TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

70 AMX Glove box lock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredrikg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70 AMX Glove box lock
    Posted: Apr/06/2020 at 12:50pm
Hi! 

I need a new glove box lock to my 70 AMX, lock insert is missing. I do have a 70 Javelin dash that I can take a lock from (without any key though). Is there a way of removing the lock from the Javelin dash and replace my missing? 

Thanks for helping out!
/Fredrik
1970390amx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/06/2020 at 2:19pm
What you want to do is a giant pain with no key, but can be done. If you open the glove box, or better yet have dash out and glove box insert removed you can get to a small slot in the housing. it has a tab that needs pushed in. If you have the correct key inserted in the lock this first tab is all you need to push in and the tumbler assembly will come out. If no key you can push each tumbler in one at a time as you apply slight outward pressure and the tumbler will come out. If you need pictures let me know. I will see what I ncan do.
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2020 at 9:14pm
I've just gone thru this, this is what you need to do:
1. Take pictures along the way, use the camera to get a good view of what the lock cylinder housing looks like.
2. I'm not sure if you need to remove the glove box liner or not, but you need to be able to actuate the latch by hand.  Get a decent, small flashlight to help you see what is going on.
3. trip the latch like the door was closed.
4. look at the pics below, find the small window near the mounting surface.  Its only about 3/16" square.
5. There are a series of tabs that you need to push in while trying to pull the lock cylinder out.  There is very light spring pressure on the tabs, so you may not even feel them when you push in.
6.  As you press the tab in, pull the knob out.  It will only move about 1/8", then you will need to push another tab.  If the knob doesn't move out, pull the latch lever and wiggle things.
7.  There are 5 tabs to depress, and there is at least one point that you will need to wiggle the latch lever to release the lock cylinder.  If the key was in, there would only be one tab to push to release (the first one).

The first pic is the disassembled unit.  The small black square is the hole that you need to access.  There are 4 brass tabs and one silver tab, those are the things that get pushed in to release.

Mike

1970 AMX, one step forward, one step back. Both steps cost time and money.
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2020 at 9:16pm
this pic shows the assembled unit. The screwdriver is pointing toward the silver tab that must be depressed to release the knob.
mbwicz View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbwicz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2020 at 9:19pm
this last picture is the side view of the disassembled unit.  The yellow highlighter is the 'Latch Lever' as I called it, and the thin black line is highlighting the tabs that must be pushed in to release the lock cylinder.

Mike

fredrikg View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredrikg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2020 at 10:50am
Great!
Thank you all for helping me. And happy easter!
Hope I can post some pics on my renovation soon.

Regards,
Fredrik
fredrikg View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fredrikg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/06/2020 at 10:23am
Read somewhere, maybe in another post here, that keys often fit in other cars. Had a spare key from a Rambler, I think and tried it. It fits! Will make things easier. Big smile

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic