TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 T10 Clutch parts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 69 T10 Clutch parts
    Posted: Mar/22/2017 at 6:29pm

I have a 69 T10 in the 72 Gremlin with a 401.  5 years ago, we install the stock  Clutch Kit (NEW) - 10 1/2" - includes pressure plate, disc, throwout bearing, pilot bushing, alignment tool. 

As I remember, the 69 has the larger throwout bearing?  Correct?

What would you install to replace the whole system?  Any aftermarket improvements that would hold up better than the stock setup?

I was told once to use Hayes parts.  

Should I be using a 11" instead of the 10.5"?

Thoughts, vendor choices, information welcome.

thanks,
Woody
1972 Gremlin X CA-V8,4spd, Levi.

1969 AMX Regatta Blue and tan.
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/22/2017 at 6:38pm
Yes to the larger throw out bearing. I personally used the RAM clutch set. I can find the part number if you need it, but it was their B+B type, good for about 450 hp or so. A bit stiffer than stock on the pedal and a bit more grab, but nothing unmanageable. It comes with the larger bearing, btw. 

Chris 
woody View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2017 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by ccowx ccowx wrote:

Yes to the larger throw out bearing. I personally used the RAM clutch set. I can find the part number if you need it, but it was their B+B type, good for about 450 hp or so. A bit stiffer than stock on the pedal and a bit more grab, but nothing unmanageable. It comes with the larger bearing, btw. 

Chris 

If you can find the part number without much trouble, thanks.

I'm running about 360 HP.  No racing, getting old and hope it isn't going to break a leg ;-)

1972 Gremlin X CA-V8,4spd, Levi.

1969 AMX Regatta Blue and tan.
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2017 at 1:31pm
RAM 88499HDX is the part number, I got it from Summit racing. It is a 10.5" diameter and uses the 69 and earlier type of TO bearing. I found it is a bit, but only a bit, stiffer than a diaphragm type. I also noticed that the depth of engagement is quite a bit less. The diaphragm type I had before was about twice as far from where it began to grab to where it is fully engaged, compared to the RAM clutch. 

This is basically similar to what the cars had originally, but with a bit more grab. I also hope it is a bit more durable than the diaphragm type, which died on me in about 12,000 miles. 

Thanks!

Chris 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic