TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

70 AMX Rotors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green70AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70 AMX Rotors
    Posted: May/17/2018 at 8:12am
Needing to replace the brake rotors on my 70 AMX. Bendix 4 piston system.  See them on Rock Auto and various other sites including AMC Venders priced anywhere from $30 to $125. Just wondering what is recommended.  This is not going to be a daily driver restoring mostly stock but going to do some upgrades to engine. Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Robert

green70AMX
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2018 at 9:06am
I believe the vendors and RockAuto sell the same rotor....I could be wrong.
You have to re-use your hubs, and have NEW, correct studs (from the vendors) pressed in.

If you do that you should be fine.

Paul
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
akimmet View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akimmet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2018 at 9:43am
I know at least some of the vendors get there rotors from Centric, the same brand RockAuto carries.
RockAuto now shows the pads too, before you used to have to search for them under a 1969 Dodge Charger.

Ramblinrev is correct, you need to use your original hubs with the original type studs. I haven't found any other studs that will work correctly yet.

The only time you need a press, is to get the original studs out. Using a hammer is a risky process and can damage the holes in the hub making any stud fit loosely.
Installing and removing new un-swaged studs with a punch and hammer is fairly risk free.
green70AMX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green70AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2018 at 6:44am
Thanks for the info 
green70AMX
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/21/2018 at 7:07am
green70AMX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green70AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/22/2018 at 11:33am
Thanks for info same rotors available on Rockauto for under $27 each have a pair on the way  
green70AMX
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic