TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

70 AMX steering knuckle material

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2013 at 10:17am
I guess I achieve the same thing by removing a portion of the top coil from the spring. Cost, nothing, effect's, no negatives and about 1/2 to 2" lower depending on how much spring is removed.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
ga70amx View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ga70amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2013 at 11:09am
Originally posted by amx39068 amx39068 wrote:

I am curious about why you did not check out the fully adjustable Control Freak setup that bolts right in and eliminates a lot of the older expensive parts not including this modification.

At $400 you were a good distance closer to the cost of the Control Freak setup plus you still more than likely have other worn parts like bushings that still have to be replaced.

I did look at Freakride and if I were going to race or even autocross this car I would have gone that way. But I just wanted to lower it without moving the track out like with the drop plates. I am not a fan of cutting springs, these car ride hard enough as is. And I had already started this project when I found out about the coilover option.
Corvette powered '77 280Z
'70 AMX 390 Golden Lime Metallic
'67 Chevy C10 stepside
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2013 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by ga70amx ga70amx wrote:

<FONT face=Arial size=2>After  several months I finally got this modification finished. The fabricator took the knuckles, cut off the top mounting hole boss, welded new metal for the lowering holes and tapped one hole for the steering arm. The downside of this is that it was expensive, like $400!!!! It dose allow you to lower the car without the wider front track with the lowering plates and you can use most of the original hardware. I did have to grind a little on the steering arms to clear the spindle bolt heads but that was minimal.

<FONT face=Arial size=2> 

width="640">

I've always heard the knuckle is forged steel.
Is that what your fabricator found to be true?
Did he tell you any of the specifics of his methods, what welding rod, welding procedures ?
It looks like TIG welding.

Edited by tyrodtom - Jul/17/2013 at 12:09pm
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
ga70amx View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ga70amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2013 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by tyrodtom tyrodtom wrote:

I've always heard the knuckle is forged steel.
Is that what your fabricator found to be true?
Did he tell you any of the specifics of his methods, what welding rod, welding procedures ?
It looks like TIG welding.

Yeah they are forged.
He cut the added metal on his CNC and beveled both sides. He made a jig to hold it all together and tig welded them. His shop is http://fatcatfabrication.com/. He does a lot of high end race car and custom car stuff, probably why he is a bit expensive. I talked to him today and he said if I wanted more made the price could be a bit lower.
'67 Chevy C10 stepside
ga70amx View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ga70amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2013 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by uncljohn uncljohn wrote:

I guess I achieve the same thing by removing a portion of the top coil from the spring. Cost, nothing, effect's, no negatives and about 1/2 to 2" lower depending on how much spring is removed.

There are many ways to skin a cat, this is the way I choose. Certainly more expensive than I thought it would be, but I didn't want to give up suspension travel and make my AMX ride even rougher than it already does.
'67 Chevy C10 stepside
prostreetamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prostreetamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2013 at 8:54am
I got my front drop by swapping out my stock coils and shocks for a set of Shockwaves with custom mounts I fabbed up. I also had an issue with backspacing when I swapped in the 13" Mustang brakes that I adapted to use. The 1/4" thick plate moved my custom ordered wheels out a little too far for my taste. I ended up cutting off 3/8" off the back of the spindles. I like the idea of an all-in-one caliper mount, drop bracket. You could make one by tracing your drop bracket on some 3/8" steel then tracing your caliper bracket on the same plate before cutting them out as one piece. I like the idea of the custom spindle that guy made and it sure looks like a quality piece. I was also well into my custom front end before Control Freak came out with their system or I would have considered it instead.
Richard Payne

Las Vegas,NV

72 5.7 Hemi Javelin

77 Prostreet 401/727 AMX,

[/URL]
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2013 at 8:49am
Originally posted by 69amxr 69amxr wrote:

I believe they are forged steel not cast.

Only T/A cars had factory forged steel uprights.

Read the unfair advantage.

I do believe they are cast steel.
Wagonator View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wagonator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2013 at 12:41pm
Narrow parting line = casting

Wide parting line = forging

Judging by your pictures, the knuckle is cast, the steering arm is forged.
ga70amx View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ga70amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/24/2013 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Wagonator Wagonator wrote:

Narrow parting line = casting

Wide parting line = forging

I did not know that. Ya learn something new every day.
'67 Chevy C10 stepside
amxess View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/26/2013 at 3:54pm
Nice job! Wish someone would offer dropped spindles for a resonable price. Since he already made them, maybe your fabricator could now make a bunch of sets and sell them.

I've cut springs a number of times-just remember by doing so you do get a stiffer ride. Used the plates too, and had to go with smaller tires to prevent tire rub. Control freak is nice as is a few other vendors setups out there but then you're getting into $$$$.

amxess
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic