TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

6L80e to 401

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScreamerX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6L80e to 401
    Posted: Mar/25/2019 at 11:23pm
GM 6 speed automatic.  Nice gear ratio spread.  Anyone try adapting this to an AMC V8?
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2019 at 4:12am
Originally posted by ScreamerX ScreamerX wrote:

GM 6 speed automatic.  Nice gear ratio spread.  Anyone try adapting this to an AMC V8?

You can mate the bloody thing with an GM tranny adapter kit, and obtain an electronic shift convertion kit for older car upgrades. The hardest part is cutting the tunnel and your shifter set up.

To me the 401 is though torqy to use a late GM tranny in low range, so your 6 speed low without launch control will be for burn outs only. It took some getting use to on launching an Exorcist to beat a Demon in street setups.

Far easier to adapt a 6spd manual than to adapt that heavy and bulky beast. Input looked at gear ratio spreads, and you can make a th400 jeep tranny almost equal an 8 speed mopar srt Hemi / v10 truck tranny, with lower gear set, switch pitch convertion and a gear venders over drive. Though, it will cost an wee more starting from scratch.

I think even a late Hemi and tranny combo requires tunnel mods. So, without modding the tunnel being done, the th200 and A500 performance rebuilds will be the only option for more gears.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
Trader View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2019 at 5:20am
I read a thread a few days ago were someone took there 727 in and had it converted to a 46RH (A518). 4 speed overdrive, lock up torque converter, hydraulic control. They needed the AMC 727 case to install the parts and used a GM transmission mount. I believe it was these people that did the transmission conversion:
Seemed like an easier conversion to get overdrive, my opinion.

Found a Hemmings article on this:

Edited by Trader - Mar/26/2019 at 6:01am
SC397 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC397 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2019 at 6:16am
I did one for a Chap in England for his Jeep.  I haven't heard if he is driving it yet.

As with any kit, I had to do a fair amount of tweaking to make it all fit.

Edited by SC397 - Mar/26/2019 at 6:22am
1982AMCConcord View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1982AMCConcord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2019 at 6:32am
Originally posted by Trader Trader wrote:

I read a thread a few days ago were someone took there 727 in and had it converted to a 46RH (A518). 4 speed overdrive, lock up torque converter, hydraulic control. They needed the AMC 727 case to install the parts and used a GM transmission mount. I believe it was these people that did the transmission conversion:
Seemed like an easier conversion to get overdrive, my opinion.

Found a Hemmings article on this:

Interesting... Ken Parkman has a similar approach to using parts from the A500 and the 42RE to make a hybrid as well....  
AMXRWB View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXRWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2019 at 7:02am
I did the 700r4 swap years ago.Worked great.As soon as the newer hydromatics with more speeds become for sale used I will work on that swap.I will avoid a floor shifter and go paddle route.
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2019 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by ScreamerX ScreamerX wrote:

Bolting it up shouldn't be an issue as there's an adapter for that. The big question is what are you putting it in? They're a pretty big trans that will require a lot bigger tunnel.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2019 at 7:26pm
Unless your going to use it in a really heavy truck, pulling a really heavy trailer I personally think it's a waste of time and money to use a 6L80 in any car. A 4-speed automatic would be more than adequate for any car. If your even considering spending that much money I would really suggest a 200R4 built to the hilt. It's all mechanical, no computer, fits the tunnel really well and has a most excellent gear spread. This is the route I would be going if I wanted a overdrive for an AMC car.  

Tom
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2019 at 5:02pm
I recently bought a 2005 Expedition to pull my camper. I was looking for an 07-08 as they have the six speed autos instead of the four speed. More gears should be better, right? Well, for all practical purposes it makes little difference, at least in this case. Towing capacity and gas mileage were rated the same. In theory the six speed would be a little easier on the motor, but if the motor has plenty of torque you won't really notice it. The price and very low mileage (just under 100K!) on the 2005 sold it. Plus it was VERY well taken care of, no one believes it's a 2005! One guy actually said "You mean a 2015, right?"  With a small engine more gears keeps it in the torque band, with a large torquey engine more gears don't help as much in the real world. Plus there have been issues reported with the Ford six speed trannys, the 2005 has the older, proven AODE.

Edited by farna - Mar/28/2019 at 5:04pm
Frank Swygert
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/28/2019 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by PROSTOCKTOM PROSTOCKTOM wrote:

Unless your going to use it in a really heavy truck, pulling a really heavy trailer I personally think it's a waste of time and money to use a 6L80 in any car. A 4-speed automatic would be more than adequate for any car. If your even considering spending that much money I would really suggest a 200R4 built to the hilt. It's all mechanical, no computer, fits the tunnel really well and has a most excellent gear spread. This is the route I would be going if I wanted a overdrive for an AMC car.  

Tom
I couldn't agree with you more Tom. I installed a 200 R4 stage 2 built by Bowtie Overdrives and it changed the whole  the driving experience. Also installed their TC rated at 2200 stall for my '68 Camaro. The 200 R4 is dimensionally well suited for muscle cars.  My son installed a 200 R4 stage 3 behind his 550 hp sbc '72 Chevelle and he loves it.  
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic