TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Trading Post: Sale, wanted, vendors,shipping > For Sale
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

70 Javelin Body more photos/ not sold 8/29/19

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXRWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2019 at 3:27pm
Very true.Some states have no titles for early cars
Girthquake View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Girthquake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/23/2019 at 12:18pm
Just sent you a PM! I hope to hear back from you soon!
brownspirit View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2019 at 4:50pm
A lot of states don’t issue titles, but most require some sort of paperwork to register.  In other words, for example Mass is a title state, but you don’t need one to initially register it.  You do need something with the vehicles previous owners name on it (excise tax bill, old registration, etc) and a bill of sale reflecting the transfer from the previous to the current owner.  If you have no title and no paperwork usually a vin inspection is required before the vehicle can be registered.  If it is easy and cheap to register the car in your area, then get that done, it’s not that simple everywhere.  
69' BBB AMX 390/4-speed

69' s/crambler project

69’ International F210d Cummins/5+4
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2019 at 11:09am
Originally posted by brownspirit brownspirit wrote:

If it is easy and cheap to register the car in your area, then get that done, it’s not that simple everywhere.  

I agree with Andy.  So far ND is relatively easy.  If a vehicle doesn't show up in the ND database and it isn't on the stolen car list, basically it's a VIN inspection, photos, and a few forms to fill out and they'll cut you a title.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

jcw1970 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jcw1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2019 at 12:37pm
All depends on the DMV person you get. I went on a Saturday here in Ohio and the car was from New Hampshire and they told me I would have to come back when their DMV was open because they had to call them. Came back on a Monday and got a different person. Got the title within minutes. No mention of having to contact the NH DMV. Had my proof of purchase and inspection and that was it.  
70 Javelin SST
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2019 at 12:50pm
My neighbor runs barn find rods or whatever he calls himself. He's always getting titles for cars from various sources. Not that bad in Iowa - you have to put up a bond (which you get back later), a guy comes out and looks (Gene knows him by name, sometimes he just drives up, says hi, Gene, is that the car? OK, and leaves.)
But seriously, it's not that bad in some places. Folks tend to go by the worst scare stories from the worst states, or the worst experiences of others passed down over the years - and instead of that, they would be better served to at least contact their local authorities and try. If nothing else, contact a trooper - they are the ones sent out to deal with stolen cars and know the laws as well as anyone. Some DMV employees simply have never dealt with it - 
I have a heck of a time getting the title transferred for my 70 when I bought it even though I had the signed MN title and a copy of every title the car ever had. It was a non-standard VIN in 1970 and the -people at the county office were about to give up when a lady with more experience got free from her customer and came over and said "just a minute". She walked into a back room with rows of shelves and file cabinets and came out carrying a very thick black book across her arms like like in a silly TV show, literally blew the dust off as she walked out. 
She set the book down, went down through a couple of pages, and pointed to as spot and told the other gals - here, use this. 
That was it - done in minutes. 
Laws vary, people vary, experiences on the job vary, best to check personally each time and don't necessarily give up with the first person. 
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/16/2019 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by billd billd wrote:

I have a heck of a time getting the title transferred for my 70 when I bought it even though I had the signed MN title and a copy of every title the car ever had. It was a non-standard VIN in 1970 and the -people at the county office were about to give up when a lady with more experience got free from her customer and came over and said "just a minute". She walked into a back room with rows of shelves and file cabinets and came out carrying a very thick black book across her arms like like in a silly TV show, literally blew the dust off as she walked out. 
She set the book down, went down through a couple of pages, and pointed to as spot and told the other gals - here, use this. 
That was it - done in minutes. 
Laws vary, people vary, experiences on the job vary, best to check personally each time and don't necessarily give up with the first person. 

Bill hit it on the head.  The experienced ones in the DMV (and they do still exist) more often than not realize that the car hobby has quirks and keep their eye on the big picture, ie, this is not a stolen car, just a hobbyist trying to get a title.  When I got a title for the one Scrambler all I had was the NY registration slip as NY had no titles at that time.  The local DMV had a hissy fit and claimed I had to submit all the paperwork for an untitled car.  I went to Bismarck, talked to someone with as much grey hair as me, and I had a title in 15 minutes.  I do fear though in another 10 years that DMV staff will be giving more and more 'deer in the headlights' looks when they are looking at anything other than a 2030 Nissan something.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Girthquake View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Girthquake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/17/2019 at 1:42pm
I've sent you a message back- I'm ready to get this chassis rolling.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic