TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

70' AMX Radiator

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70' AMX Radiator
    Posted: Apr/12/2017 at 12:17pm
Found a small leak going on with my radiator and looking for recommendations on a replacement? I see that rebuilt OEM replacements are available for $400 but since most of whats in my engine bay is not original anyway was thinking of going with a new aluminum. Anyone have recommendations on one that fits well? I am running an electric fan that attaches to the radiator so the exact OEM fit is not necessary but a direct bolt in with same hose locations would be nice.

** should ad for Moderators - not sure where this should have been posted so if it needs to be moved please feel free***

Hawaii-Jav View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hawaii-Jav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/17/2017 at 2:42am
I got a Griffin aluminum, never used. I bought it for my 69' Javelin. If it will fit your need, I'll sell it to you.
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/18/2017 at 10:30am
Griffin makes some really good radiators - albeit a bit pricey usually. Had one on my last Mopar but the car was built more for racing. I just use this car for casual cruising. I've found replacements ranging from OEM Blackstone for around $400, and various direct fit aluminum models ranging from under $200 to over $400 - and the really good Be-Cool - Griffins etc. for over $600.

I took mine out the other day and I'm going to run it down to a local shop this afternoon to see what they think about repairs. I looked up the date code and realized that its not the correct Blackstone for my car anyway. The date code is L7 which if I understand the codes correctly is December 67' so I'm sure its not original for a 1970 AMX. The other number on it is 3190479 - not even sure if this is the correct style for my car?

I think if its going to cost me over $100 to get it repaired I will buy one of the less expensive aluminum models out there. I found a three row aluminum one this morning for $226 on line.

Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2017 at 7:31pm
Sooo, got my radiator repaired, sanded it down some and painted with a coat of primer followed by a couple coats of semi - flat enamel, new hoses - even replaced the plugged up heater control valve while I was at it. Filled it up earlier and fired the car up to let it run up to temp, check for leaks etc. No leaks .... but the freaking paint bubbled all up AngryCensored.  I even asked the guy at the radiator repair shop if I needed to use high temp paint and he basically said either would work as they'll both come off eventually anyway. It only gets 170-180 degrees he says .....
Of course that's not considering that the top of the tank is going to be hotter than the bottom.

Now I need to pull the darn thing back out and try to clean the paint off to redo it....Dead

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic