TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

70 AMX BBP shadow mask.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70 AMX BBP shadow mask.
    Posted: Jul/31/2012 at 5:12am
The our next project started sooner than I thought. A local AMC club member and his daughter requested that Jim and I help them finish up their multi-year project. Now stop me if you have heard this one before. The car was completely disassemble for paint and body work but it took them a number of years just to get their paint and body man to finish up and return the shell. We started working on this project on Sunday and are progressing rather nicely.

The goal here is to get it back together as a driver for the local car show/cruise circuit and do it on a very tight budget. I am not sure if this rates as a post worthy project but let's see what the feed back is like.

I'll start taking and posting pictures today. We have been media blasting and painting things like the steering column support, parking brake pedal assembly, gas pedal support bracket, and so forth. Lot's of surface rust from years of lying around the garage waiting for re-assembly. I see many cans of etching primer and satin black paint going into this project.

This project also points out how important bagging, tagging, and photos can be to the success of a project. Most of this car was put into crates that kick around their garage for years. We are digging though box after box just trying to locate everything.

There seems to be something in the water in this area. We just finished up the fuchsia 74 Javelin project http://theamcforum.com/forum/74-javelin-refresh-for-javlynn-sue_topic41548.html and this project comes along. I mean what are the chances of our next project being a Big Bad Pink shadow mask car? LOL

Edited by pit crew - Jul/31/2012 at 5:20am

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2012 at 7:22pm
Got a few pictures. And here it is, in case you have never seen one before. A Big Bad Pink shadow mask car. This is how it looked when Jim and I were asked to step in and help complete the re-assembly.

The machine work for the engine had been farmed out but Jim did the assembly work so we have a start and we know it was done correctly. Nothing fancy, just a stock rebuild of a 390.

The inside was sprayed the same semi-gloss black as the shadow mask. The paint and body man did a passable job on the floor pans with the exception of the fact he never tried to fit them up with the seat rails. The rear mount points for the seat rails are too far forward. When we get to the point of bolting down the seat rails it looks like we will have to get creative.

Either he took more time with the rear area or it was in better shape to start with. From what I have seen so far I think it was in better shape to start with.

Ok, back on the Javelin project the buffer was both my best friend and my nightmare. When I think back on all the hours I spend on polishing the exhaust system I get weary. Meet my new best friend. With all the parts that have sat in crates for the past eight years or so there is a lot of clean up and paint work that needs to be done. I have a feeling that by the time this project is completed it will also be my nightmare.

After blasting with glass beads the parts all received a coat of self etching primer and then a coat of satin black. This is the color scheme the owner has picked out. I am a bit surprised at how well some of the parts have turned out in spite of the layers of rust.

Tonight we got the steering wheel/brake pedal mount installed. The wiper transmission arms are in. We installed the brake lines, booster and master cylinder. I'll grab some more pictures tomorrow.

This project is on a very tight budget so we won't be doing any fancy things like some of the other project we have done. There may be a few things along the way that may help others or, as this is our first AMX, we may be looking for some help. This is the main reason for this posting. I hope you find it interesting.

More to come.

Edited by pit crew - Sep/29/2017 at 8:12pm

AMX North View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX North Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2012 at 7:30pm
I don`t think I have ever seen a Shadow mask /Pink 70 but hey why not Wink. I am really familiar with the sand blasting cabinet and lots of satin black paint Smile.
70 AMX/390/Auto Hialeah yellow/Shadow Mask,           Kevin Jones

pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2012 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by AMX North AMX North wrote:

I don`t think I have ever seen a Shadow mask /Pink 70 but hey why not Wink.
It does kind of grow on you the longer you look at it. The owner is a very sweet young lady who is going look just "fabulous" tooling around town in this car. It is just too bad the budget is not there to update a few things for her along the way. We are trying our darnedest to get this done without breaking her budget.
I just don't know which is going to break first, the budget or me from spending hours in front of the blasting cabinet.
I can still hear the whine of the vacuum. LOL

AMX North View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMX North Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2012 at 8:18pm
It will be cool when its all done and she gets to drive and enjoy it Thumbs Up
Two tips for dealing with sandblasting all those parts
A tall stool so you don`t have to break your back standing there for hours and an I-pod with your favorite music so you don`t go to sleep at night with the sound of vacuum and sandblaster in your head Wink
 If there is anything I can do to help just ask and I will do what I can but I know the car is allready in good hands . Can`t wait to see more of the project.
70 AMX/390/Auto Hialeah yellow/Shadow Mask,           Kevin Jones

FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2012 at 9:40pm

Yes we want to see & hear of this project so post more!

I dont know how you feel but maybe to keep it with in budget have the customer do the blasting as it is time comsuming and anyone can do it with a little guidance.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/31/2012 at 11:23pm
Cool looking project! There are a few of us that have just finished a 70 and a bunch of others that have built a few so the help is there if you need it!
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2012 at 6:42am
Thanks everyone for the offers of help. I have a funny feeling that we will have a few questions or need a few pictures along the way. One nice thing is her dad has a complete 70 AMX parked near by so for the most part we can walk over and look when we need to check something. I'll get some more pictures of the progress later today. This morning I have to run back to our shop and buff a few small stainless trim parts for this project.

The young lady will be putting in some of her sweat equity time today. She will learn to love the blasting cabinet. Or not.

Her dad is not not amused when we refer to his 70 AMX as the "donor" or "parts" car. But it was all in good fun. LOL

I have a feeling that her dad's AMX may become one of our projects. The left front uni-body main structure along the base of the shock tower to where it curves down the firewall and under the car is toast. You can poke your fingers right through it. It is so badly rotted that the whole lower part of the shock tower structure is no longer attached to the car. When the car was driven you could see the left front suspension deflect. We suggested he park it until it could be fixed before someone got hurt or killed.

One thing that makes you mad is that before we noticed and pointed out the issue he had a local shop do a front end alignment. Short story, they replaced a lot of parts, charged a lot of money, and never once told him about the problem. I have no idea how you could do an alignment with the whole left front suspension moving around every time you touch it.

whizkidder View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizkidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/01/2012 at 7:00am
Originally posted by pit crew pit crew wrote:

Her dad is not not amused when we refer to his 70 AMX as the "donor" or "parts" car. But it was all in good fun. LOL

I have some friends that would call that second car a "Mexican Blueprint."
Ron Frost
marne1ancient @ gmail.com
910 nine two two 0563

"There is no limit to what a man can do, so long as he does not care a straw who gets credit for it. Charles Montague
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/05/2012 at 5:42pm
Things progress, slowly. A weekend car show managed by the local AMC club kind of slowed things down but some progress was made.

A bit of media blasting, etching primer, and a coat of satin black had the steering column/brake pedal mount looking good as new. The biggest hassle so far has been finding all the mounting hardware. The paint and body man disassembled the car about 8 years ago and most of the parts and fasteners were just dumped into crates with no bagging or tagging. Talk about a giant sized jigsaw puzzle.

Now I did say I would not hold back or cover up mistakes. We got the brake booster mounted and the master cylinder did not want to fit. The push rod was holding it way out. After double checking the brake pedal travel and all the mountings it dawned on us that we had overlooked the spacers. Those crummy little booster spacers. Just enough to throw everything off. After taking everything all apart again and re-installing with the spacers we only had to tweak the push rod a tiny bit to get it properly adjusted to the freshly rebuilt master cylinder. Due to the uniqueness of the master cylinder and the tight budget we did an in house rebuild instead of trying to find a replacement.  The new brake lines are all in place and ready for bleeding when we get to that stage. Reassembling a car you did not take apart in the first place is just so much fun.

The e-brake bracket and new e-brake cable were installed. For some reason the far end of the cable was just a tiny bit larger than the hole in the floor of the car. We had to clearance the hole by about an eighth of an inch to get it to fit. At some time in the past one of the mounting studs for the bracket was broken off. We had to drill it out and go the good old nut and bolt route. Makes it a two person job to get the bracket back out in the future but it was the best we could do for now give the budget we have to work with.

The rebuild kit for the heater box showed up on Saturday. I will start going over that on Tuesday. I will be sure to get some pictures as I am not sure how many people have gone through this step and how many people might be interested.

Edited by pit crew - Sep/29/2017 at 8:17pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
  Share Topic