TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

69 SC Journey

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9091929394 95>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2018 at 9:05pm
Interesting detail about the difference in the red line width ( and position ) of the repop vs. an original tire. Curious as to why they would do a repop and not get this quite right.

There WAS a major change in the size and location of the red line stripe and the white line stripe on the original Firestone Wide Ovals. When originally introduced around 66-67, the Wide Oval narrow stripe was far closer to the tread side of the sidewall rather than closer the rim as they are now. Check out some vintage ads for these tires or look in some original OEM car brochures of this period. Olds Toronado for example.
I wonder if Good Year made a running change in the sidewall specs on the CWT Polyglas during the production life of the original line of tires.

Edited by george w - Dec/20/2018 at 6:35am
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2018 at 10:25pm
1.5 days to load:

It is now the Monday morning before the MCACN show.  There were a lot of small things on the list today, but having the full day made it feel better.  Bruce was coming over after breakfast to spend the entire day and even came back in the evening.  We started off the day with finishing the rear 1/4 inner panels.  The NOS armrests needed screwed on, and what a bit of pain they are getting that rear screw in - it was nice having the extra hand holding it while I used the stubby screwdriver.  A couple more screws and the mint original ash trays snapped into place and also the setting of the rear window cranks - the back seat area was done!  We moved to installing the freshly restored rear view mirror and the sunvisors.

Brakes and what to do with them were up next.  The master cylinder needed finished up and we still had caliper bleeder problems.  Deciding that the bleeder problems were not solveable before leaving and hoping to get some level of brake pedal for the show, I purchased some 3/8-24x1/2" screws, and Bruce and I went about bleeding the front calipers as best as I could through the leaky bleeders and then quickly threaded in the teflon coated screws.  Not great by any stretch - but mostly stabilizing the leak situation for the time being.  We got a slight pedal from the exercise, stopped "the bleeding" and were able to swap out the cap and retainer for the final prepped pieces and moved on...  The calipers need to come off in January and have the bleeder faces re-machined (thanks White Post for not handling that during the expensive rebuild...Angry)

Bruce cleaned up choice pieces of the bundle of factory vacuum hose I picked up in Kenosha last summer, and I worked at figuring out what to do with final scoop attachment.  The scoop came with nice stainless hardware, but it would still turn in the holes, and I couldn't hold the socket heads once sitting on the hood.  Soooo, I decided to put a very thin slot in the ends of each screw with the dremel disk and then super glued the screws in position.

Mid-afternoon, Bruce and I started working on installing the door mirrors.  I learned quickly, that you can't assemble them onto the doors fully assembled - just start with the mirror bases and assemble it on the door.  I had welded flange nuts on the inside of the door and hand modified special machine screws for the mirror attachment several years back, so glad I did.  Gives a firm feel to the mirrors.

After dinner I recruited some family help.  It was Monday evening and I needed to finish the door panels and the undercarriage needed cleaning for the show.  Bruce, Eric and Denise all dug in on the undercarriage as I prepped the door panels to be popped onto the car:

I cut out the openings on the new panels, tested and set the clips (which are not easy to do on new panels (have to tap each one into place without damaging anything).  Once the panels popped on the NOS armrests and handles were easy peasy.

The RWB headrests installed and the interior mostly finished:

To finish off Monday night, Eric and I brought down the restored original trunk mat.  I wanted it to get "happy" before loading in the jack and spare tire.  It was a bit stiff, but complied reasonably well.  After 24 hours it settled in even better:

One more full day left!

1 Day to load:

Tuesday - the checklist was loaded with some heavy items, and it all needed done:

When Bruce arrived, i put him on careful cleaning of the NOS etched doorsill plates:

I had some grille mounting hardware that needed black phosphated, so I quickly finished prepping and cooking those for install later in the evening.

Bruce took care of modifying the NOS 1/4 trim cap plastic pieces to my request - After looking at original pieces and the splits around the holes and the use of the tapered phillips heads, that it would be better to chamfer the holes on the plastic part.  When finally installed on Wednesday morning, I did find that they fit much better.

Next up was finalizing all the vacuum and washer lines to the hood and distributor and little finishing touches under the hood.  Bruce took care of removing and careful cleaning of the NOS jack pieces:

The Hurst shifter handle had to go on.  Years and years ago, I was given the tip that later 60s Mustang also used the 4 speed aluminum handle, so I grabbed one from a Ford vendor at Carlisle and packed it away... but I had never double checked the thread...  Problem #1 of three on Tuesday... The shifter arm is 3/8-24.... the aluminium handle is 3/8-16, but otherwise it is 100% correct including the print style of the "4".  Weighing options, the only one was to take the handle and tap it with the 3/8-24 tap, knowing that I was headed for a steel thread insert regardless later on.  A simple solution at the moment, and it worked well enough for MCACN.  After Thanksgiving I ordered steel inserts from McMasterCarr to fix the handle permanently.  Trouble averted... for the moment.

As the day headed into early afternoon, the pressure was on to get the car on the ground.  It was time to get those wheels on, and get it off the jackstands.  There are points in a restoration process that make you pause and stare.  The minute I stepped back from installing the wheels and NOS lug nuts, I FINALLY got a glimpse of what it was going to look like, but still anxious to know what the overall stance was going to be - amazingly it was nearly 3pm on the day before leaving and I had no idea how car stance was going to end up (torque link install changes everything a good bit).  First peak with wheels:

A few minutes later the stands were removed and I had good look at the all important attitude!  Car is still sporting its original springs all around!

Wow - its looking close!

Brian came straight to the shop after he finished work, and he and Bruce and I continued working at assembly.  Brian installed the door sill plates, while I brought down the holy grail - the NOS steering wheel and pulled from the 25 year old shipping box - boy I hadn't looked at this beauty for years - sure glad I jumped on it for the $140 price tag all those years ago!!!!

Brian and I did a 15 minute "alignment" on the tie-rods and got the tires close enough, to allow me to get the steering wheel on and then we focused on dropping on the hood scoop finally and then getting the battery installed with hold -down.

The celebration of the hood scoop and how well the slotted screws worked for assembly was short lived as we turned to the battery assembly.  The battery dropped in but was super tight.  The reproduction hold down bracket was a totally different story - Problem #2 for Tuesday was in full swing...  The bracket was too short on length and too wide on the width to work on the battery plastic topper.  Playing with options, the only thing that affected change was putting my foot inside the bracket and pulling with all my might against it - I got it about 50% of the way before calling Eric in to show us how strong he was.  Young buck got it to about 90% fit before maxing out.  Brian then carefully filed the rubber coating and then we brute forced the bracket over the battery in the tray.  Boy there is no finger room to mess with the J bolts on these things!  Crisis #2 narrowly averted for the day...

With the hands still available and running out of evening hours, we all worked on assembling the grill into place which went pretty well with careful screw assembly.  We dropped in the handmade stainless hood pins and checked the hood alignment - all good.

Before calling it a night, Brian took on the challenge of getting the NOS wiper arms on the pivot shafts and Eric and I installed the jack and spare tire in the trunk and slapped the stickers on to finish up the trunk.

After everyone else left, Eric and I wanted to get the air cleaner on, so we dropped the base on and aftermarket Fram filter (for transport) and the super nice original air cleaner lid I had squirreled away.  My heart sank immediately as Problem #3 raised its head.  What I thought was a correct NOS carb -air cleaner rod, turned out to be wrong and was too short.  - what to do?  Its 10pm on the night before leaving... I frantically text RamAirRick about the issue hoping a backup plan in Chicago could be pulled off if needed and then I instructed Eric to bring down Box 1A and 1B to see if I had any other rods to try.  After emptying the boxes, we located the original bent, battle scarred and grimmy original shaft.

Like a NASCAR pit crew fixing a smashed up car, we puleld out the anvil and hammer and straightened the rod, I hand filed as much of the battle scars out of the shaft as possible and we chased the threads with a tap, before Eric threw it in the blast cabinet for a cleaning and I yanked out the Eastwood plating kit and prepped for zinc plating.  In just 15 minutes from locating the alternate rod, we had it completely restored and installed on the car, and finished up the air cleaner assembly before collapsing for the night.  Crisis #3 averted - time for bed....    only a partial morning of time left to get it on the trailer and the list was still too long...  Zach was due to arrive at 10am or so the next morning.

Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
67 Rogue 290-4V 4spd Conv
A-Scheme SC/Rambler (69 SC JOURNEY)
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/20/2018 at 10:46pm
D-day, time to load day!

An early up and at it.  My wife was taking care of packing and prepping for the trip on her own, while I worried with getting the big package ready..  Just about every day for the past week I was generating new punch lists daily.  After coming back from the event and digging through the rubble in the garage, I found the last punch list.  It really was all out war on the last morning.  The items not crossed off on the list were the things completed dead last.  Considering the plan was that we needed to load by 11am, this list was way too long, and yeah - it was too long!

Locating the hood pin scuff plates the night before, I realized that they needed polished and still needed adhesive tape - another trip to the hardware store to start the day off...  Bruce arrived a short time later and I gave him the job of polishing, while I worked to finish the rest of the list.  Zach was arriving about 9:30 and the morning was flying by.

I got busy working on fitting the NOS headlight bezels.  You really need to be careful with these on fresh paint.  After a light edge filing and first fitting it was clear that I needed to get the dremel out and relieve a little edge "flash" in spots to fit the fender opening without destroying white paint.  This meant time consuming on and off again fittings - but eventual success.

Those great looking repop lanyards (Wink) were a quick assembly and final height setting of the hood pins and scuff plates as well.

Zach arrived around 9:30am and the list was coming down but not done.  I still had to get the 1/4 end caps on, which needed a little fitting around the 1/4 window rubber seal, and focused on the getting the plastic seat side covers on.  The repop side covers were early 90's versions without the screw bosses on them.  I am hearing that the newer ones are better now so I will probably change out the older ones in 2019.  For now I solved the problem of having no screw bosses by stacking up washers for spacers on the back side - worked out pretty well.

The deadline now past and the list still not finished, Denise came out to see what could be done to help.  I had to love that Zach suggest she clean the NOS floormats with a toothbrush LOLLOL

Several years back I had packed the NOS floormats away with a good lathered on coat of boiled linseed oil - that oil had dried down to a gum, and now needed removing to install.  Denise was a great sport and cleaned all the grooves and insets with the toothbrush and cleaner.  They looked so awesome as we threw them in the car at the very end!

Zach took care of final lug nut tightening, and I started to pull out the tach components.  A NOS SC/R mounting kit had been waiting its turn and it was time now to get it out.  I will just say, make sure you get some time to do this and get a little help - you need the extra hand.  It was definitely a rushed assembly on our part - with the clocking ticking way past the deadline.  We also found out that you have to cut the light socket wire and re-splice it once it is run through the hollow nut.  Not a fun time to figure that out late in the game.  To move the car to the trailer, we had to take the tach lighting off the list and left it for post-show followup.

We had an extra helper at the shop patiently waiting for us to finish so we could get the car pushed out and lined up for wenching into the trailer, so as soon as the tach was mounted, we opened the door and took the car out.  I still had to apply a few under hood decals and touch up a few spots on the white paint - but I ended up doing it after this first outside photo was taken:

The last time the car was outside was about 5 years ago on 4th of July when I was blasting the undercarriage.  What a difference this time!  The sad part is that I took just enough time to quick shoot the photos but had no time to enjoy the moment.  I can remember quick texting the photo to RamAirRick and Kirkwood so they could finally breathe, but we were moving fast to load and go.  We scarfed down some lunch, yanked the car onto the trailer, tied it down, covered it up and took off heading west just before 3pm on Wednesday.  We had to pick up my parents in Bedford PA along the turnpike and get as far west as we could Wednesday night - little did we know that we had a big storm ready to chase us the whole way!

We pushed it as far west as Toledo by 10pm, and headed off to bed, knowing the Thursday morning could be a little problematic.  Zach woke up at 3am, saw the weather deteriorating faster than expected and hit the road to arrive in Chicago by 7am.  He made a good decision, as we left Toledo about 7:30am and by 9:30am was in the middle of very treacherous road conditions between Elkhart and Southbend, IN on the turnpike - cars, trucks off the road, tipped over, etc.  The snow caught everyone including the turnpike off guard and it was no place to be with a fresh restoration in tow!

By lunchtime Thursday, the SC/R rolled off the trailer in the convention center safe and sound:

Friday was detailing day, and I let dad and my wife do most of the leg work - I was exhausted but relieved we had actually made it.

I am borrowing the awesome photos that official MCACN photographer Tim Costello took as he captured the moments leading up to and through the unveiling so well:

Saturday, November 17, 2018 10:45am:

It was an honor to have so many of the "team" on-site at the unveil that spent their valuable time making this car become a reality.  Over the years, I was very intentional on engaging others with a strong passion in the AMC hobby to do critical things I was not good at.  Our hobby is filled with a growing cottage industry of experts that have a passion and love for authentisity that ensures the highest quality and the closest we can recreate what Kenosha sold new.  The guys in the photos above represent about 50% of those AMC experts who contributed to this build and their involvement was significant.  Thank you each one for making the above moment a reality. ClapClapClap

Merry Christmas everyone!  It was a very memorable 2018!

Edited by kcsamc - Dec/20/2018 at 10:53pm
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/21/2018 at 10:27am
Awesome recap Kevin! I think all involved with the MCACN effort this year are still recuperating and licking our wounds! It was quite an honor to stand with you and the others during the unveil, and so great to have the car there. Next time we'll let Roger take it to pick up the sandwiches!
AMO Newsletter Editor
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2018 at 3:12pm
I wanted to open up the build thread here to cover questions from anyone that wants to "dig deeper" into a subject.  I may or may not be able to answer adequately, but if I don't I can probably get you pointed in the right direction.

There is some discussion on making this a restoration stickie, so by your questions, and opportunity to answer them, we can have a better reference document for future restorers.

I have some subjects to cover yet, that I will add over winter and that all important video to come sometime in January with that Woody Woodpecker rumble, so stay tuned.

I am also working on several personal "top ten" lists of various topics from the build that should be fun for everyone!
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
thmil View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thmil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2018 at 2:17pm
Kevin, Beautiful! Thank you so much for all you have done and posted. I will be checking often as I am also on a journey with my '67. Question: Is the 1/4 vent window rubber weather stripping reproduction or NOS? In either case where did you get it and how did it go on?
Thanks
Tim
thmil
1967 American Rogue Convertible
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2018 at 6:09pm
Great thread Kevin, looking forward to seeing this amazing car in person!

Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2018 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by amxdreamer amxdreamer wrote:

Guess you are driving east again Tony! LOL
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
kcsamc View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kcsamc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2018 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by thmil thmil wrote:

Kevin, Beautiful! Thank you so much for all you have done and posted. I will be checking often as I am also on a journey with my '67. Question: Is the 1/4 vent window rubber weather stripping reproduction or NOS? In either case where did you get it and how did it go on?
Thanks
Tim

Tim - best wishes on your '67 project!; Tim I am assuming you are referring to the door vent wing window rubber.  I was very fortunate that my vent wing rubber was in excellent shape and didn't have to find a replacement for it, or have to try to change it out.  I guess that was one of the very few benefits of living in the northeast - rubber stays nicer!

Interestingly though, vent wing rubber was the #1 question asked of me by American owners at MCACN last month.  I forwarded that information onto one of our vendors, and was told that new hardtop/convertible vent wing rubber reproductions are in the works over the next year, so if you can afford to wait a little longer, I would sit tight and save your cash to spend as soon as they come out.

The rubber is attached to the vertical (felt) frame with a wide head rivet.  I believe that Restoration Specialties may be the only ones I would trust with that assembly.  While costs will be a bit steep, the best end product for your car would be to send your vent wing frames and new reproduction vent wing rubber to Restoration Specialties at that time and have them install the rubber with rivets and also redo the glass channel felts.
Kevin Shope
1964 Classic 660
amxdreamer View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/28/2018 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by kcsamc kcsamc wrote:

Originally posted by amxdreamer amxdreamer wrote:

Guess you are driving east again Tony! LOL

Driving East is the only way for me to see all those great AMC's in one place and to hang out with all the crazy AMC folks!
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9091929394 95>
  Share Topic