TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 Trunnion caps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZCarGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 69 Trunnion caps
    Posted: Apr/27/2017 at 1:02am
What are the Trunnion caps suppose to be torqued at?
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2017 at 6:46am
Your description using the word 'caps' needs further refinement to distinguish between the vertical and horizontal axis pivot points of the trunnion assembly?

Edited by amcenthusiast - Apr/27/2017 at 6:53am
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2017 at 7:41am
I agree more definition is necessary.  At first I thought you were talking about the plastic dust caps in the center of the trunnion.  Been trying to find a source for those and thought maybe that was the topic.  I was getting all giddy! Big smile
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
AZCarGuy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZCarGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2017 at 8:24am
Sorry guys, It was a half hearted post. The Trunnion cap on the outside of the upper control arm. I'm in the process of rebuilding my suspension on my '69 Rebel SST Wagon. Looks to be it still had all of its original suspension parts. Lower control arm ball joint are riveted.  The original caps are on real tight. The only place I was able to find a original style upper control arm bushings was from Rare parts com. I've checked and ordered from the other vender. Now I have an extra set of 4 upper control arm bushings and a 2 thrust bearings. The new thrust bearing I received are too wide and hit the upper control arm. Won't seat between the arms. I think they are for a AMX? Might have to use my original thrust bearings? Scott 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2017 at 8:27am
Assuming you mean the big acorn type nuts on the upper trunnion. They are not torqued. You just start them on the trunnion for a few turns then start them in the arm and snug up. I always put a tack weld on the outside where it can be reached with a chisel or grinder just in case it needs to come off later. Just a small tack -- enough to keep it from backing out. When replaced it doesn't fit as tight in the arm as it did when the arm was new. It can work out over time...  If nothing else use some blue loc-tite on the arm connection. 
Frank Swygert
AZCarGuy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZCarGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2017 at 9:25am
Yes, the outer trunnion nuts. For a better word.(lol). Might have to try some JB Weld? (joking). I'll  just snug them up and keep an eye on things. Thx.
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2017 at 1:07pm
If you're using poly bushings, make sure you put lots of silicone grease on the side of the trunnion bushing-- between the upper control arm and the trunnion (in addition to where the bolt passes through)-- or it will squeak like a baby buggy.  Ask me how I know… 
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2017 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by farna farna wrote:

Assuming you mean the big acorn type nuts on the upper trunnion. They are not torqued. You just start them on the trunnion for a few turns then start them in the arm and snug up. I always put a tack weld on the outside where it can be reached with a chisel or grinder just in case it needs to come off later. Just a small tack -- enough to keep it from backing out. When replaced it doesn't fit as tight in the arm as it did when the arm was new. It can work out over time...  If nothing else use some blue loc-tite on the arm connection. 

Aren't these a nylock nut? 
AZCarGuy View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AZCarGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2017 at 2:25pm
I'm using the oem style bushings. I am talking the acorn nuts on the outsides of the upper control arm. What are nylock nuts?
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/28/2017 at 1:38am
Originally posted by AZCarGuy AZCarGuy wrote:

I'm using the oem style bushings. I am talking the acorn nuts on the outsides of the upper control arm. What are nylock nuts?

I spelled it wrong.  It's actually nyloc. It's a lock nut with a nylon or plastic insert that provides the resistance needed to keep the nut from loosening. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic