TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

70 AMX 390 Clutch Issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 70 AMX 390 Clutch Issues
    Posted: Aug/11/2015 at 9:44pm
Just clocked about 1000 miles on my restored AMX and having some clutch issues. At rest or when there is no pedal pressure I am getting a clattering sound. It stops with the clutch pushed in. I am also getting some clutch pedal rub or grinding (slight)at the bottom of the pedal stroke. More like a bad squeak than a grind I guess. Coming from throw out area.

This is a new diaphragm clutch that I installed. It worked great with no adjustments initially. I may have done something wrong and it is showing itself at 1k miles.

The clatter is rotational and is coming from the bell housing very obviously (especially with the running car on ramps and me under it.)

Feel free to PM me or respond here. Having a great time in the car but these things drive me crazy and really step on the fun.
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2015 at 11:13am
Are you sure you have the correct T/O bearing collar? There is a diameter difference between the '68/9 transmission bearing retainers (the sleeve on the input shaft that the T/O bearing collar slides upon). A '68/9 large diameter T/O collar on a '70 (and up, small diameter) will cause chattering. Also check to see if the ball bearing T/O yoke pivot has become dislodged from its post.
Mike
RAZER View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RAZER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2015 at 12:40pm
I may not be 100% correct on this but I thought 1970 still had a 3 finger borg style pressure plate.
The stock pedal and linkage have too much travel for a diaphragm style pressure plate if I remember correctly.
Somebody more up to speed hopefully will chime in but something to research maybe??
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/12/2015 at 8:21pm
I can verify the 3-finger B&B clutch cover as stock; but never ran a diaphragm style.
Mike
badamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2015 at 5:59am
I may be calling what was in the car when I got it and what I replaced it with at re-assembly diaphragm incorrectly. The clutch did have 3 fingers according to what I am seeing in the service manual. Current clutch has no fingers but a bunch of small triangular shaped slim blades instead. If I have incorrect parts in there I am wondering why they would be fine initially and after 1k miles now I have the noise. I am thinking dropping the trans and giving it a look is unavoidable. Also have a rear main leaking as well. The car looks nice but the guy who put it back together is most certainly a novice!
401jim View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2015 at 6:49am
I went thru this with a 70 AMX for a friend. We tried an over the counter NAPA unit that they said "a direct replacement". Much to my surprise it would not release from flywheel to shift into any gear. We took out a B&B and put in a diaphragm. BIG MISTAKE! I hate doing a job twice. Lesson learned.
toolmanxiii View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2015 at 6:52am
You lose some disk surface more in the first 1000k with breakin .As it wears fingers or diaphragm get closer to the TO bearing . did you try readjusting it ? and is spring between the clutch lever and adjustment rod on ?
71 360 Hornet sst 83 2wd 360/727 Eagle wagon (crashed)
badamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2015 at 5:34pm
To 401 Jim, thanks for the info. The diaphragm is what was in it when I got the car in 2007, 10k miles ago with no issues. Only replaced it b/c I had the motor out and thought it would be a good idea. Took in my old one throw out bearing and all which they reworked/replaced. To tool man xiii, the spring between the lever and rod is in place. I did some adjusting of the rod (made it longer) and now the clutch engages/releases very early in the pedal stroke. To the point of silly actually. The rattle is still there. I am close to dropping the exhaust, drive shaft, and tranny just to see what is up in there. Also the oil coming out of the rear main has me really bothered. Is the adjustment you mention in the threaded item between the clutch lever and the pivot bracket?
badamx/Doug Bader
1970 AMX 390 4 Speed
Frost White/ Red Leather
1970 Schwinn Apple Krate
toolmanxiii View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2015 at 6:27am
Yes badamx that is the one I meant .you say they modified the old TO bearing. is the new one really loose on the slide? . IIRC they had a cpl different diameters. and if not snug will rattle like mad . 
71 360 Hornet sst 83 2wd 360/727 Eagle wagon (crashed)
badamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote badamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2015 at 5:10pm
OK, that's what I thought. All of this information will be really helpful. This is a great place to find things like this out. Thx
badamx/Doug Bader
1970 AMX 390 4 Speed
Frost White/ Red Leather
1970 Schwinn Apple Krate
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic