BBO 390 4spd
Petejav69 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Petejav69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/02/2019 at 1:55pm
Cost to rebuild grill
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic