TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

70 Javelin/AMX brake booster

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2017 at 8:24am
Originally posted by 401MATCOUPE 401MATCOUPE wrote:

Armand, if you find place for parts let me know.....I have been looking for years, I have all the factory tools, so you don't get hurt by the very large spring inside.  AMC sold a kit, but I have never seen kits.

Ross,

Ouch, that doesn't bode well, not finding parts I mean.

Someone must be manufacturing or making their own parts. If this isn't the case, it makes me wonder how several small companies and a bigger one like A1 Cardone rebuild them? There must be some kind of seals or something involved, rubber or some components that wear out. I've never had one apart.

Curiously the original drum/drum booster lasted without trouble for well over 35 years, then the rebuilt disc/drum booster for a 70Javelin I installed (along with front discs off of a 75 Hornet) failed after about ten or twelve years. This is what has prompted me to begin hoarding and storing the darn things. Really what I should do is crap can all of em and go to a hydro boost system.

Armand
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
SirDigger View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirDigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2017 at 9:01am
Yeah its for my javelin.

1.) I´m pretty sure its stock, and the car is a Stock Disc Drum(Was a law in Switzerland, there the car was delivered)

Have to figure out the Number... but later that week, been busy at teh Job, to earn $.
2.) My Wheelsitze is nothing Special 215/50/15 and 235/50/15  just Cooper Tires.
3.) Pretty sure we did this, its a a while ..
4.) Yeah at all 4 Wheel, we first made the Mistake to have the circuits switched (Disc chamber to drum/Drum chamber to Discs due to the fact the chamber setup its visa Versa of the original MBC and willwood.
5.) Cant get a singlewheel to block, and i´have strong legs.
6.) will check later... But i bet i got rid of the box. (Makes no sence to keep them, since a returnmail is mostly more as the part is worth)

SirDigger&his german Friends are looking for Parts http://theamcforum.com/forum/the-german-amc-forum-ambassadorsirdigger-needs_topic83570.html
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2017 at 9:51am
Originally posted by SirDigger SirDigger wrote:

Yeah its for my javelin.

2.) My Wheelsitze is nothing Special 215/50/15 and 235/50/15  just Cooper Tires.

I should have been more specific, the stock disc calipers in front and the stock drum/wheel cylinder size in back?
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
SirDigger View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirDigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2017 at 9:54am
Front Willwood 11" Rotors
(non slotted) rear 10" Drums new everything Drums Pads Small Pieces& Brake Cylinders  
SirDigger&his german Friends are looking for Parts http://theamcforum.com/forum/the-german-amc-forum-ambassadorsirdigger-needs_topic83570.html
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2017 at 10:31am
So you replaced the front Bendix discs and rotors with the Wilwood kit?  Replaced the stock AMC MC with the Wilwood unit. Retained the stock rear drums but have installed all new parts, wheel cylinders, shoes, springs, etc.?  Did you replace any steel lines or hoses in the system?

How did the car stop with all the stock components in place? 
Roger Gazur
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
SirDigger View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirDigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2017 at 12:27pm
https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/aaz-54-73105/applications

This is the Brakebooster i have.

I ordered all the Willwood Stuff from Al at ControlFreak Suspension, along with his coilover system and the Hubs, 
so it should match. I´m not the first customer he served.

I replaced the Rear line with StainlessSteel line, the rear Hose from Body to the axle is a steelflex, the lines from the central connection point to the wheels are stainless too, and all hardware in the rear is new.
Exept the groundplate.

The lines inside the engine bay from the MBC to the circuit checkvavle arestainless steel new, some previous owner had the front lines from the check vavle to the frontwheels redone in Stainlessteel,
so i left them in place and just added the steelflex lines to the calipers.

There is brake force at all 4 wheels, i had it on the braketestbench rolls.

And i cant get to the car at the Moment...
I came home and my Companys Yard(i live on the familys companys main yard) guys left me an Sign at my Garage door
"Sorry Boss, we intercourseed up the power to your Garage, we fix it tommorow"  Ouch and the emergency door.. opens just from the inside.

MBC was benchbleeded acording to the Manual.
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2017 at 8:37pm
Well, based on your description of the problem and what you have done so far, all I can think of is three possibilities.

1) The brake system is locking up mechanically.  What I would do is start the engine, get the 'rock hard' pedal and maintain pressure on the pedal.  Have someone open one of the rear wheel bleeders and see what happens.  If the pedal goes to the floor smoothly, I would think that demonstrates mechanically the booster, linkage, and MC are mechanically functioning.  This ignores the possibility of the front calipers being locked up which I just can't see.  To think that all the pistons in both sides are frozen?  Not likely I would think.
2)  The brake system is hydraulically locking up.  This is a possibility but I just can't see it occurring.  A malfunction of the proportioning valve would only affect the rear brakes.  I can't see how the brake warning light could block off either front or back systems.
3)  Wrong MC bore size.  This is what I would think is the most probable.

BTW, the booster you have is the traditional Bendix dual diaphragm disc brake booster.

Edited by 6PakBee - Feb/27/2017 at 10:12pm
Roger Gazur
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2018 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by 401MATCOUPE 401MATCOUPE wrote:

Armand, if you find place for parts let me know.....I have been looking for years, I have all the factory tools, so you don't get hurt by the very large spring inside.  AMC sold a kit, but I have never seen kits.

Reviving this subject,

Ross,  I dunno, expensive for sure but maybe?

Harmon Classic Brakes
1094 Fieldstone Dr
Canton, GA 30114

(678) 880-9299
(678) 880-9766
(818) 860-1934

Edited by White70JavelinSST - Dec/31/2018 at 12:22pm
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/31/2018 at 12:28pm

More interesting information on this site.

This company might be the go to guy for a rebuild?

Couldn't possibly be worse that A-1 Cardone could they??

Any body had this company rebuild a booster for you?
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/01/2019 at 9:09am
If you are looking for a rebuilder, these are the guys:

Roger Gazur
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic