TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

70+ front spring perches

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70+ front spring perches
    Posted: Dec/14/2017 at 10:25pm
Do these by any chance interchange with the ford ones?
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/15/2017 at 4:40am
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

Do these by any chance interchange with the ford ones?

Hi, well it is a simple intetchange, only that the difficulty is removing the springs to do it.

71 to 73 Mustang / Torino perches will do.

You must use the original AMC pin, as it has the proper mounting hole width needed to mount to the control arm.

No special bushings are needed.

Now for kicker...

You can't use AMC springs unless you modify the perches for the wider diameter coil.

So for a no hassle fit, obtaining 71 to 73 Ford Mustang front coils will be an added cost, and may be easier to find in various spring rates from off the shelf.

If small body AMC, Mustang II - Pinto springs can be used.

Since the low profile perches are close to the control arm, zirk fittings will hit if used, when maximum compression is achieved when hitting bumps.

If wanting to keep enough space for travel, a .3300" spacer plate can be mounted between upper ball joint and upper control arm. Giving you a 1.6600" drop.

Your original bump stops cannot be used. But you can use shock travel limiters to pop on the shock's piston rod.

Plus side.

A new suspension geometry is created, to kill the effects of wide camber change under loaded cornering. You also get a 2 inch drop without using lowering plates.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2017 at 7:29am

Spring Perch on Amazon

Says they only have one left. You can get the other from JEGS for about US$10 more. I recently saw them on EBay too for about US$40.

Edited by CamJam - Dec/18/2017 at 7:35am
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2017 at 8:25am
I put a set of early mustang perches on a Spirit once. It required the use mustang springs (part of my reason - more spring options off the shelf) and some social pedestal mounts to be made. In the end it worked, but I don't think it was worth the effort.
AMO Newsletter Editor
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2017 at 10:46am
Hard to believe there is no AM vendor having these reproduced... checked Galvin's but did not find one.

Found '70-up AM spring perch bushing here:

http://fcrcmachine.com/rare-parts-spring-seat-bushing-1970-1979-amc-vehicles-15151/
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2017 at 11:31am
Send me your spring supports and I'll rebuild them...........   with new bushings. 
i wonder what SHIPPING would be?  Cool

I have a spare pair floating around the country somewhere   ;-)
I may have two or three other spare pairs as well, I know I salvaged a pair from a nasty Eagle - those would work fine but not be show quality as they have rust and would be pitted unless I filled the pits and powder coated them........... They are structurally and physically fine, but the pitting means they'll never look like this unless I take time to fill the pits, smooth them out then powder coat them.

WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2017 at 4:16pm
Are they plated as well Billd? Shipping would probably kill it. I’m just in the process if sandblasting front suspension parts and it would save some work if the Ford ones could be used, looks like I will have to rebuild the ones I have.

Opentracker does a roller bearing conversion on the AMC perches on an exchange basis.
matty 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2017 at 5:29pm
they do make them with bearings in them but very pricey 
72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
72 matador 304 grasshopper
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

matty 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matty 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2017 at 5:32pm
http://opentrackerracing.com/product/roller-spring-perches-1970-1988-amc-amx-javelin-hornet-gremlin-ambassador-matador-eagle/
72 matador 401 the beast
79 concord 2 door
72 matador 304 grasshopper
68 Rogue 406
93 Cherokee 4.0 5 speed

billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2017 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by WesternRed WesternRed wrote:

Are they plated as well Billd? Shipping would probably kill it. I’m just in the process if sandblasting front suspension parts and it would save some work if the Ford ones could be used, looks like I will have to rebuild the ones I have.

Opentracker does a roller bearing conversion on the AMC perches on an exchange basis.

Well........ normally powder coated, but geesh, wouldn't those look nice with a bright nickel plating!

I'd be wary of a bearing conversion - first would be why do it, my second reason is you'd be defeating some of the ENGINEERING and design - and be transmitting more road vibrations, etc.
Rubber isolates vibrations, harmonics, bumps, etc. and actually works with the springs.
GOOD bushings make a night and day difference on a 40 year old car. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic